Where does Conor rank all time as a striker/Ko artist in MMA?

Getting outstruck by Nate doesn't do your legacy wonder. But the One hit KO of Aldo is absolutely sweet. I don't know, we have to see how consistent he is.

Crocop, Hunto, Rampage, Chuck, Wanderlei, Shogun, JDS and all those dudes had like massive KO streaks during long periods of time. Conor is basically in entering his "prime" years of a fighter, believe it or not. So we have to wait and see.
7.gif

2.gif

8.gif

Last time I checked he revenged his loss knocking Diaz out 3 times.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

aldo-mcgregor-ufc-fight-gif-2.gif

Crocop, Hunto, Rampage, Chuck, Wanderlei, Shogun, JDS were all HW, LHW.
Knocking out or getting knocked out in these weight classes are extremely common.

Plus, those guys except for few, weren't knocking out current champs like Conor did.

Conor stands different from others as he utilizes precision and timing to beat guys not just sheer punching power

Who did he finish with an elbow? Some guy who he hurt with a left hand before.

A guy like Overeem will be on his way to losing until he finishes you from any position.

There is no competition in terms of diversity of offense between Overeem and Conor.
A guy named Steve O'Keefe, it was basically identical to the Travis Browne KO of Barnett when the guy attempted a takedown.(conor did it first;))

That's not a good thing, Conor has never had an equal in the stand-up, so he doesn't need to pull out a home run comeback whereas Overeem has 15 losses on his record and rarely dominates from start to finish like Conor does, cardio has really been the only weakness Conor has shown in his striking game, and it looks like he is well on his way to sorting that out.

Being more diverse doesn't necessarily make you a better striker, as bruce lee said "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."

Id say hes top 5... and u guys?

Best of all time

No where near the top. Conor is a great fighter but a 100x better promoter. Silva, Crocop, Aldo, Chuck, Vitor, Overeem there are plenty that have longer careers and proven better, so far.

Conor got everyone fooled caus he's loud. Well played son, well played

This.

Don't get the promotion/hype mixed up with his record, guys.

He has a long road to travel to get in the A group.

He has the skills to do it doe

Getting outstruck by Nate doesn't do your legacy wonder. But the One hit KO of Aldo is absolutely sweet. I don't know, we have to see how consistent he is.

Crocop, Hunto, Rampage, Chuck, Wanderlei, Shogun, JDS and all those dudes had like massive KO streaks during long periods of time. Conor is basically in entering his "prime" years of a fighter, believe it or not. So we have to wait and see.

Hard to say. He has some great KO wins. On the other hand, he's not a very diversified striker compared to guys like Thompson, Overeem, etc.
McGregor doesn't have a jab for example.

He has a pretty impressive record, sure.

But then there's Mark Hunt, Roy Nelson, Anthony Johnson, Anderson Silva... Not to mention all the fighters already said. He's got a ways to go to be a GOAT. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Mcgregor is absolutely ahead of Aldo in being a KO artist. Look at their UFC fights. Not even debatable.

1. Anderson Silva

2. Conor McGregor

Facts don't lie, Melvin Manhoef is the undisputed KO/TKO champ. Conners up there in a big way, arguably higher than Jimi even but not even close to Melvin. While I didn't check every fighter I checked all the ones who I thought of when I think KO/TKO.

McGregor is 2, 3 or 4. Melvin is 1, Any order(Jimi, Conner, Shogun ((depending on the weight you give the extra fights))

Melvin Manhoef- 93% of 30 wins

Jimi Manuwa- 88% of 17 wins

Conner McGregor- 86% of 21wins

Yoel Romero- 83% of 12 wins

Shogun- 80% of 25 wins

Mark Hunt- 75% of 12 wins

Stipe Miocic- 75% of 16 wins

Crocop 74% of 35 wins

Robbie Lawler- 74% of 27 wins

Rumble- 73% of 22 wins

Vitor Belfort- 72% of 25 wins

Wanderlei Silva- 71% of 35 wins

JDS- 67% of 18 wins

Jeremy Stephens- 64%

The Iceman- 62%

Anderson Silva- 59%

Thiago Alves- 57%

Mike Swick- 53%

Alisteer Overreem- 45%

Rampage- 43%

Gomi- 37%

Chris Lytle- 10%

Facts don't lie, Melvin Manhoef is the undisputed KO/TKO champ. Conners up there in a big way, arguably higher than Jimi even but not even close to Melvin. While I didn't check every fighter I checked all the ones who I thought of when I think KO/TKO.

McGregor is 2, 3 or 4. Melvin is 1, Any order(Jimi, Conner, Shogun ((depending on the weight you give the extra fights))

Shogun- 80% of 25 wins

Crocop 74% of 35 wins

Rumble- 73% of 22 wins

JDS- 67% of 18 wins

Jeremy Stephens- 64%

The Iceman- 62%

Anderson Silva- 59%

Thiago Alves- 57%

Mike Swick- 53%

Alisteer Overreem- 45%

Rampage- 43%

Gomi- 37%

Chris Lytle- 10%
Would be interesting to see those KO/TKO stats when all their fights are included, not just the wins.

