Where does Wanderlei rank at 205?

Yes way. Hendo did a LOT more than Wand. Including knocking him out for his belt and beating the two best hws of all time

But beating HWs has nothing to do with what he's done at LHW. All time rank, sure, but if we're talking just LHW, he has not done more than Wand

Yes way. Hendo did a LOT more than Wand. Including knocking him out for his belt and beating the two best hws of all time
Yeah but those wins were at HW. Hendo accomplished a lot over 3 weight classes. Wand has wins at 200-205 over Rampage 2x, Arona, Sakuraba 3x, Mezger, and Hendo.

Jesus I'm looking over Wand's resume and it's amazing how little we think of him now. We think of him almost like a can because of his UFC career. That really hurt his legacy.

Looking at his first 30 fights and then his move up to HW in PRIDE with epic fights against Mark Hunt, Cro Cop, man this guy is underrated now.

it is so hard to say because based on style wanderlei should be above Hendo and they both got owned by Vitor. so weird

prime Vitor is above hendo and shogun but manage to have that 1 decision loss at a shit point his career to chuck. chuck beat wanderlei when both out of prime. Rampage whooped hendo though
Styles make fights and a relatively young Vitor juiced off his balls is a dangerous fight for anyone.

Top 5 for sure. He beat many great fighters as champion. Rampage, Hendo, Liddell.. etc all came short.

But beating HWs has nothing to do with what he's done at LHW. All time rank, sure, but if we're talking just LHW, he has not done more than Wand

Well like Hendo, people want to give wand extra credit for fighting at open weight. His title defenses were pretty lackluster, except for rampage.

Dan had a much longer prime than wand, and that matters. Wand was essentially done by 2008, and Dan was still picking up quality wins years later.

Yeah but those wins were at HW. Hendo accomplished a lot over 3 weight classes. Wand has wins at 200-205 over Rampage 2x, Arona, Sakuraba 3x, Mezger, and Hendo.

Jesus I'm looking over Wand's resume and it's amazing how little we think of him now. We think of him almost like a can because of his UFC career. That really hurt his legacy.

Looking at his first 30 fights and then his move up to HW in PRIDE with epic fights against Mark Hunt, Cro Cop, man this guy is underrated now.

Yeah Hendo is a very special case, and it's admittedly hard to rank him at any single weight class.

It really sucks to see new fans come in and think guys like wand or bj are just cans. It's sad to watch guys fight years or even DECADES out of their prime. I've been watching over a decade now, so I've seen an entire generation of fighters get old and punch drunk.

Watching Nog get ktfo by Nelson, or Fedor by fucking mitrione, I just wish these guys had retired five years sooner.

It's difficult to say. He is definitley in the top 4 but as where exactly he goes,i dont know. Theres many variables for the top guys here. Wanderlei had a 5 year reign,and though he lost to chuck,he beat guys that beat chuck,and had to fight others who chuck didnt have a chance at,being in the UFC. Shogun's late career rally is impressive enough to make one rethink about him. Hendo has split his career in two different classes,and never got to successfully defend either of his titles.

It's difficult to say. He is definitley in the top 4 but as where exactly he goes,i dont know. Theres many variables for the top guys here. Wanderlei had a 5 year reign,and though he lost to chuck,he beat guys that beat chuck,and had to fight others who chuck didnt have a chance at,being in the UFC. Shogun's late career rally is impressive enough to make one rethink about him. Hendo has split his career in two different classes,and never got to successfully defend either of his titles.
Lhw is a tough class to rank overall, because like you said there are so many guys in general that all have wins over each other. And a LOT of transitional champs.

I'd put Jones on top because of his dominance, but steroids. Guy should have been the undisputed #1 too, it's a shame.

Lhw is a tough class to rank overall, because like you said there are so many guys in general that all have wins over each other. And a LOT of transitional champs.

I'd put Jones on top because of his dominance, but steroids. Guy should have been the undisputed #1 too, it's a shame.
Personally,im with DC who has done everything Jones has done,and more,in that he beat Crumble Johnson twice,and did it without any controversy really. It really says something that Jones keeps poppin for stuff,and cant hold on to the title,and DC keeps fighting and winning.

Well like Hendo, people want to give wand extra credit for fighting at open weight. His title defenses were pretty lackluster, except for rampage.

Dan had a much longer prime than wand, and that matters. Wand was essentially done by 2008, and Dan was still picking up quality wins years later.

And Wand was picking up quality wins in the earlier years. Still doesn't change the fact that Wand was a dominant champion and #1 at LHW for years. I don't think Hendo ever was #1, even after KOing Wand.

Indeed I would argue Hendo at LHW has lost more really big fights than he's won, Lil Nog, Rashad, Arona, Machida, Rampage and indeed Wanderlei himself first time around, all during his prime years as well not when he was in serious decline.

Last edited:
Bones, DC, Silva, Shogun and Iceman.

That's mine.

Def Top 5 overall.

Prime "Axe Murderer" Wand of Pride was a GD Demon!! Just his crazy pre-fight staredown would have ppl already half-beaten psychologically.

He took on all comers, including Chuck, Hendo, Rampage, Saku, Yvel, Mezger, Yoshida, Arona, Fujita, Vitor, Tito, Oyama, Jardine, Cung Le, Cro-Cop, even Hunt, for God's sake!

Sure, he slowed down a lot in the UFC, and has basically disappeared from the MMA world as a threat to anyone, but prime Wand was an absolutely crazy Mofo!!

I think after Jones, there are six or seven names in the mix that could be ranked in various ways: Wand, Shogun, Chuck, Rampage, DC, Couture, Tito. I'd probably rank Wand in the upper half of those names.

I'd also just add that the results of their two fights provide a pretty good argument to rank Rampage over Chuck.

Rampage vs Chuck is a tricky one because Rampage was the better fighter and finishee Chuck twice, but Chuck had the better career and accomplishments.

And Wand was picking up quality wins in the earlier years. Still doesn't change the fact that Wand was a dominant champion and #1 at LHW for years. I don't think Hendo ever was #1, even after KOing Wand.

True you don't gotta tell me, I love wand lol. Hendo too, so this is a hard one for me. I value individual wins over title reigns, when the champ is inactive or fights a lot of journeymen.

They're 1/1 head to head too. And they both had the balls to fight hws if this was overall careers. I think it's pretty close either way.

Rampage vs Chuck is a tricky one because Rampage was the better fighter and finishee Chuck twice, but Chuck had the better career and accomplishments.

I dunno if I agree chuck had the better career. Page has a good resume outside of beating chuck. This isn't like Hallman vs Hughes.

Page did beat chuck for his belt, then unify the lhw belt with the pride belt. That's a pretty damn amazing accomplishment, especially considering how good Dan was at that time.

True you don't gotta tell me, I love wand lol. Hendo too, so this is a hard one for me. I value individual wins over title reigns, when the champ is inactive or fights a lot of journeymen.

They're 1/1 head to head too. And they both had the balls to fight hws if this was overall careers. I think it's pretty close either way.

Oh, I totally agree with what you're saying. But for me, Wand is #3 or even 2.A/2.B with Shogun behind Jones.

I love Hendo, but when Wand dominated the LHW division for 4-5 years at one point, you can't say that for Hendo.

Back