Where does Wilder rank among all time great HWs?

when you say tyson didn't beat a "great" fighter in their prime, who do you mean? you talking about holyfield who went 1-2 against bowe, 0-2 against lewis and 1-1 against michael moorer?...is that the "great" fighter in his prime you're talking about? the same holy who struggled with vaughn bean and came thisclose to getting stopped by bert cooper?

This may come as a surprise to you, but at the time tyson faced holyfield for the first time, holy was considered over-the-hill, basically a fighter past his prime who had suffered health-issues with his heart and didn't really stand a chance against tyson. holyfield was supposed to be a stepping stone for a tyson-bowe fight. but holy upset the odds against tyson and for that win, is considered a great fighter.... however, if the fight had gone as expected, with tyson stopping holy in the mid-rounds, you and everybody would be saying tyson beat an old cruiserwt. so, tyson wouldn't have got any credit for that win over the fighter you now consider to be a “great”...the irony here is that holyfield's legacy as a great fighter is based largely on his wins over tyson...but if tyson was not a great fighter himself, why would those wins matter? i'm just saying, holy is not considered a great, great fighter for beating alex stewart, is he?

secondly, you’re probably referring to lennox lewis...the OTHER great fighter tyson lost to.... i have lennox #3 on my list, so i do consider him a great fighter, but let's be honest...this is lennox lews, the guy who got ko'd by hasim rahman for crying out loud...and oliver mccall, one of tony tucker's victims. lennox who fought life and death with mercer...and vitali. yeah, the tyson who fought lennox was way past his prime...

But let's look at the guys tyson DID beat. So, he wiped out the 3 champs at hw, tucker, bonecrusher and berbick. All three were deserving champs. tucker beat the man who eventually beat tyson...he also beat james broad, orlin norris and oliver mccall, the guy who ko’d your “great” lewis. Berbick was probably the best of the three...went 15 hard rounds with larry holmes, ko'd john tate and beat pinklon thomas who was, at the time, considered the best hw in the world. bonecrusher smith ko'd mike weaver, tim witherspoond and frank bruno...he also gave the great larry holmes a helluva scare and came close to stopping larry.

Well, none of those guys won even a round against tyson...tyson became the first man to unify the title since ali. that by itself makes him a great fighter...what other hw in modern times has repeated tyson’s feat? tyson restored order to the chaos and confusion of the hw div in the 80's by dominating HIS era.

Now, lets talk about spinks and ruddock and holmes.... spinks had beaten the great larry holmes twice....if spinks was nothing more than undersized lhw, how did he manage that? i have holmes #4 all time. clearly spinks was a legit hw champ..he may have been small for a hw, but that didn’t stop him from annihilating Gerry cooney and Stefan tangstad, two MUCH bigger, stronger hws. Spinks had significant advantages in height, reach and experience over tyson…tyson blew him out in 91 seconds.

Holmes came back from retirement to lose to Tyson, but the idea that holmes was an old, washed up fighter, is disproven by the fact he LATER gave holyfield one of holy’s toughest fights and he also BEAT mercer, who was considered a top hw of the 90's era which is considered second only to the 70's in terms of quality fighters….so, to discount tyson’s blowout of holmes is blatant cherry-picking.

Next, we have razor Ruddock…granted ruddock’s resume after Tyson wasn’t that great, but BEFORE Tyson, Ruddock was considered to be one of the scariest fighters around. He damn near killed Michael dokes…he damn near killed bonecrusher…holyfield and the rest of the how div ducked him…If you watched boxing in the late 80’s, Ruddock was the guy who was supposed to beat the great mike Tyson and people made it seem like Tyson was ducking him…Tyson and Ruddock had two of the most violent fights I’ve ever seen…and Ruddock was never the same again…Ruddock was an incredible specimen and Tyson literally destroyed him, broke his bones and all.

But what makes Tyson really special was the fact that he was in jail for 4 years....and came back out and went about unifying the hw title that had split apart in three after he lost the title!...he did this by stopping Bruno and seldon…name me another fighter who could go to jail for FOUR years of his prime and come out and unify the hw title. The only one who came close was ali…he was in exile for 3 years. But not complete exile, because he was allowed to box exhibitions during his ban. Tyson was in jail the entire time…do you know what an absence of that long a period does to a fighter? ali wasn't the same after his 3-year exile...tyson came back from not fighting for FOUR years of his prime and UNIFIED the hw title. Yeah, he lost to holyfield, but lemme ask you this…if holyfield had spent FOUR YEARS in jail and wasn’t allowed to fight even ONCE during that period, what makes you think holy would be able to come back after 4 years and become hw champ again? Not gonna happen…if the tables were turned and Tyson had stayed active, growing and developing as a pro and holy was in jail for 4 years, came out and faced any of the champs, much less tyson, he’d get ktfo.

