Where to start

hwaidakmma2710

MMA enthusiast
@White
Reaction score
Guysss I would very much appreciate if you could help me firstly choose a gym in DC. It's gonna be my first time there so again would much appreciate your help. So far my eyes are on urban boxing D.C. I'm going to be an MMA contender in Egypt and with your help I'll probably be the best with correct coaching etc... so I thought to start of with some boxing so who should I start with since I'll be in DC for 4 month starting 10 days from now. Thanks in advance...

Guysss I would very much appreciate if you could help me firstly choose a gym in DC. It's gonna be my first time there so again would much appreciate your help. So far my eyes are on urban boxing D.C. I'm going to be an MMA contender in Egypt and with your help I'll probably be the best with correct coaching etc... so I thought to start of with some boxing so who should I start with since I'll be in DC for 4 month starting 10 days from now. Thanks in advance...
Just to be clearer these 4 month are strictly for boxing and conditioning. Not included the 3 years camp I'll do in a years time if all goes well

You don't need correct coaching.... you need street fights. "How many" you ask?

500... 500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

But, if you want to be a real tough guy... then you'll have to follow the advice of my good friend @Shoemaker

600... 600 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 600 street fights and you could consider yourself a real legitimate tough guy. You need them for even more experience. To develop leatherer skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

However... if you really want to be a real, real tough guy... then you'll have to follow the advice of my other good friend @BluntTrauma21

700... 700 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 700 street fights and you could consider yourself an insanely legitimate tough guy. You need them for a whole bunch of experience. To develop leathererer skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

I'd steer clear of what @Seano told me a few years back when he said:

3... 3 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 3 fights on soft grass and you could consider yourself a guy. You need them for experience. To literally develop skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

Now you know you're in a bad way if you find yourself following the advice @PHATV gave the forum many a moon ago when he chimed in with:

17... 17 square dance competitions, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 17 square dance competitions and you could consider yourself the next Conway Twitty. You need them for experience. To develop gumption. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being Conway Twitty and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

You don't need correct coaching.... you need street fights. "How many" you ask?

500... 500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.
Nah man, play 5 finger fillet until you lose a digit. Then you're ready to turn pro.

Loool !! But in all seriousness people any legitimate advice help a brother out that's new in all this.
Sorry dude, I have zero idea of any places in DC, there's gotta be someone in here who lives there and can actually give help.

Now you know you're in a bad way if you find yourself following the advice @PHATV gave the forum many a moon ago when he chimed in with:

Those were some crazy days. Some wild, crazy days. The square dance circuit in the 80s was like everything you saw in Saturday Night Fever for disco in the 70s. And then some.

People crossed the line. I did. We all did.

Where you're coached has a great deal to do with how much you already know. Getting time with a good coach in a good gym has something to do with the skill level you have when you show up. If you don't know much and therefore have a lower ability, those upper-tier coaches are going to spend time with students who have more promise. If you're just looking to learn the ropes, go to group boxing classes at any gym you find. It's a bit outside D.C., but Elite SFN in Ellicott City, Maryland, runs a clean and exceptional gym for beginners through active amateur ranks.

Separately, dedicating 4 months to boxing as a precursor to training for MMA is like learning tennis as a means to learn volleyball. Boxing starts with footwork, as I'm sure MMA does. They're different. The defensive considerations are different, too--and as a result of the first two, the striking is different.

If you want to MMA, start with a more MMA friendly martial art like muy thai.

Edit: one final thought. Ridgemont Raceways, which is just outside D.C., is a venue for a lot of regional amateur boxing events. Check out their promotional information, and you'll get quite a bit of insight into which gyms are sending fighters to such events. I'd start there.

Last edited:
Where you're coached has a great deal to do with how much you already know. Getting time with a good coach in a good gym has something to do with the skill level you have when you show up. If you don't know much and therefore have a lower ability, those upper-tier coaches are going to spend time with students who have more promise. If you're just looking to learn the ropes, go to group boxing classes at any gym you find. It's a bit outside D.C., but Elite SFN in Ellicott City, Maryland, runs a clean and exceptional gym for beginners through active amateur ranks.

Separately, dedicating 4 months to boxing as a precursor to training for MMA is like learning tennis as a means to learn volleyball. Boxing starts with footwork, as I'm sure MMA does. They're different. The defensive considerations are different, too--and as a result of the first two, the striking is different.

If you want to MMA, start with a more MMA friendly martial art like muy thai.

Edit: one final thought. Ridgemont Raceways, which is just outside D.C., is a venue for a lot of regional amateur boxing events. Check out their promotional information, and you'll get quite a bit of insight into which gyms are sending fighters to such events. I'd start there.
Thanks for the guidance buddy !! Will check out right now !! Cheers

Back