Where to train in Phuket?

SAMURAI SPIRIT

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

As the new year approaches, my new years resolution will be to go to Thailand (Phuket) and train for a month in one of their Muay Thai camps. It seems that Tiger Muay Thai is the biggest game in town catering to foreigners. It also appears that the camp is a bit "touristy" that attempts to provide a high standard of living, more luxurious stay (swimming pool, spa etc) for a much higher price?

Other camps seem to offer same level of training with less side attraction and cheaper price. Examples would be Tiger and Dragon camps. For me, I am not looking for a resort experience though clean and decent accommodation would be appreciated. I am looking to up my physical conditioning and technique (specially clinch work.) I am also interested in a weight training area because i lift.

Can anyone please give me a comparison of the overall vibes of each place? Is there really a bad place there or are they all equally good? Thanks so much.

SS.

I would love for someone to respond to this due to me thinking about doing the exact same thing in the coming year/s... The only issue is with me is that I would be bringing my Mrs so I need to try find a camp to go to that is a bit more welcoming and has more of a resort vibe then other camps. I have looked at Tiger and AKA and it seems like AKA is cheaper and also has a bit more variety when it comes to selection of accommodation.

I heard Sinbi was good but very crowded during high season. Also heard their famous trainer (Pot?) had left.

Other gyms I've heard about are Sitsongpeenong Phuket (which have some very qualified champions as trainers but its rather pricey and I have heard its a bit of a tourist trap), Sumalee (which I heard was ok but especially good for women since the owner is also female), Lamnamoon (which my friend said was excellent but it is out in the country), Lion (heard it was a tourist trap) and obviously everyone has heard of Tiger lol (which apparently is a very good experience - IF you are a pro fighter)

This is just what I've heard/researched though ^. I am also planning a trip so any feedback will be good.

Pot left quite a while ago. He got a good head trainer job at some Muay Thai academy in Phuket Town. But I just recently heard he started up his own gym. Theres always opprotunity to clinch at Sinbi, especially in the evening class. Youll start out clinching with other foreigners but Sing (owner of Sinbi) has recently been bringing in a lot of Thai boys to fight for the gym. If they see you're good and trust you, you should be able to clinch with them.

Lion is run down and noone trains there, at least as of 2 seasons ago. Same with Rawai Supa. Management changes seem to kill some of these gyms.

Sinbi has added a new weight room. Its not really anything compared to Tiger or AKAs, but I doubt there is anything you couldnt do with whats provided.

One of the main reasons I keep going back to Sinbi is the location. The Rawai/Nai Harn area is an awesome part of Phuket. Not too touristy like Patong or Karon. I would stay in that area and check out the half dozen gyms that are close by, Sinbi, AKA, Lion, Kaewphitaek, Rawai Supa, probably a few more have sprouted up since I was last there.

These are just my opinions based off nearly a year (cumulative) of living and training in Phuket. With pretty much all of it at Sinbi. In Phuket Ive done sessions at AKA and UTFF when it was in business. I have friends who train at Kaewphitaek, Phuket Top Team, AKA, and Tiger. They all have pluses and minuses. Im hoping to be back there in Feb. but not sure yet.

Pot left quite a while ago. He got a good head trainer job at some Muay Thai academy in Phuket Town. But I just recently heard he started up his own gym. Theres always opprotunity to clinch at Sinbi, especially in the evening class. Youll start out clinching with other foreigners but Sing (owner of Sinbi) has recently been bringing in a lot of Thai boys to fight for the gym. If they see you're good and trust you, you should be able to clinch with them.

Lion is run down and noone trains there, at least as of 2 seasons ago. Same with Rawai Supa. Management changes seem to kill some of these gyms.

Sinbi has added a new weight room. Its not really anything compared to Tiger or AKAs, but I doubt there is anything you couldnt do with whats provided.

One of the main reasons I keep going back to Sinbi is the location. The Rawai/Nai Harn area is an awesome part of Phuket. Not too touristy like Patong or Karon. I would stay in that area and check out the half dozen gyms that are close by, Sinbi, AKA, Lion, Kaewphitaek, Rawai Supa, probably a few more have sprouted up since I was last there.

