Which area of boxing is a kickboxer most vulnerable in?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey fellow boxers and boxing fans. I am gonna spar a kickboxer tommorow, using only my boxing.
Which tactics would you employ that he will for sure be less familiar with?

I am already planning combos like jab followed by overhand right. Just pump in punching combos, which kickboxers generally don't do.

Is there anything else you can suggest?

No low kicks or clinch allowed.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
You're going to get whooped lol. Kickboxing allows you to use longer yet also powerful strikes that keep even a bigger fighter at bay.
The jab will destabilize them when they attempt kicks which are usually telegraphed and immediately follow up by attaining dominant angle of attack, try and create a T formation.
Smother them, get on the inside.
You should bait one of their kicks with the intention to immediately counter - quite often when people attempt kicks, they forgo defense.

You're going to get whooped lol. Kickboxing allows you to use longer yet also powerful strikes that keep even a bigger fighter at bay.
The jab will destabilize them when they attempt kicks which are usually telegraphed and immediately follow up by attaining dominant angle of attack, try and create a T formation.
Smother them, get on the inside.
You should bait one of their kicks with the intention to immediately counter - quite often when people attempt kicks, they forgo defense.

I should mention that I will be using 16 Oz boxing gloves to hide behind. His will be much smaller, maybe 10, Kickboxing gloves

Isn't spacetime the guy who comes in here and bashes boxing?

Here's how much power I can generate by just flicking my wrist.

Just study footage of Harry Greb and execute it in the ring.

Most kickboxers probably have never seen any of Greb's fights.

Just study footage of Harry Greb and execute it in the ring.

Most kickboxers probably have never seen any of Greb's fights.

Should I stay in the ortodox stance or just bullrush forward with a tight guard? Can he sneak in a kick easily against 16 Oz gloves? How would you stand?

Should I stay in the ortodox stance or just bullrush forward with a tight guard? Can he sneak in a kick easily against 16 Oz gloves? How would you stand?

Neither. This is the stance you want to start with:

220px-John_L._Sullivan_1898.jpg

And before the sparring, tell him that you'll go 42 rounds, just like they did back in the 1920s.

He's immediately going to be intimidated and the force of his kicks will reduce a lot.

Last but no least, hand him a list of of your top 10 p4p GOAT's ... but only use boxers from the first half of the 20th century. He's going to be impressed by your historical knowledge.

Neither. This is the stance you want to start with:

220px-John_L._Sullivan_1898.jpg

And before the sparring, tell him that you'll go 42 rounds, just like they did back in the 1920s.

He's immediately going to be intimidated and the force of his kicks will reduce a lot.

LOL. Fucking bareknuckled days when people didn't punch to the face as much

LOL. Fucking bareknuckled days when people didn't punch to the face as much

Why would they punch at all? Their footwork and overall ability was just too good.

Just ask any historical educated bulls... I mean poster on here.

I should mention that I will be using 16 Oz boxing gloves to hide behind. His will be much smaller, maybe 10, Kickboxing gloves
Why is that? He has the benefit of being able to use his legs which generate more power. He should have 16Oz gloves on, too. 10oz is on the more brutal territory. It seems like he needed a lot of concessions to get in the ring with you.

Why is that? He has the benefit of being able to use his legs which generate more power. He should have 16Oz gloves on, too. 10oz is on the more brutal territory. It seems like he needed a lot of concessions to get in the ring with you.
Don't you think 16 Oz is an equilizer if I refrain from kicking? He can kick and punch. I am only allowed to punch. And he can punch faster without getting tired with his gloves

Hey fellow boxers and boxing fans. I am gonna spar a kickboxer tommorow, using only my boxing.
Which tactics would you employ that he will for sure be less familiar with?

I am already planning combos like jab followed by overhand right. Just pump in punching combos, which kickboxers generally don't do.

Is there anything else you can suggest?

No low kicks or clinch allowed.

Thanks in advance

Get in the pocket, plenty of head movement and use your superior boxing skills. Kickboxers are out of their comfort zone too close and will be massively disadvantaged in fighting. If your at range for any length of time you’ll either get lit up or will be taking a lot of punishments to your arms blocking kicks, which will still fck you up and stop you doing what you want to do

I boxed before I took up kickboxing, and learnt the above very quickly in sparring

Get in the pocket, plenty of head movement and use your superior boxing skills. Kickboxers are out of their comfort zone too close and will be massively disadvantaged in fighting. If your at range for any length of time you’ll either get lit up or will be taking a lot of punishments to your arms blocking kicks, which will still fck you up and stop you doing what you want to do

I boxed before I took up kickboxing, and learnt the above very quickly in sparring

I don't really bob and weave anyway, but it seems suicidal against a kicker. Don't I run to risk of ducking into a kick?

I don't really bob and weave anyway, but it seems suicidal against a kicker. Don't I run to risk of ducking into a kick?

You run a bigger risk as a stationary target, and out of range with your hands.

You need more focus on what your going to do, rather than worrying about him. A boxers advantage is in the pocket almost all of the time. If your on the outside, but in range, you will only be focusing on defence with no chance of countering. Use you boxing skills to get inside, you will be far better at pure boxing than this guy if he has only trained as a kickboxer.
Just don’t give him any space. It was tough for me when I started kickboxing as I’m tall and long. I had to completely change this approach when I first started sparring (and until my kicks vastly improved) because I was getting beaten up

@spacetime Ok so how about some other stats?

Is he bigger/taller/smaller/shorter than you?
What's his style?
How experienced is he?
Is he older or younger than you?

+ One tip: narrow your stance dramatically. In boxing a wider stance is preferred for balance, but in kickboxing dudes will just chop you down

+ Also no James Toney kind of moves where you lower your head a lot

+ Keep moving (in order to not take too many low kicks, those are painful), let him have the center and dance around him. SRL kind of thing.

Btw: so you are not allowed to kick. But are you at least allowed to block kicks with your legs?

Last edited:
Ok so how about some other stats?

Is he bigger/taller/smaller/shorter than you?
What's his style?
How experienced is he?
Is he older or younger than you?

One tip: narrow your stance dramatically. In boxing a wider stance is preferred for balance, but in kickboxing dudes will just chop you down

No James Toney kind of moves where you lower your head a lot

Btw: so you are not allowed to kick. But are you at least allowed to block kicks with your legs?
He can't chop me down when low kicks are prohibited.

He is 178 cm, I am 186 cm. Same weight. He is explosive, in and out- Karate style type of Kickboxer. I think he trained kickboxing for something like 5 years. He has no formal training in boxing whatsoever.

I have trained boxing for a term. I easily dominate secondary level boxers in sparring, even though their technique on the mitts is superior. I also have 3 and half years of Kickboxing sparring experience.

He can't chop me down when low kicks are prohibited.

He is 178 cm, I am 186 cm. Same weight. He is explosive, in and out- Karate style type of Kickboxer. I think he trained kickboxing for something like 5 years. He has no formal training in boxing whatsoever.

I have trained boxing for a term. I easily dominate secondary level boxers in sparring, even though their technique on the mitts is superior. I also have 3 and half years of Kickboxing sparring experience.

Didnt read carefully enough, ok so low kicks are prohibited. Well, that's already something

Ask in the MT section of sherdog too, they gave me some good tips when i wanted to train muay thai.

I think an ortodox stance will be good since it's above the waste rules. Less of a target for him to kick. And I can load up my punches.

Back