Where's Kron Gracie?

This is what Rizin match maker had to say "Kron wanted more money than the highest paid fighters in the UFC are earning so we gave up negotiating. "

This is what Rizin match maker had to say "Kron wanted more money than the highest paid fighters in the UFC are earning so we gave up negotiating. "

Well that sucks.

Dude is already what? 28 years old? How many fights does he have in him? I know he's all about maximizing money before he retires, but not fighting isn't the answer. Despite what he may make doing privates or seminars, if he doesn't maintain his marketability, it will only hurt him later. Not right now, and not 5 years from now, but 10 years from now, when most people get over his ADCC gold, his connection to Rickson, being in the scrap pack..

He's got to be more active. He can't not fight nor stay out of submission competition. Hopefully he's simply being a hard negotiator, but dude better hurry up.

According to that video of his I posted, that's exactly what he's doing and he's getting along fine.

He's getting along fine but no professional bouts in either MMA or submission lined up will only dull his sword. He can train all day, prep for endurance races but the bottom line is he's nearing 30. It could be he simply isn't as interested in fighting anymore. I remember reading an interview of his around 2012 I think, when he made it his goal to exceed his father's accomplishments in MMA. Then a few years later on his Vice documentary he mentions how his goals changed and fame isn't what he thought it was, so there is a chance he simply isn't as interested in fighting and will draw out negotiations for more cash and hotbox till his heart's content.

Kron is my favorite grappler to watch, it sucks he doesn't compete in submission anymore.

Maybe waiting for Ortega to upset for UFC title then make his move. Would be a great styles matchup.

More seriously Kron moving slowly into MMA and probably waiting for good offers while advancing his Other MMA skills. Would like to see him more active but can appreciate they are being picky with a longer term view. Rizen a good promotion for him but they are focused on BW now. Maybe next year.

Your prediction may come true my knee grow.

As Conor demonstrated, quality is more important than quality in fighting career. Undersand fighters being picky when to fight. Need to get paid for risking damage. Rickson never got his million but he was smart to demand it.

Yep, like father like son. Kron criticizes modern jiujitsu constantly saying how ineffective it is. Yet he does nothing to prove or defend his honor in MMA.

Yep, like father like son. Kron criticizes modern jiujitsu constantly saying how ineffective it is. Yet he does nothing to prove or defend his honor in MMA.

You mean besides dominating the best in the grappling world and going 4-0 in MMA with some very impressive wins in his last two. Especially considering it was his 3 and 4th fight ever? He proved his JJ works great. You are an idiot.

You mean besides dominating the best in the grappling world and going 4-0 in MMA with some very impressive wins in his last two. Especially considering it was his 3 and 4th fight ever? He proved his JJ works great. You are an idiot.

Dude. Kron Gracie is an accomplished grappler and I would never denigrate his outstanding BJJ achievements and skills.

However, calling wins over nearly 40 year-old Hideo Tokoro and nearly 40 year-old Kawajiri "very impressive" is ridiculous, and isn't going to convince anyone over to your side. If you wish to defend a fighter against criticism, don't go overboard like that.

However, calling wins over nearly 40 year-old Hideo Tokoro and nearly 40 year-old Kawajiri "very impressive" is ridiculous, and isn't going to convince anyone over to your side. If you wish to defend a fighter against criticism, don't go overboard like that.
Come on dude, Kawajiri was fresh off a decent UFC run where he was competitive with guys like Cub Swanson and Burmudez, he's a great win for any 3-0 fighter.

Come on dude, Kawajiri was fresh off a decent UFC run where he was competitive with guys like Cub Swanson and Burmudez, he's a great win for any 3-0 fighter.

"Very impressive" and "great", while subjective terms, still have meaning. They're not just whatever you want them to be.

Kawajiri was a good 10+ years removed from his prime, a shell of his former self, and had just been cut from the UFC after a mediocre 3-3 record against lower level UFC competition.