These are just my opinions based off nearly a year (cumulative) of living and training in Phuket. With pretty much all of it at Sinbi. In Phuket Ive done sessions at AKA and UTFF when it was in business. I have friends who train at Kaewphitaek, Phuket Top Team, AKA, and Tiger. They all have pluses and minuses. Im hoping to be back there in Feb. but not sure yet.

Yeah I heard the area near Sinbi is very nice with an awesome beach.

If you don't mind me asking, how busy does high season get? Do you still get sufficient attention from the trainers or is it just 5 rounds of pads and that's it? Also, do you get the same pad holder every day?

Yeah I heard the area near Sinbi is very nice with an awesome beach.

If you don't mind me asking, how busy does high season get? Do you still get sufficient attention from the trainers or is it just 5 rounds of pads and that's it? Also, do you get the same pad holder every day?

Nai Harn beach is amazing. My favorite is Kata Noi. If you can ride a scooter its not too far from Sinbi.

How busy high season gets seems to fluctuate from year to year. But the gym does a good job of handling it. If the gym is over booked they will split the afternoon class into 2 sessions to handle the extra people, one that goes from 3-5 and then a second class from 5-7. The AM session is generally never as busy as the afternoon class. This usually only happens when a big gym from Russia or Canada comes through.

You never really get "attention" from the trainers unless youre an attractive woman. Theyll walk around while your hitting the heavy bag and correct your form from time to time or show you some technique. After bag and pad work there will be group technique or clinching. Usually theres no real one on one attention unless your friends with one of the trainers.

In the beginning you'll get a new pad holder almost every time. I suggest if you find a trainer you think you click with hitting pads, pay for some private sessions with them. Once a trainer gets to know you then you can start asking if they wil hold pads for you or theyll call you over when its your turn for pads. Now you can work on what you learned in the privates with them and theyll be more willing to show you technique during the pad rounds. Instead of just being a pad holder.

First year I was there I didnt take any private sessions until my last 2 weeks. I learned more in those 2 weeks then the previous 2 months of just going to classes. My trainer and I are good friends now and hes my pad holder 95% of the time unless hes prepping for a fight or some other circumstance.

Dont be offended if you dont get personal attention. Its a business, the gym and the trainers see hundreds of students a year. Some of the trainers have been doing Muay Thai most their lives and might be a little bored of it, but its all they know. A little money goes a long way with the trainers.

Sorry for the long winded response. Feel free to ask any other questions. Im more than happy to give my opinion.

You never really get "attention" from the trainers unless youre an attractive woman. Theyll walk around while your hitting the heavy bag and correct your form from time to time or show you some technique. After bag and pad work there will be group technique or clinching. Usually theres no real one on one attention unless your friends with one of the trainers.

In the beginning you'll get a new pad holder almost every time. I suggest if you find a trainer you think you click with hitting pads, pay for some private sessions with them. Once a trainer gets to know you then you can start asking if they wil hold pads for you or theyll call you over when its your turn for pads. Now you can work on what you learned in the privates with them and theyll be more willing to show you technique during the pad rounds. Instead of just being a pad holder.

First year I was there I didnt take any private sessions until my last 2 weeks. I learned more in those 2 weeks then the previous 2 months of just going to classes. My trainer and I are good friends now and hes my pad holder 95% of the time unless hes prepping for a fight or some other circumstance.

Dont be offended if you dont get personal attention. Its a business, the gym and the trainers see hundreds of students a year. Some of the trainers have been doing Muay Thai most their lives and might be a little bored of it, but its all they know. A little money goes a long way with the trainers.

Yep for sure. I can see why the trainers might be frustrated/bored - I will be too if I fought 200-300 times, win multiple belts only then to get trapped teaching jab-cross-hook to beginners 50 weeks a year.

Sucks about the lack of attention though. I know its a business (and I know Sinbi is a very successful business at that) but I was hoping to fight in Thailand. Do you know if they give extra attention if you tell them you want to fight or is there no difference in treatment? Do you at least get to clinch with the local Thai fighters or is the gym mainly westerners? Also, in your experience, are other gyms like that or will it be better going to a smaller gym where I will actually get to know the trainer personally?

Yep for sure. I can see why the trainers might be frustrated/bored - I will be too if I fought 200-300 times, win multiple belts only then to get trapped teaching jab-cross-hook to beginners 50 weeks a year.

