Where's the disgust and anger over Myanmar ethnic cleansing of muslims?

Re. bolded
That can be said of most threads on here, i.e. what's the point of even talking about anythng on Sherdog. Why are you talking about it here? You are only saying that because your argument is trash, so you want to comeback with something that gives your ego a boost.

The Confederates wanted to keep people in slavery. You think the 2 situations are even remotely comparable, shows how biased your are. The Confederates are akin to the Burmese and the Rohingya to the Slaves.

The US broke away from Britain, The former Yugoslavia broke up, NK and SK are 2 countries. More recently South Sudan broke away.
And the Rohingya at this point aren't even asking for a separate state, they are asking for citizenship, the end of systemic discrimination, and some autonomy instead.

I don't personally see

What exactly is your point? You seem to be conceding that the Rohingya want their own state and are proactively attempting to achieve that goal. That appears accurate. It seem that they are not very good at achieving that goal but they certainly have been trying.
They are not asking for their own state, I showed this to you earlier. The separatist movement fizzled out and the Rohingya political groups softened their demands. They want citizenship and they want the government to stop discriminating against them in addition to some autonomy for the Rakhine state.
Are you saying that it is ethical for them to rebel? If so are you saying that it is not ethical for the Burmese to oppose that rebellion?
Do you think its ethical to oppose a rebellion via ethnic cleansing and collective punishment?

I don't personally see

What exactly is your point? You seem to be conceding that the Rohingya want their own state and are proactively attempting to achieve that goal. That appears accurate. It seem that they are not very good at achieving that goal but they certainly have been trying.
. Are you saying that it is ethical for them to rebel? If so are you saying that it is not ethical for the Burmese to oppose that rebellion?
Yes it is ethical for them to fight back and it is not ethical for the Burmese to wage ethnic cleansing and genocide on them. Just as it is/was ethical for people to fight back against ISIS and what ISIS is/was doing was not ethical.

The separatist movement is (or was) tiny, and it doesn't even appear that it exists currently in any meaningfull way. At the moment, the recent militant attacks are also insignifcant, whereas the attacks by the Burmese are staggering in its scope and effect.

Complains about me using ad homs, then proceeds to use them against me. Hypocritical much?

No, I'm pro common sense, something you don't seem to understand. Common sense would dictate that the Rohingya Muslim men did a very dumb thing by picking a fight they can't win. It's part of their religion though.

nyet does not apply. I'm returning the favor, homegirl. I was hoping you'd at least be civil & apologize for the childish name calling but you couldn't even do that either. again I owe you zero courtesies so stop thinking you deserve any respect from me.

next - well then, sounds like your application of "common sense" is what we in the real world call you exercising stupidity.

let's quit dancing here. what I'm saying is you're against Muslim folks. that's fine.

what's not fine & is terrible is that your disapproval of them is irrational - which clouds your ability (or lack of) to think rationally. you're pro genocide.

you exercise bias, & are still ignoring the facts. you are incapable of being reasoned with & impossible to exchange with in civil fashion.

you're just looking to find others like you & spread negativity on here.

Right but the winners write history; looks like the Roho won't be doing that. CNN is trying to do it for them, but I don't think they can stir up enough needed sympathy.

Who knows what the future holds. Islam is far more powerful a force than the Burmese polity or even Buddishm for that matter.

CNN , like other major global media, are just reporting on what is happening. Just because the reporting paints the Burmese as brutal aggressors and the Rohingya as victims, does not mean the reporting is biased or wrong.

I'm totally not for henecide unless we're talking about alien arachnids from the planet Klendathu. In that case kill every single one of them.

The only good bug is a dead bug.

I always thought many Buddhists are shitty people, the religion is so weird
One of my least favorite religions for sure
Don't they have a long history of abuse of minorities when they're in power?
My parents know a lot about it because they often spend their holidays in Asia but I still never listen when they tell me something.

<Moves>

Yes it is ethical for them to fight back and it is not ethical for the Burmese to wage ethnic cleansing and genocide on them. Just as it is/was ethical for people to fight back against ISIS and what ISIS is/was doing was not ethical.

You use the term ethnic cleansing and genocide but that does not actually mean anyone is being killed is it?
Let's assume that the average village was harboring or feeding terrorists even if the average villagers are not militants themselves. How is it less ethical to disband these villages without actually killing anyone compared to actually targeting Burmese government officials with lethal force?

The is the position of the Burmese government is that the targeted villages were doing exactly that.
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/09/19/rohingya-muslims-being-wiped-off-burmas-map.html
In her speech, Suu Kyi noted that most Rohingya villages did not suffer violence, and said the government would look into “why are they not at each other’s throats in these particular areas.” Rohingya refugees angrily viewed that as the government deflecting blame for attacks by its own forces.....

Last October, the militants struck police posts, killing several officers and triggering a brutal military response that sent 87,000 Rohingya fleeing. Then on Aug. 25, a day after a state-appointed commission of inquiry headed by former UN chief Kofi Annan released a report about the earlier bloodshed, the militants struck again.

They attacked more than 30 police and army posts, causing casualties.

