Where to train MMA in New York City?

EasyGee

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure wich forum to post this but I have Been looking around for a MMA school in New York City. I have found some schools that train Muay Thai and BJJ, but no one that combines them with punching on the ground etc. So if anyone can recommend a place, please give me some feedback. Thanks

I have the same problem, I found a couple of places tho that I am checking out in a few days in brooklyn..one is called timac and they train mma, judo,kickboxing and karate and another is a combat sambo school(fedors fighting style) they basically combine kickboxing with sambo and they do a little bit of bjj with it also...so hit me up and I can get you the numbers. Just pm me

Browse the MMA gym directory in the Grappling Forum.

I believe the only MMA specific school in the city is

http://www.roninathletics.com/

Haven't been there, but I've heard decent things from a guy who dropped in once.

Are there seriously not a lot of MMA gyms in NYC? I'm not trying to sound condescending, it's just that I'd be surprised if it's true seeing how NYC is the largest US city.

_All-State_ said:
Are there seriously not a lot of MMA gyms in NYC? I'm not trying to sound condescending, it's just that I'd be surprised if it's true seeing how NYC is the largest US city.

When you say 'NYC' or 'the city' that refers to manhattan. In spite of the astronomical rents in manhattan, there are almost infinite TMA schools, and many many BJJ and MT gyms. Some of these offer crosstraining & MMA. But in manhattan there only seems to be one school that is specifically dedicated to MMA, I've heard that it's decent from someone who dropped-in for a single class but have no firsthand experience.

_All-State_ said:

I have been looking around for a while now, nothing. Hopefully someone see this and start one. New York is starving for a real MMA place. It is alot of exelent BJJ and Muay Thai places though.

I been looking for a few years in NYC and I have done extensive research. I can tell you that there is nothing TOP quality here. The best way is to get together with similarily minded people and train amongst yourselves.

I tried getting together a few people from Sherdog to form a group. Initially, people showed interest but when I got the place together and sent the people a private message, I got no response.

So, I'll post it again here. As far as the space is concerned, the fighthouse on 27th street charges $12 per person to train there for two hours. They have a ring and mats. If anyone is interested, please post what times are good for you. For me, any weekdays after 6PM work for me. However, I cannot stay at the place past 8PM because I get up early the next day for work.

I believe that Renzo Gracie's gym offers MMA instruction in addition to BJJ classes.

I've seen many many many good standup gyms and good grappling gyms in newyork. I just cant see why nobody would teach mma here.

can you name atleast a few good standup/grappling gyms in brooklyn new york then please?

Considering MMA is illegal in NY, it's not surprising there arent many good gyms in NYC.

sweepsubmit said:
What is the best Muay Thai place in the city?

I trained at Sitan Gym for a while and it was really good. I justed missed the grappling part too much.

renzo doesn't really offer mma courses... i think you have to be a purple or above to start learning it.

I heard in renzos theres instructors on the side who teach mma..ofcourse thats extra money, nothing about being a certain belt though from what ive heard

White Snake said:
Considering MMA is illegal in NY, it's not surprising there arent many good gyms in NYC.

It might be illigal to compete, but not to train it.

DKM76 said:
I been looking for a few years in NYC and I have done extensive research. I can tell you that there is nothing TOP quality here. The best way is to get together with similarily minded people and train amongst yourselves.

I tried getting together a few people from Sherdog to form a group. Initially, people showed interest but when I got the place together and sent the people a private message, I got no response.

So, I'll post it again here. As far as the space is concerned, the fighthouse on 27th street charges $12 per person to train there for two hours. They have a ring and mats. If anyone is interested, please post what times are good for you. For me, any weekdays after 6PM work for me. However, I cannot stay at the place past 8PM because I get up early the next day for work.

I would be up for some training man, but you need more than one

BoxAmateur said:
I would be up for some training man, but you need more than one

I guess to start out, you and I can train and spar in boxing...and then I am sure others will join in. I am available on weekdays after 5:30PM. Let me know. Also, the weight class doesn't matter to me because it's all in the name of training.

Back