Sucks about the lack of attention though. I know its a business (and I know Sinbi is a very successful business at that) but I was hoping to fight in Thailand. Do you know if they give extra attention if you tell them you want to fight or is there no difference in treatment? Do you at least get to clinch with the local Thai fighters or is the gym mainly westerners? Also, in your experience, are other gyms like that or will it be better going to a smaller gym where I will actually get to know the trainer personally?

Getting a fight shouldn't be a problem. Let a trainer know the first few days you arrive you'd like to fight. You'll get more attention if they know you want to fight. Run before class. That will let trainers know you're serious and you don't have to be baby sat. Students do get to clinch with the Thais. But don't expect it the first day or even week. They're not going to risk one of their fighters to injury to a foreigner who generally is double the size of a Thai and often times thinks he has something to prove. Once they see you have some skill and control they'll let you clinch with one of their fighters. There are generally plenty of long term or permanent foreigners at the gyms, don't think you'll be short changed by having to clinch with a westerner. Should be plenty of good talent.

If fighting is your goal I would pick a gym and stick with them. For one it doesn't make sense to spend 2 weeks at one gym who thinks you're going to fight for them only to hop to another. Massive waste of your time and the gyms. Who knows if the new gym can even get you one in that short of time. If you don't plan on fighting then by all means gym hop and fight out what which gym is best for you, especially if you plan on coming back. Bangala stadium is always looking for fighters and I've heard Sinbi has a new contract with them. Rawaii stadium opens back up during high season as well so there should be plenty of opportunity to line up a fight.

Ive met quite a few people who first came to Sinbi, and for whatever reason they went to train at other gyms they found in the area. Sinbi is a great gym to get your Thailand feet wet. Definately check out Kaewphitak Muay Thai. I've heard good things about them, they're not nearly as busy and commercial. Lower student to trainer ratio should mean you get more one on one attention. And its still in Rawaii.

I would love for someone to respond to this due to me thinking about doing the exact same thing in the coming year/s... The only issue is with me is that I would be bringing my Mrs so I need to try find a camp to go to that is a bit more welcoming and has more of a resort vibe then other camps. I have looked at Tiger and AKA and it seems like AKA is cheaper and also has a bit more variety when it comes to selection of accommodation.

Does she want to be near the beach or does she want to hang out at a nice pool? Shes coming along for holiday Im assuming? Are you comfortable riding a scooter? Again Sinbi is ideal because of its location. In my opinion AKA was one of the worst gyms as far as accommodations. No on site rooms for students. There wasnt always the hotel nearby. That wasnt there last time I was at AKA. Its also on a dead end road and the only real way to access it is from one of the busiest roads in Phuket. Its a nightmare during rush hour traffic. Too far from beaches to walk.

Getting a fight shouldn't be a problem. Let a trainer know the first few days you arrive you'd like to fight. You'll get more attention if they know you want to fight. Run before class. That will let trainers know you're serious and you don't have to be baby sat. Students do get to clinch with the Thais. But don't expect it the first day or even week. They're not going to risk one of their fighters to injury to a foreigner who generally is double the size of a Thai and often times thinks he has something to prove. Once they see you have some skill and control they'll let you clinch with one of their fighters. There are generally plenty of long term or permanent foreigners at the gyms, don't think you'll be short changed by having to clinch with a westerner. Should be plenty of good talent.

If fighting is your goal I would pick a gym and stick with them. For one it doesn't make sense to spend 2 weeks at one gym who thinks you're going to fight for them only to hop to another. Massive waste of your time and the gyms. Who knows if the new gym can even get you one in that short of time. If you don't plan on fighting then by all means gym hop and fight out what which gym is best for you, especially if you plan on coming back. Bangala stadium is always looking for fighters and I've heard Sinbi has a new contract with them. Rawaii stadium opens back up during high season as well so there should be plenty of opportunity to line up a fight.

Ive met quite a few people who first came to Sinbi, and for whatever reason they went to train at other gyms they found in the area. Sinbi is a great gym to get your Thailand feet wet. Definately check out Kaewphitak Muay Thai. I've heard good things about them, they're not nearly as busy and commercial. Lower student to trainer ratio should mean you get more one on one attention. And its still in Rawaii.