Was the 39 year-old Kawajiri still a "decent" or "respectable" victory for a 29 year-old at the peak of his BJJ powers? Sure. "Great" and "very impressive", however, just makes Kron's defenders sound desperate and their arguments on his behalf exaggerated to the point of silliness.

And don't forget that the guy before you claimed that not only Kawajiri, but a 39 year-old Hideo Tokoro was also a "very impressive" victory. That one was so laughable you didn't even attempt defending it.

Was the 39 year-old Kawajiri still a "decent" or "respectable" victory for a 29 year-old at the peak of his BJJ powers? Sure. "Great" and "very impressive", however, just makes Kron's defenders sound desperate and their arguments on his behalf exaggerated to the point of silliness.
Please, spare me this:
135.png
Cub Swanson is a lower level UFC fighter? Was Dennis Burmudez who two fights previously was gunning for a title shot had he beat Lamas? Jason Knight went on to have a 4 fight win streak which included Alex Caceres and Dan Hooker. Siver and Guida have their ups and downs but I wouldn't even call them 'lower level'. None of these 20+ fight veterans were able to finish him either.

I'm sticking to what I said. Great win for a 3-0 MMA fighter.

Please, spare me this:
135.png
Cub Swanson is a lower level UFC fighter? Was Dennis Burmudez who two fights previously was gunning for a title shot had he beat Lamas? Jason Knight went on to have a 4 fight win streak which included Alex Caceres and Dan Hooker. Siver and Guida have their ups and downs but I wouldn't even call them 'lower level'. None of these 20+ fight veterans were able to finish him either.

I'm sticking to what I said. Great win for a 3-0 MMA fighter.

Haha, this is one of the most pathetic examples of projection I've seen in some time.

It's nice of you to post a selfie before going on a long-winded, idiotic, and irrelevant spiel defending Kawajiri's 3-3 record in the UFC. Unfortunately, that doesn't change that he was pushing 40 and far slower, with worse reactions than he had in his heyday in Shooto and Pride Bushido 10-15 years prior. Something that fans who bother watching the fights as opposed to reciting records will know.

By the time Kawajiri went up against a 29 year-old Kron Gracie, he was only a "great win" for the patently delusional and ignorant.

Surely, if someone's goal is to convey how awesome Kron Gracie is, they can do better than pretending a nearly 40 year-old Kawajiri was an outstanding foe? And if they can't, maybe Kron isn't so awesome after all?

Haha, this is one of the most pathetic examples of projection I've seen in some time.
I don't know, you're the one who seems so offended by it you've resorted to flaming.

t's nice of you to post a selfie before going on a long-winded, idiotic, and irrelevant spiel defending Kawajiri's 3-3 record in the UFC.
You'd know something about long-winded, idiotic, irrelevant spiels given this wall of text reply.
Funny how you seem to have abandoned your 'lower competition' argument though.

Unfortunately, that doesn't change that he was pushing 40 and far slower, with worse reactions than he had in his heyday in Shooto and Pride Bushido 10-15 years prior. Something that fans who bother watching the fights as opposed to reciting records will know.
I've never disputed that he's probably worse than he was previously. He's still very skilled, capable and has over 40 fights worth of experience behind him. Again great win for a 3-0 fighter.

By the time Kawajiri went up against a 29 year-old Kron Gracie, he was only a "great win" for the patently delusional and ignorant.

Put it this way Kron was 3-0 going into a fight with a 40+ fight veteran known for his grappling, right off an even UFC run where he went the distance with upper tier guys like Swanson and Burmudez at the time. Kron finished the fight. Great win.

It's nice of you to post a selfie before going on a long-winded, idiotic, and irrelevant spiel defending Kawajiri's 3-3 record in the UFC. Unfortunately, that doesn't change that he was pushing 40 and far slower, with worse reactions than he had in his heyday in Shooto and Pride Bushido 10-15 years prior. Something that fans who bother watching the fights as opposed to reciting records will know.

Surely, if someone's goal is to convey how awesome Kron Gracie is, they can do better than pretending a nearly 40 year-old Kawajiri was an outstanding foe? And if they can't, maybe Kron isn't so awesome after all?

