Where to start on martial arts

vlz

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hello sherdog forum, just joined and hope to be a member for a long time.

Im a 30year old from Spain. Im getting bored of bodybuilding after 8 years non stop. I liked heavy weights, i trained for me, not to show off. Im starting to get irritated by these male beauty contests and all the people involved. And to be honest, if i got into a fight for some reason, i would get my ass kicked for sure, im big but im humble, i know size isnt everything. So i thought why not try a martial art or MMA for a new challenge.

Im 180cm tall and weight 87kg right now. I would say my weak points are mostly cardio, mobility/flexibility and zero martial arts experience on my adult life.

I dont know where to start. Some people say muaythai, some people say BJJ. I know you dont like bodybuilders and you will bash me for what im about to say, but i would like to still practice it (less often) and combine it with martial arts. Maybe 2 days weight lifting and 2-3 martial arts.

Thank you for reading and your comments.

Maybe just start off with a bjj class twice a week and see how it goes

Hello sherdog forum, just joined and hope to be a member for a long time.

Im a 30year old from Spain. Im getting bored of bodybuilding after 8 years non stop. I liked heavy weights, i trained for me, not to show off. Im starting to get irritated by these male beauty contests and all the people involved. And to be honest, if i got into a fight for some reason, i would get my ass kicked for sure, im big but im humble, i know size isnt everything. So i thought why not try a martial art or MMA for a new challenge.

Im 180cm tall and weight 87kg right now. I would say my weak points are mostly cardio, mobility/flexibility and zero martial arts experience on my adult life.

I dont know where to start. Some people say muaythai, some people say BJJ. I know you dont like bodybuilders and you will bash me for what im about to say, but i would like to still practice it (less often) and combine it with martial arts. Maybe 2 days weight lifting and 2-3 martial arts.

Thank you for reading and your comments.

A lot will depend on what is available in your area. Thai and BJJ are both great combat sports/martial arts. If there are classes in both you can attend, try them and decide which you prefer. You could even train in both, if your schedule allows.

Good luck.

You're not going to be the next UFC phenom, so the best martial art will be the one with which you stick. Try a few and see what you like.

Classes allow you to try for free, go to all the classes in your area and then decide when you have the information you need.

Email the coach/trainer before to make sure it's cool for you to come see what it's about.

The type of people who take the class is indicative of what the club is like. The people are almost more important than anything else as they'll either raise you up or bring you down.

En España hay muy buen judo, que te permite entrenar varias fases de combate. Puedes seguir levantando pesas, pero en vez de hacerlo para volumen, puedes enfocarte en explosividad, como movimientos olímpicos y el uso de "kettlebells"

The big 5 are;

Boxing
Muay Thai
Bjj
Judo
Wrestling

I'd findout all the clubs in the area and try out any legit ones. Most important thing is that you enjoy it & the clubs legit rather than the actual art.

The big 5 are;

Boxing
Muay Thai
Bjj
Judo
Wrestling

I'd findout all the clubs in the area and try out any legit ones. Most important thing is that you enjoy it & the clubs legit rather than the actual art.

The big 5 lol.

He's in Spain, you think there's going to be wrestling schools on every corner?

More like big 3:
-bjj
-boxing
-mma

The big 5 lol.

He's in Spain, you think there's going to be wrestling schools on every corner?

More like big 3:
-bjj
-boxing
-mma
Where are there wrestling clubs anywhere in the world for an adult that hasn't wrestled before?

Last edited:
Boxing and Judo clubs are pretty common the world over I would think, but as @TheeFaulted pointed out, the best one will be the one you stick with. Just go along and try a bunch out and see what you enjoy the most.

Something to keep in mind:

If you do Muay Thai 2-3+ times a week, you will lose that hard-earned muscle.
Very cardio-based workouts.

In which case something anaerobic (BJJ) might be a better option for you. Good luck.:)

Something to keep in mind:

If you do Muay Thai 2-3+ times a week, you will lose that hard-earned muscle.
Very cardio-based workouts.

In which case something anaerobic (BJJ) might be a better option for you. Good luck.:)
Pull your head out of your ass.

Boxing will teach you the highest and most important skills fastest for problems you are likely to encounter.

Wrestling would be the quickest and most useful apart from boxing, but it takes a lot more strain and hours per day and is hard to find.

If you are big, boxing is your best bet. If you are small, boxing is still your best bet (it teaches you how to move instinctively and dodge best when others are trying to hit you, imo)

If you are very tall and large, you can use almost anything and destroy smaller people with it, but it's still smarter to use the top few disciplines with the best reputation.

Good luck!

I'd keep your mouth shut when you have no idea what you're talking about, mmkay?
I'd offer you the same advice, but we both know you're too ignorant to take me up on it.

I trained and competed in boxing for years, never had an issue with losing "hard-earned muscle", but perhaps that because I understood basic scientific concepts.

What's your competition background Doc?

I'd offer you the same advice, but we both know you're too ignorant to take me up on it.

I trained and competed in boxing for years, never had an issue with losing "hard-earned muscle", but perhaps that because I understood basic scientific concepts.

What's your competition background Doc?

You need to pay attention. You boxed; you did not box and simultaneously compete in bodybuilding.

I'm assuming you are a troll and enjoy starting pointless arguments because you have nothing better to do.

If you are not a troll and are actually that ignorant: Excessive cardio (like, you know, that of a Thai boxer's routine...) is DEATH for muscle gains for a natural bodybuilder. I don't have the time or energy to educate you beyond this. Google is your friend.

In either case, you go on the "Ignore" list now. Good luck with your "boxing" career, there, De La Hoya. Maybe less time being a tough guy online and more time with a good coach LOL.

Yes, I the guy who has been on this forum for a decade and has an extensive training log on here detailing my time training and competing as a boxer am the troll. Not the guy who joined yesterday, calls himself "SportsDoc" and yet doesn't understand basics of metabolic systems.

Yes, I boxed. I also worked with a university wrestling team and trained powerlifting during the same time. I've competed in weight class sports from 145lbs to heavyweight. I think I have a basic understanding of keeping on muscle, as I competed as a heavyweight during my time boxing. Muay Thai is no more cardio intensive than boxing, and there are any number of large, heavy weight boxers to be found. You just have to eat enough calories.

But hey you won't be able to read this anyway, cause I got the block cause words hurt right?

Look at how emaciated boxing training will leave you:
article-0-0CD1FC2800000578-155_470x589.jpg

Back