Which do you Value More: Physical Strength or Intelligence

Lol what? Football is just more fun to watch.
What is "fun-to-watch-ness" though? The quality that stimulates the reward centre of your brain and releases endorphins and makes you feel "good"?

Maybe that's how chess makes geniuses feel. A lot of stuff that appeals to our base instincts (sex, violence, etc.) lights up parts of the brain that haven't changed appreciably in millennia.

Just Devil's advocating here, don't take any offense not intended.

Better question:
Given a choice would you rather be:
Short and brilliant (3 feet tall and top 10 most brilliant)
or
Tall, handsome and retarded stupid (6'4", 28 year old Brad Pitt handsome but third grade intelligence)?

That's certainly not automatic. Stephen Hawking would have been bottom half of the NFL in earnings. Work ethic translates to earnings more than plain intellect. If it's the world's strongest vs the world's smartest, I wouldn't really want either but super fit dummies do a lot better socially than weak geniuses.

You are looking at extremes to make broad points about groups. Averages are much more useful than Stephen Hawking vs Odell Beckham comparisons.

On average jobs that require logical thinking are more highly rewarded than jobs that require brute strength. This has been happening since the industrial revolution and the gap is only becoming larger with the growth of IT

Sounds like a question from a physically strong person with no intelligence. That question is a shoe in. Intelligence wins all day. I mean, just look at inventions, discoveries, and engineering... People who couldn't lift a gallon of milk changed our world forever.

The wheelbarrow is a perfect example. A smart person said "I can't lift that, but I can still move it." So he invented the wheelbarrow.

Intelligence, easy.

You can lift your ass off and get yoked, you can't teach natural talent.

You can train to become more intelligent too, it's not just something you're born with.

I think more men respect a strong man than a smart one.

Otherwise chess tournaments would have Superbowl viewing numbers, no?
That’s possibly linked to strength being easier to relate to for someone who isn’t strong than intelligence is for someone who is stupid.

Intelligence can get you almost anything brute strength can; not so the other way around.

But is it about gaining respect or achievement?
Good question. Humans are herd animals so on some level I think everything we do is calculated to gain esteem from our peers and society.

I guess I lean toward intelligence only because one super smart person has the capacity to help humanity more than one super strong person does.

With moderate health and longevity being assumed, our mental abilities are all we have. We are weaker than any animal over half our size. Our strength accomplishes nothing in this world.

That said, I pride myself on both.

I say 75% intelligence, 25% physical strength.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I think we all unanimously agree that intelligence will take you further in life financially and career wise.

But I think our animal instinct is still in us and we all, perhaps secretly, admire the strong man more than the brainy man.

Back