Which do you Value More: Physical Strength or Intelligence

Strength over intelligence makes a happier life, as long as you have reasonable intelligence. You can still benefit from others' intelligence using their inventions and using their businesses or services, but being below average physically just makes you comparatively less attractive with no benefit from someone else's strength.

Intelligence will gain more individual success but strength will gain more respect from your peers imo

I think more men respect a strong man than a smart one.

Otherwise chess tournaments would have Superbowl viewing numbers, no?

Sports are an escape, not an ideal. People enjoy sports because they can detach from their own goals and stresses.

Strength over intelligence makes a happier life, as long as you have reasonable intelligence. You can still benefit from others' intelligence using their inventions and using their businesses or services, but being below average physically just makes you comparatively less attractive with no benefit from someone else's strength.

I can pay someone to move my piano

Younger: Intelligence.

Now that I'm middle aged: Strength.

Honestly. The older I get, the more unhealthy I see my peers. My demographic spends their days in a cubical..getting unhealthy. Then, they struggle with shoveling snow, and have heart attacks by 50.

Shit. I can't believe I'm typing this. Me just a couple of years ago would say "Intelligence, hands down."

Don't get me wrong, I still read a lot, do sudoku before I fall asleep at night, and me and the missus do crosswords together. But, the older I get the more I feel proud that I'm (relatively) fit.

I'd rather be the guy with an IQ of 100 and live a ripe old age and play with my grandkids than be the guy with a 150 IQ and die raking leaves at 45 because I spend my days typing TPS Reports in a cubical.

Now, in a week, if I slip a disc in my back while wrestling with the high school team I coach, then I revert back to "Intelligence is the most important aspect for people".

There is nothing stopping a smart guy from lifting his whole life and staying strong.

Intelligence, easy.

You can lift your ass off and get yoked, you can't teach natural talent.

Moving something heavy is a 1 time minor convenience, not a benefit to your life or a societal value.

Money buys all of the above and a higher intellect in a modern economy leads to higher earnings.

The more advance the society, the more value intelligence is to it.

Humans don't become the strongest species on Earth by out muscle other animals.

Which is the more valuable in our society? Or is a healthy balance of the two the best way to go?

Intelligence and it's not even close.

Give me the choice of Superhuman Strength or Superhuman Intelligence, I'll take the Stark's brain over Steve Roger's biceps any day:cool:

intelligence, clearly

although am still impressed by feats of strength when seen in person. As a child we went to the RB B&B circus down in San Bernardino, but my dad's friend's Dodge Omni got stuck in the deep sand. What do we do you ask to get it out?

My dad simply deadlifted each end of the car out of the sand, the most G thing I've ever seen

Another instance, my dad accidentally locked the keys in his car picking us up from our mom's, I was like 6 or 7. Once he realized he did it, he looked at us and said 'don't do this' and then proceeded to punch through the window like it was nothing, then grabbing the keys

Last edited:
I think more men respect a strong man than a smart one.

Otherwise chess tournaments would have Superbowl viewing numbers, no?
That's not really a good gauge. Look how few people like to watch real wrestling vs Rasslin, or BJJ/no gi grappling.

People like to watch spectacles over anything else. I mean think about it, NASCAR is so popular and it's not like those are some world class athletes.

I'd rather have a mixture of the two. Although not so intelligent that you have the mental/social issues that normally come with having really high intelligence. There are days when I sit around looking at people and just get depressed at the fact that most of them are barely one step up from primates throwing shit at each other, especially on the highways.

Terrible place to have this discussion. We all know the average sherdogger will be found benching teh 275 at their Mensa meetings.

Money buys all of the above and a higher intellect in a modern economy leads to higher earnings.
That's certainly not automatic. Stephen Hawking would have been bottom half of the NFL in earnings. Work ethic translates to earnings more than plain intellect. If it's the world's strongest vs the world's smartest, I wouldn't really want either but super fit dummies do a lot better socially than weak geniuses.

Back