I read the same story as you did that appeared in SI many years ago about Tyson never beating a great fighter…the dude who wrote that article was entirely misinformed and just wrong. For example, who did larry holmes beat that was a great fighter? Who did joe louis beat that was a great fighter? The answer is NOBODY…ali fought great fighters and struggled with them, such as frazier and Norton…lewis never faced a great fighter in that fighter's prime…holyfield has a LOSING record against the fighters who could be considered standouts of his era... and he's tied with a lhw who moved up to hw and beat him for the title. But people wanna forget the great stuff Tyson did and judge him ONLY on the portion of his career that happened AFTER the 4 years in jail.

And don’t go popping off and stating the obvious about how this is a long dissertation-type post. I wrote it, so I know how long it is…but somebody has to be fair and set the record straight about tyson’s career and we all know it aint you.
I can't even read all this. Obviously you're a big fan so that's good but you post like a professor giving a history lesson. The only problem is the regulars on here know everything you do and most completely disagree with you. You're entitled to your opinion but it's on the fringe to put it politely.

I think Holyfields heart issues was a misdiagnosis if I'm correct. So he never had heart troubles if that's true.

But Tyson was gone by then.

Tyson in 88 beats Holyfields ass and that's just the way it is.
That's not a given. It was a highly anticipated fight for a reason.

sounds to me like you have some issues with tyson himself... so, please explain to me why it's an important point that tyson didn't avenge his losses?...did holmes ever beat spinks? no...does that make larry less great? no... tyson wanted to fight a rematch with buster, but buster chose to fight evander instead...anyway that whole argument against tyson's greatness because he didn't avenge his losses that mostly occurred after his 4 year absence just sounds like you're LOOKING for stuff to hold against him.

yeah, tyson had a "short" prime...so what? how long was muhammad ali's prime? ali won the title in 1964 and went into exile in 1967...how is that so different from tyson? when ali came back he was no longer in his prime....so, ali's prime and tyson's prime are nearly the same except tyson had it worse. do you question ali's greatness too?

not only did holy duck ruddock, but bowe did as well....google it for yourself...do your own research. norton was a past prime 35 years old against holmes and still gave holmes the battle of his life

as far as vitali is concerned, i'm not even gonna get into that nonsense...vitali lost to chris byrd for chrissakes...yeah, you're gonna say he retired in the byrd fight due to an injury...but if i say tyson was jailed for 4 years from boxing THAT'S just an excuse....i hear ya, bro.

It's important Tyson didn't avenge his losses if you're trying to rank him above his contemporary in Lewis, who was the best HW of that era and who did avenge his losses. Meaning he beat everyone he ever fought.

yep you're right Holyfield ducked Ruddock after Ruddock had just lost twice in a row to Tyson so he could challenge Tyson in 91 who then ducked Holyfield, who he signed a contract to fight, by faking a rib injury just hours after hearing his trail wouldn't get delayed. Meanwhile Ruddock went on to his title eliminator against Lennox Lewis. All Ruddock had to do was win against Lewis and then he would've had his title fight with Holyfield. If he was a mandatory it would've been different but it wasn't.

I think Holyfields heart issues was a misdiagnosis if I'm correct. So he never had heart troubles if that's true.

Holyfield was still a cruiserweight at the beginning quarter of 88

It's important Tyson didn't avenge his losses if you're trying to rank him above his contemporary in Lewis, who was the best HW of that era and who did avenge his losses. Meaning he beat everyone he ever fought.