Accepting that is true, Burma has killed a few hundred people engaged in open revolt and displaced a large group of people that were helping them. In the United States helping criminals get you in jail for decades. No one is really trying to refute that.The international community just is concerned that the reaction is to harsh.

Look if this is just international hand wringing then none of this matters. However, if the U.N. intends to actually do something I think it would be best for us to be able to identify exactly why Burma is the bad guy, the locals are the good guy and why we have the moral authority to go into a sovereign country and interfere with internal affairs.

Last edited:
My parents know a lot about it because they often spend their holidays in Asia but I still never listen when they tell me something.

<Moves>
I've been a practicing Buddhist my whole life and would be happy to answer any of your questions.

<Moves>
You really like that smiley don't you?
Very disrespectful!
Don't you mean...
7e7.jpg

You really like that smiley don't you?

Don't you mean...
As-salāmu ʿalaykum brother but I think it would be wiser if we were not so conspicuous around infidels, so I chose to speak in a manner that would not give me up

I've been a practicing Buddhist my whole life and would be happy to answer any of your questions.
no thanks it would be really disrespectful to not listen to my own parents but a random stranger on the internet don't you think?

anyway I don't want to make a blanket statement because I'm fairly uneducated about Buddhism compared to Christianity, Islam or (( Judaism )) but everything I read about Buddishm just sounds like a very pessimistic, maybe even somewhat ungrateful view on life. The unsatisfactory nature of life, the inability of humans to attain sanctification and happiness etc
It just sounds very depressing

no thanks it would be really disrespectful to not listen to my own parents but a random stranger on the internet don't you think?

anyway I don't want to make a blanket statement because I'm fairly uneducated about Buddhism compared to Christianity, Islam or (( Judaism )) but everything I read about Buddishm just sounds like a very pessimistic, maybe even somewhat ungrateful view on life. The unsatisfactory nature of life, the inability of humans to attain sanctification and happiness etc
It just sounds very depressing
But how do you feel about {{{Buddhaism}}}

You use the term ethnic cleansing and genocide but that does not actually mean anyone is being killed is it?
Let's assume that the average village was harboring or feeding terrorists even if the average villagers are not militants themselves. How is it less ethical to disband these villages without actually killing anyone compared to actually targeting Burmese government officials with lethal force?

The is the position of the Burmese government is that the targeted villages were doing exactly that.
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/09/19/rohingya-muslims-being-wiped-off-burmas-map.html

Accepting that is true, Burma has killed a few hundred people engaged in open revolt and displaced a large group of people that were helping them. In the United States helping criminals get you in jail for decades. No one is really trying to refute that.The international community just is concerned that the reaction is to harsh.

Look if this is just international hand wringing then none of this matters. However, if the U.N. intends to actually do something I think it would be best for us to be able to identify exactly why Burma is the bad guy, the locals are the good guy and why we have the moral authority to go into a sovereign country and interfere with internal affairs.
If someone is harboring his drug dealer cousin, US police don't bulldoze his entire neighborhood. Collective punishment is considered a war crime so unless you think every single one of the tens of thousands of Rohingya being displaced were complicit then the Burmese military are committing war crimes.

Informative thread is informative. Cool.

I always thought this was a backlash against a newly arrived (~1920s) population of folks who are behaving badly.

If someone is harboring his drug dealer cousin, US police don't bulldoze his entire neighborhood. Collective punishment is considered a war crime so unless you think every single one of the tens of thousands of Rohingya being displaced were complicit then the Burmese military are committing war crimes.

I genuinely have no idea. My point is all I am hearing in the media is how horrible it is that Burma displaced all these people. I've heard no one actually analyze what is going on the ground.
It could be that Burmese soldiers were being killed and the government was only able to determine what block was harboring them and took action. If you think that is extreme I have 500 thousand dead Iraqis to show you. I also have the West Bank to show you. War is a horrible thing. Just because the a small Asian nation is the one currently engaged in it does not mean we have the moral high ground to tell them how to fight it.

I genuinely have no idea. My point is all I am hearing in the media is how horrible it is that Burma displaced all these people. I've heard no one actually analyze what is going on the ground.
It could be that Burmese soldiers were being killed and the government was only able to determine what block was harboring them and took action. If you think that is extreme I have 500 thousand dead Iraqis to show you. I also have the West Bank to show you. War is a horrible thing. Just because the a small Asian nation is the one currently engaged in it does not mean we have the moral high ground to tell them how to fight it.
Blame the Burmese military, they are the ones restricting on the ground access that would clarify these questions. You'd think if they are innocent of the claims levied against them they'd be happy to allow third party observers to inspect. That they are actively resisting this tells me they don't want the world to know what is happening there.

Also lol at the race card. People are taking a moral high ground because the Burmese have ceded it themselves through their own actions, not because they're Asian.

And please, don't equate what's happened in Iraq to what's happening here. The Iraq war was a disaster but the US military is leagues above the Mickey Mouse military of Myanmar in terms of respecting human rights. As for the West Bank, Israel has a shitload of UN resolutions against it so its not like the oppression of the Palestinians is ignored.

where there is smoke, there is fire
literally

Back