I followed Kron since he was a purple belt, but his Jiu Jitsu first philosophy limited his potential. Fighters like Rory who came into the fight game with no preconceptions fair better. That or an elite wrestler with good hand and eye coordination.

It’s a shame because Kron is super talented, had he simply jumped into a better MMA camp instead of the Scrap Pack, he’d be sharper but not necessarily dominant like he was in BJJ.

Kron should have been training MMA and learning striking with good coach at the age of 12-13 if he was going to reach his god given potential, instead he was content with Gracie Humaita Street defense ideology and learned striking from the Diaz brothers who are only good because of their height, chins and cardio - Not refined striking technique like Frankie Edgar whose only Achilles heel is that he’s a manlet with no power despite an excellent understanding of all-around MMA weaponry.

I don't know, you're the one who seems so offended by it you've resorted to flaming.

You'd know something about long-winded, idiotic, irrelevant spiels given this wall of text reply.

6 lines is a "wall of text reply"?! Maybe we've identified your problem in grasping basic logic. It's poor literacy. Ever try Hooked on Phonics?

The Reed said:
Funny how you seem to have abandoned your 'lower competition' argument though.

Oh, it's perfectly true. Kawajiri was not fighting highly ranked contenders at 145, but fledgling guys (Sean Soriano went 0-3 in the UFC) or past their prime veterans like Clay Guida, who he lost to. His best opponent in those 6 fights was Cub Swanson, who was also past his prime by 2016.

The Reed said:
I've never disputed that he's probably worse than he was previously. He's still very skilled, capable and has over 40 fights worth of experience behind him. Again great win for a 3-0 fighter.

I'm sure there were people making this exact same argument before Sakuraba fought Shinya Aoki. The silly part is that you make this argument AFTER the fight between Kawajiri and Kron Gracie. Like dude, we can all watch the fight and see what a husk of his former self the Crusher is.

My theory is that you haven't actually watched Gracie-Kawajiri to begin with.

I followed Kron since he was a purple belt, but his Jiu Jitsu first philosophy limited his potential. Fighters like Rory who came into the fight game with no preconceptions fair better. That or an elite wrestler with good hand and eye coordination.

It’s a shame because Kron is super talented, had he simply jumped into a better MMA camp instead of the Scrap Pack, he’d be sharper but not necessarily dominant like he was in BJJ.

Kron should have been training MMA and learning striking with good coach at the age of 12-13 if he was going to reach his god given potential, instead he was content with Gracie Humaita Street defense ideology and learned striking from the Diaz brothers who are only good because of their height, chins and cardio - Not refined striking technique like Frankie Edgar whose only Achilles heel is that he’s a manlet with no power despite an excellent understanding of all-around MMA weaponry.

This makes sense, thanks. Fighters limiting their potential by training with substandard camp was a common story back in the day (I still get annoyed when I think of all the careers damaged or outright ruined by the fucking Lion's Den), but with all the high-level ones around now, it's now the fault of the fighters if they don't take advantage of the given resources.

This makes sense, thanks. Fighters limiting their potential by training with substandard camp was a common story back in the day (I still get annoyed when I think of all the careers damaged or outright ruined by the fucking Lion's Den), but with all the high-level ones around now, it's now the fault of the fighters if they don't take advantage of the given resources.

With Kron it was probably because Nick and Nate are Cesar Gracie so I guess hooking up with them made sense, I mean, they’re both in Cali.

Dude. Kron Gracie is an accomplished grappler and I would never denigrate his outstanding BJJ achievements and skills.

Exactly, the reed owned polarbear so bad I really don't even need to respond other than calling polarbear out on lying. Tokoro and Kawajiri are 40 right now, Kron fought them a couple of years ago. But hey, why not lie and throw more age on them to try and help your false narrative right? I mean, if we want to rewrite history and make someone look bad, might as well go all out.

You idiots are talking like Kron sucks at MMA and has lost a bunch of fights or something. They guy is 4-0 and has never even been in trouble, even against much more experienced strikers. He won all of his fights easily.

Back