yep you're right Holyfield ducked Ruddock after Ruddock had just lost twice in a row to Tyson so he could challenge Tyson in 91 who then ducked Holyfield, who he signed a contract to fight, by faking a rib injury just hours after hearing his trail wouldn't get delayed. Meanwhile Ruddock went on to his title eliminator against Lennox Lewis. All Ruddock had to do was win against Lewis and then he would've had his title fight with Holyfield. If he was a mandatory it would've been different but it wasn't.
Tyson ducked holyfield?...in 90?...wtf?...the only guy tyson was ever accused of duckihg was ruddock when he was first scheduled to fight razor in '89, i believe...that's when tyson had the injury. but as you see, tyson later fought ruddock twice...holy on the other hand AND bowe both ducked razor. they ducked him for a reason...ruddock was a scary guy...probably the scariest in the hw div at the time next to tyson. even AFTER tyson destroyed ruddock, razor was still considered a huge threat because how insane both those fights were...but like i said earlier, tyson broke ruddock's ribs and his jaw...ruddock was never the same. but of course, tyson gets NO credit for beating the most dangerous man around at the time...typical tyson hater shit.

and like i keep saying, if you're talking about the buster rematch, it's not tyson's fault buster chose to fight evander instead of a tyson rematch..buster probably figured holyfield would be an easier fight. but any thought of a tyson-douglas rematch went out the window when buster showed up all obese and shit and got embarrassed by holy...i don't see that as a bad mark against tyson...i also don't see it as a bad mark that tyson lost to holy and lewis after coming back from a 4 year absence from boxing...so, if you wanna hold that against him, whatever floats your boat.

I can't even read all this. Obviously you're a big fan so that's good but you post like a professor giving a history lesson. The only problem is the regulars on here know everything you do and most completely disagree with you. You're entitled to your opinion but it's on the fringe to put it politely.
what have the "regulars" on here "disagreed" with me on? do they disagree that tyson got jobbed against buster?...do they disagree that tyson came back from a 4 year halt to his boxing career and still unified the title?...or is it just that they don't think wilder belongs among the top 10 all time hws? i've been reading all these posts and all i see is a buncha nonsense from people calling wilder a bum and tyson a bum and saying wilder never beat anybody and tyson never beat anyone in their prime. If that's what you mean by regulars disagreeing with me, then i would say i've effectiively rebutted all their baseless "arguments" and there's no reason for us to even continue this discussion.

You think Tyson looked all that different to when he fought Holyfield? Point to one fundamental different in his boxing.

You think Tyson looked all that different to when he fought Holyfield? Point to one fundamental different in his boxing.
this has been well-documented in many reports how after kevin rooney and cus, tyson started to fall into bad habits...his defense, his jab, things that were primary weapons deteriorated....when tyson came back from the 4-year jail-term, he was STILL good enough to beat a lotta top fighters, but if you listen to his interviews after fights, he would say "my people tell me i look good in training camp but i don't feel as good as they say i look..." even tyson knew there was something missing and that he was no longer the same fighter.

this has been well-documented in many reports how after kevin rooney and cus, tyson started to fall into bad habits...his defense, his jab, things that were primary weapons deteriorated....when tyson came back from the 4-year jail-term, he was STILL good enough to beat a lotta top fighters, but if you listen to his interviews after fights, he would say "my people tell me i look good in training camp but i don't feel as good as they say i look..." even tyson knew there was something missing and that he was no longer the same fighter.

I see a lot of head movement in Tyson-Holyfield 2.. And he's slim and fit. Tyson looked like shit right efter rooney departed but he seemed to find his groove post prision in the 90s. I think people would be surprised how little difference there would have been.

this must be one of the "regulars" making a well-informed argument in disagreement with me.

The only regular thing on this forum at the current time is the stream of shit constantly flowing from your keyboard. Wasteman.

I see a lot of head movement in Tyson-Holyfield 2.. And he's slim and fit. Tyson looked like shit right efter rooney departed but he seemed to find his groove post prision in the 90s. I think people would be surprised how little difference there would have been.
the difference would have been huge...holyfield damn near got ko'd by bert cooper...foreman and holmes gave him terrific battles...fightin a young, healthy, active mike tyson was biting off far more than holy could chew at the time...people make out like holy was this great fighter...bowe was a headcase and he battered holy all over the ring in the first fight almost knocking him out...then actually ko'd holy in the third fight...michael moorer barely even TRIED...and STILL beat holy. tyson-holyfield would have been no contest back in 90. the four years in jail did nothing but deteriorate tyson's skills same as it did to ali, same as it did with joe louis when he took a couple of years off to support the war effort...same as it does to any fighter who's not active.

analysts would point to tyson's poor balance, his lack of good timing, his lack of defense from the peekaboo stance that cus taught him, he wasn't using the jab...all these things were part of his decline.

at the same time, holy was growing into the division and getting more seasoned against some of the biggest names around...that's the only reason he was able to beat tyson six years after they were first supposed to fight.