I am looking to go to thailand too, and i was looking into sinbi too, i have 4 years of muay thai and boxing, would they give me one on one attention? And i was planning on going for at least 1 month, would they beable to get me a fight by then? And i'm only 20 years old and never been out of the country on my own, when i was 10- 16 i would go with my family to london hawaii, mexico, las vegas, dubai, saudi arabia, pakistan so this is a really big step for me.

Edit: most of my instructors were pro kickboxers or had at least 1 muay thai fight, i had 3 instructors that had either trained in thailand or trained traditional muay thai in america.

I am looking to go to thailand too, and i was looking into sinbi too, i have 4 years of muay thai and boxing, would they give me one on one attention? And i was planning on going for at least 1 month, would they beable to get me a fight by then? And i'm only 20 years old and never been out of the country on my own, when i was 10- 16 i would go with my family to london hawaii, mexico, las vegas, dubai, saudi arabia, pakistan so this is a really big step for me.

Edit: most of my instructors were pro kickboxers or had at least 1 muay thai fight, i had 3 instructors that had either trained in thailand or trained traditional muay thai in america.

During the normal classes, you'll get your one on one attention when you're hitting pads with a trainer. Otherwise, if you want more, you'll have to get a private session with one of the trainers. When you're hitting the bags, after or before pad work, the trainers are holding pads for the other people in the class so you aren't going to be getting much attention.

They can get you a fight. The question is, will they. And they will if you're good enough to fight. There's shows pretty much every day of the week around the whole of Phuket, so it's not difficult.

During the normal classes, you'll get your one on one attention when you're hitting pads with a trainer. Otherwise, if you want more, you'll have to get a private session with one of the trainers. When you're hitting the bags, after or before pad work, the trainers are holding pads for the other people in the class so you aren't going to be getting much attention.

They can get you a fight. The question is, will they. And they will if you're good enough to fight. There's shows pretty much every day of the week around the whole of Phuket, so it's not difficult.

Ok cool, i've actually been planning this trip for about nearly 2 years, and had some unconventional issues (money problems was one of the big issues). I've never done a private before, well i have but my instructor is basically a private instructor and his rates are cheap, so about how much money should i bring? I'm planning on going in probably late december or early 2018.

Check out kaewphitak! Small gym n nothing fancy but training is hard n legit, no tourist bullshit

Ok cool, i've actually been planning this trip for about nearly 2 years, and had some unconventional issues (money problems was one of the big issues). I've never done a private before, well i have but my instructor is basically a private instructor and his rates are cheap, so about how much money should i bring? I'm planning on going in probably late december or early 2018.
How long are you planning on staying?
Are you planning on doing things other than training? like travelling (around the island) or partying?
Do you plan on buying new gear while you're there?

Some are able to survive a week off 2,000 baht (not including training and accommodation). Others might spend that much in a few days.

Most gyms I've trained at charge around 500-700 baht for private sessions.

How long are you planning on staying?
Are you planning on doing things other than training? like travelling (around the island) or partying?
Do you plan on buying new gear while you're there?

Some are able to survive a week off 2,000 baht (not including training and accommodation). Others might spend that much in a few days.

Most gyms I've trained at charge around 500-700 baht for private sessions.

I'm planning on staying at least a month, but the flights are cheaper the longer you stay, so i might stay longer

Edit: i have my own gear.

Check out kaewphitak! Small gym n nothing fancy but training is hard n legit, no tourist bullshit

I tried checking out that gym, but they don't have a website or anything so i don't think i'm going to go to that gym.

Well thank you for everyones help, i dont understand why i don't get information like this on threads that i post. I'm working and making a lot of money so i should have enough money to go to thailand for about 3 months by late december.

How much money you should bring is hard question to answer. . Are you eating Thai food 3 meals a day? Renting a scooter? Living at the gym in your own place or sharing with 2 or 3 other guys? Or finding accomodation nearby?

Want a big tip to save some money? Bring a big hydroflask insulated water container. I carried a 1 liter Hydroflask everywhereI went. Training, dinner, to the beach. You buy a couple bigger water containers at the 7 Eleven and then keep refilling them from the street side water filters for 1 baht a liter. I wasnt paying an extra 30-60 baht every meal I wanted some water. Not to mention the gallons of water you're going to consume during training. It doesnt sound like much, but if youre there an extended amount of time, the cost of water adds up quick.

Thailand already has a giant plastic waste problem. No reason to help contribute to it.

Back