Where to start fighting? ( Canadian)

Paolo Delutis

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Hey, I am 27 years old from Ontario Canada and have been studying martial arts for roughly 10 years and have been in a few scraps in my life but ever since I started training I've been wanting to fight professionally..MMA was illegal till recently in Ontario but since then nothings really happened with it? ?

So I ask where in Canada, Ontario or somewhere state side that's close could I possible go try and compete in my first pro MMA fight??.. what regional circuit or local events do you any of you know about ,it would be helpful for me in deciding to try for my dream or just continue my studies and teach later on.

I'm 5'9 and would compete at 170lbs or 155 lbs, as of now..given time could make 145lbs..

TKO in Quebec
Wreck MMA in Quebec
There's a lot of promotions out west like BFL, HKFC, Havoc, Rumble in the Cage, Unified MMA, XFFC.
I'm not sure if there's a lot of MMA going on in Ontario right now. There are a few promotions in Atlantic Canada like ECC and Elite 1. Not sure if this helped, but good luck.

TKO in Quebec
Wreck MMA in Quebec
There's a lot of promotions out west like BFL, HKFC, Havoc, Rumble in the Cage, Unified MMA, XFFC.
I'm not sure if there's a lot of MMA going on in Ontario right now. There are a few promotions in Atlantic Canada like ECC and Elite 1. Not sure if this helped, but good luck.

Those aren't active promotions anymore..if I'm not mistaken ( Tko and Wreck) but I'll take a look at the others you mentioned don't know how feasible trips out west to fight will be when first starting out.. thanks

The gym you're at doesn't know where you can have some amateur bouts in Ontario?

The gym you're at doesn't know where you can have some amateur bouts in Ontario?

Yea , there's some that offer modified MMA fights, or exhibitions but I don't want the next best thing or limitations I want the test of full contact, pro level..really find out where I stand skill wise and the experience of a pro level fight. You know what I mean?

Those aren't active promotions anymore..if I'm not mistaken ( Tko and Wreck) but I'll take a look at the others you mentioned don't know how feasible trips out west to fight will be when first starting out.. thanks

Wreck just put on a card a few weeks ago and TKO has an event coming up...lol

Wreck just put on a card a few weeks ago and TKO has an event coming up...lol

Well than. .I remember them fizzing out but guess I was wrong lol thank you looks like I'll have to do some current research lol TKO would be cool as that was GSP's old stomping ground

Yea , there's some that offer modified MMA fights, or exhibitions but I don't want the next best thing or limitations I want the test of full contact, pro level..really find out where I stand skill wise and the experience of a pro level fight. You know what I mean?

They're modified for a reason: to protect competitors from themselves and their egos

Have you ever participated in any of these contests? I'd think it would be logical to make a natural progression by having a couple of amateur bouts and then reevaluate with your coach(es) based on your performance.

You don't just jump into the pro circuit without any experience lol. I mean I guess you can but that is not a good idea.

They're modified for a reason: to protect competitors from themselves and their egos

Have you ever participated in any of these contests? I'd think it would be logical to make a natural progression by having a couple of amateur bouts and then reevaluate with your coach(es) based on your performance.

I've done local grappling tournaments and a form of those modified MMA matches called Sport Jiu-jitsu. .I study in Japanese Jiu-jitsu , which is essentially a more Traditional form of MMA, with self defense techniques and weapon defenses included...so although i haven't done a amateur bout I have competiton experience..official amateur bouts prove even harder to find..there always titled under something else over here..like sport jiujitsu. ..combat grappling... MMA Exhibitions or sparring event..it's confusing lol hince why I posted the thread

Isn't your gym supposed to hook this up for you if you're any good?

Isn't your gym supposed to hook this up for you if you're any good?

Yeah I can go that route as well, this is me just me gathering Intel and asking the masses see what people can expose me to in the mma community I'm sure my senseI can set something up haven't had a full on conversation with him yet about it

Yeah I can go that route as well, this is me just me gathering Intel and asking the masses see what people can expose me to in the mma community I'm sure my senseI can set something up haven't had a full on conversation with him yet about it
Yeah—that would be a good idea. Would be nice to know that someone else thinks you're prepared for professional competition.

Best of luck to you.

go to topmmanews. Theres some Canadian promoters that post and hang out on that site

It shouldn't be hard for your coach to line you up with a amateur bout, not a big difference between amateur/pro I highly consider having a amateur bout or 2 to understand the intense stress your body goes under competing, after that assess your performance and go from there, if your good going pro and being noticed won't be hard.

I started training in January, and competed in my hometown 6 months later in amateur kickboxing, it was a surreal experience. Good luck with your future endeavours.

I would ask around your gym and talk to your coaches, let them know you want to compete. Where do you live?

It shouldn't be hard for your coach to line you up with a amateur bout, not a big difference between amateur/pro I highly consider having a amateur bout or 2 to understand the intense stress your body goes under competing, after that assess your performance and go from there, if your good going pro and being noticed won't be hard.

I started training in January, and competed in my hometown 6 months later in amateur kickboxing, it was a surreal experience. Good luck with your future endeavours.

Yeah it looks like wreck MMA has some amateur league going on..that maybe the option if I go for...congrats on your training so far and good luck moving forward..I've been training alot longer then you before deciding to compete in this type of match so good on you for jumping in so quick..if I do decide to do it I may make a thread cataloging my training and weeks leading into and after the fight..

Ontario Canada. . Brampton mississauga area
I don't know any gyms in your area but they probably have amateur competitions going on, specially boxing and MT gyms. Even if yours doesn't try and find out about other gyms. Facebook is a good place to make some contacts. And again, talk to your coaches about it, they should help you out with that. Good luck!

Back