Tyson did not have poor balance and his hand speed was the same. His timing was not as good but you have to take into concideration that Holyfield is several levels up to whoever Tyson shined against in his prime. It's easy to look good against middle of the road HWs.

there's guys out there who don't know the whole tyson story...so for them, they need to understand part of the reason why a lotta people feel antipathy towards tyson: it's because of how he was covered by the media throughout his career....

tyson was a young kid from brownsville brooklyn who grew up without responsible adult supervision or nurturing. as a kid, he got into a lotta trouble because brownsville is a rough place filled with bad influences....he grew up to become the youngest hw champ ever and first undisputed hw champ in a generation...but instead of getting praised for his accomplishments and for making a great success of his life where millions of others from the same origins had gone by the wayside, the media turned it into a negative...they said tyson was the best hw ONLY because he was a thuggish, bully with malevolent personality and superhuman destructive tendencies. not that he worked hard and dedicated himself to being the best at his job.

the whole thing about being a "bully" especially really bothered me, because i always thought of bullies as being big guys who pick on smaller, weaker guys...but tyson was always the smaller guy in the ring...so, on the basis of logic wouldn't that make him a small guy who could destroy his much bigger opponents?..that is, a far, far better fighter than all the other fighters around to the point where he could overcome his physical disadvantages to beat them?...in other words, he was GREAT at his job, right? but that's not how he was covered.

why do y'all think the bully narrative was put out there?

then, tyson joined forces with king because he was being exploited by a guy named bill cayton...and the media really piled it on. that's the reason even though he technically ko'd buster, the boxing orgs decided to recognize buster instead... like ali, tyson lost his title, not in the ring but in court...that was driven by anti-king hate.

tyson as a very polarizing figure...i remember once telling my high school buddies a story i read about how tyson was 15 years old and a grown man named teddy atlas pulled a gun on tyson for talking to a 13 year old girl...and my buddies were like "hell, yeah!...i'd pull a gun on tyson too! "

it also explains why a lotta people took desiree washington's side when she claimed rape (a complete lie, later proven by her ex-boyfriend) after she went to tyson's room of her own accord and spent the evening there...leading to tyson's imprisonment.

of course, a lotta times tyson didn't do himself any favors, esp in the holy rematch...i understand about the headbutts, but instead of biting, how about you hit the guy low or something instead? he made some bad judgement calls and he paid dearly for each and everyone of them...but he also got screwed over royally in his life and boxing career....but i believe his legacy will eventually rival the other greats such as ali and louis.

Last edited:
Tyson did not have poor balance and his hand speed was the same. His timing was not as good but you have to take into concideration that Holyfield is several levels up to whoever Tyson shined against in his prime. It's easy to look good against middle of the road HWs.
his poor balance and the other signs of his decline are well-documented in reports of his fights at the time...but hey, believe whatever makes you happy.

He could probably take the odd top ten out with his combination of natural attributes and style, but i wouldnt rate him anywhere near top 10 on the basis of H2H against his peers.

Also, Jordan was a better player than Lebron. Offensively and, by several margins, defensively.

Wilder ranks No. 1 All-Time. Laugh now but wait until his career is over. Bomb Zquad is a way of life, G code.

what have the "regulars" on here "disagreed" with me on? do they disagree that tyson got jobbed against buster?...do they disagree that tyson came back from a 4 year halt to his boxing career and still unified the title?...or is it just that they don't think wilder belongs among the top 10 all time hws? i've been reading all these posts and all i see is a buncha nonsense from people calling wilder a bum and tyson a bum and saying wilder never beat anybody and tyson never beat anyone in their prime. If that's what you mean by regulars disagreeing with me, then i would say i've effectiively rebutted all their baseless "arguments" and there's no reason for us to even continue this discussion.
Most of your assertions are your opinion. Obviously I'm not going to change it, and you are entitled to it, but that doesn't mean you're correct. You have a whacky list and putting Wilder on it is very premature.

4 years in a prison with no boxing program. A complete lack of preparation with any quality opponents. He still did well, and we need to take Holyfield's distance from his prime into account also, but it obviously wasn't '88 prime Tyson.

Last edited:
Back