Where does Wanderlei rank at 205?

Top five. I'd pick prime Wand over Jones. Wand was just a scary, violent dude who racked up too much mileage fighting out of weight class. That's one thing I both loved and hated about Pride: OWGP.

Jon Jones
  • UFC Light Heavyweight Championship (two times)
  • UFC Interim Light Heavyweight Championship
  • Most successful light heavyweight title defenses in UFC history (eight)
  • Most consecutive light heavyweight title defenses in UFC history (eight)
  • Third most consecutive title defenses in UFC history (eight)
  • Most submission victories in UFC light heavyweight history (five)
  • Longest win streak in UFC light heavyweight history (fourteen)
  • Youngest fighter to win a UFC championship (23 years, 242 days)[18]
  • Most wins in the UFC light heavyweight division (sixteen)
Daniel Cormier

Their resumes aren't close.

I don’t know. I appreciate we’re talking LHW, but Jones isn’t winning any Heavyweight GP. He’d get prison raped.

Imagine what Strikeforce GP Ubereem would have done to him. No version of Jones would have went anywhere near that fucking tournament.

I don’t know. I appreciate we’re talking LHW, but Jones isn’t winning any Heavyweight GP. He’d get prison raped.

Imagine what Strikeforce GP Ubereem would have done to him. No version of Jones would have went anywhere near that fucking tournament.

You’re crazy if you think Jon wouldn’t have beat Monson, Bigfoot, and Barnett to win the same bracket DC did. Why are you talking about Ubereem when DC never faced him? DC entered the tourney after all the biggest names had already bowed out or been eliminated and had an easy path to the top.

Kudos to him for winning but DC’s Strikeforce GP is overrated. He won the depleted tourney, not the actual GP.

It's important to recognize how much he did for the sport. When TUF got going EVERY single person I knew would be like "you think this is awesome, check this guy out" and would bring Wanderlei fights up on the internet (which wasn't the same as it is today) you usually had to download clips off like limewire lol.

Wand is one those cases where greatness and skill lines are blurred.

Dude is one of the greats, a legend. What he did for the sport is unforgettable. His legacy is top 5, maybe even top 3 in the division.

But when it comes to fighting skill, I would put him below many guys that don't have the same greatness, like Randy, Vitor, Machida and Arona.

One of the best at the time... Just watch some Old Pride DVD. Plus Rampage II is just awesome.
I first saw wand vs page 2 on YouTube back in the day. I was really in awe of that fight. A storm of violence with dramatic momentum swings and a glorious ending. Rampage was my favorite fighter when I got into mma at first, probably from 2005 up til abt 2011 when I started seeing him not even try to adapt

Along JBJ, DC, Chuck, Shogun and Tito, IMO. At the very top

I don’t dispute chuck won without a doubt but it wasn’t a blow out. Wanderlei has always had sub par TDD

Agreed...plus when did you ever see Chuck go for multiple takedowns in any of his fights like this one?

Agreed...plus when did you ever see Chuck go for multiple takedowns in any of his fights like this one?

It’s still my favorite fight. I remember wanderlei playing opossum a wabbling back to the cage, chuck followed for the kill and Wand just exploded with a hurricane of hooks. Great fight amongst legends. I know at least one judge had it 29-28 which is what I scored it. Wanderlei could have very well won 2-3 had not been for the takedowns. Legendary fight regardless.

Agree 100%. Pride Wand, Shogun, Rampage and Arona all straight whoop that ass. If Chuck had made it to Wand in that GP, the Iceman would have gotten pole-axed.

There was a thread some time ago in regards to where chuck would have been ranked had he competed in pride instead of the UFC. I got a lot of heat for saying Arona would have scraped Chuck. People forget how easily rampage put chuck on the mat in a ring. Arona would have had no problems getting and keeping chuck down. Wand, Shogun, Page, Arona and possibly Lil Nog would have beaten chuck in 2000-2005 era

right now? somewhere between 5millionth and 5 millionth. of all time? top 5 for what he's did

1.Jon Jones
2.Frank Shamrock
3.Tito Ortiz
4.Chuck Liddell
5.Daniel Cormier
6.Wanderlei Silva

He had a great career and is one of my favorites to watch but never had a great UFC career. I mostly go by defenses and who beat who but its a math equation i never quiet can totally figure out.

So?
Some of those guys didn’t have a great Pride career.

Chuck went 1-1 in Pride.
Tito beat up a bunch of smaller men in the UFC instead of trying Pride.
Frank Shamrock ducked Pride by trying to get a one-fight contract.

I rank him as one of the most entertaining 205'er in MMA history.

So?
Some of those guys didn’t have a great Pride career.

Chuck went 1-1 in Pride.
Tito beat up a bunch of smaller men in the UFC instead of trying Pride.
Frank Shamrock ducked Pride by trying to get a one-fight contract.
Pride was great but it was shortlived and while i enjoy the events i just dont put them on the same level because the UFC has a longer history but your right Chuck didnt have the sucess he had in the UFC but he also only had 2 fights there.

Pride was great but it was shortlived and while i enjoy the events i just dont put them on the same level because the UFC has a longer history but your right Chuck didnt have the sucess he had in the UFC but he also only had 2 fights there.

A decade of being the premier organization in the world is short-lived?

As long as Pride was in operation, the UFC was Bellator, at best.

Back