That would probably show a clearer picture of mma striking prowess, coz if you lose half you fights but all your wins are ko's it isn't the best representation of how good your mma striking is, or you wouldn't be losing so many fights.

Would be interesting to see those KO/TKO stats when all their fights are included, not just the wins.

That would probably show a clearer picture of mma striking prowess, coz if you lose half you fights but all your wins are ko's it isn't the best representation of how good your mma striking is, or you wouldn't be losing so many fights.

True but the TS said best KO artist not overall/diverse striker. Personally I was surprised at the results, 1 I honestly didn't think Conner was up there and 2 ones who I knew were seen as KO artists just aren't

Shogun- 80% of 25 wins

Crocop 74% of 35 wins

Rumble- 73% of 22 wins

JDS- 67% of 18 wins

Jeremy Stephens- 64%

The Iceman- 62%

Anderson Silva- 59%

Thiago Alves- 57%

Mike Swick- 53%

Alisteer Overreem- 45%

Rampage- 43%

Gomi- 37%

Chris Lytle- 10%
Math doesn't lie. In 24 fights, Mcgregor has 18 TKO/KOs. In 46 fights, Manhoef has 28 TKO/KOs.

Mcgregor has finished 75% of his fights by TKO/KO. Manhoef has finished 61% of his fights by TKO/KO.

Last edited:
Cody will also be very high up on the list, which is impressive considering his weight class, although he doesn't have that many fights so it comes with a *

#1 Anderson Silva
No clear top 5 other than that imo. But Megregor is in top 5 for sure.

Id say hes top 5... and u guys?
Probably 30-40

He needs to defend his belt against the real best not go 1-1 with Diaz lol

This is an insult to

Chuck
Rumble
Silva
Jds
Edson
Belfort
Arlovski
Cro cop

How do u even put him in the top 5 lol

I know I'm missing some killers too

Top 5 lol

Top 10 at the moment. Could go down as one of the greatest if he does it will defending a couple of times.

Shogun- 80% of 25 wins

Crocop 74% of 35 wins

Rumble- 73% of 22 wins

JDS- 67% of 18 wins

Jeremy Stephens- 64%

The Iceman- 62%

Anderson Silva- 59%

Thiago Alves- 57%

Mike Swick- 53%

Alisteer Overreem- 45%

Rampage- 43%

Gomi- 37%

Chris Lytle- 10%

you also have to check who they have faced. Silva ko's when he was champion are way more impressive than Melvin outside of the ufc. that take nothing away from Manhoef, the guy was a real beast. Conor #3 is spot on imo!

Math doesn't lie. In 24 fights, Mcgregor has 18 TKO/KOs. In 46 fights, Manhoef has 28 TKO/KOs.

Mcgregor has finished 75% of his fights by TKO/KO. Manhoef has finished 61% of his fights by TKO/KO.

Yes if you do it your way I'm wrong but I see it differently.

(TO ME) A KO artist is a fighter with the best percentage of KO's to wins, this shows he isn't just trying to win but to finish. This also takes into account a lot of fighters hunting for the KO get finished(or decision'd) as they have a tendency to leave themselves open and get hit or taken down. You could probably even find a way to factor in their losses and work out the KO/TKO losses along with the wins.
Your way doesn't take this into account and the longer a person fights the more negatively skewed to percentages esp. for a true KO artist. Than you'll get a guy with 5 fights 5 KO's the supreme champion.

(TO ME) A KO artist is a fighter with the best percentage of KO's to wins, this shows he isn't just trying to win but to finish. This also takes into account a lot of fighters hunting for the KO get finished(or decision'd) as they have a tendency to leave themselves open and get hit or taken down. You could probably even find a way to factor in their losses and work out the KO/TKO losses along with the wins.
Your way doesn't take this into account and the longer a person fights the more negatively skewed to percentages esp. for a true KO artist. Than you'll get a guy with 5 fights 5 KO's the supreme champion.

You're just omitting fights where they couldn't win by TKO or KO, to make certain people look better than they actually are. A KO artist is also a fighter with the best percentage of KO's to fights because you know, those fights count too. Taking into account fighters that headhunt is a choice you made, that really is nothing more than an excuse for a loss.

Your way doesn't take into account fights that actually happened where said fighter didn't win by KO/TKO because they didn't have the ability to pull it off. That needs to count against them negatively. Your part about getting a guy with 5 fights with 5 KOs being the supreme champion doesn't even make sense. Your logic will show the same thing. Mike Perry has 9 wins and all 9 are by TKO so that would make the supreme champion of KO'ing, neglecting that he has another fight in there where he couldn't KO or TKO the guy, in Jouban. For that, you just shouldn't include fighters with under 20 fights.

You're just omitting fights where they couldn't win by TKO or KO, to make certain people look better than they actually are. A KO artist is also a fighter with the best percentage of KO's to fights because you know, those fights count too. Taking into account fighters that headhunt is a choice you made, that really is nothing more than an excuse for a loss.

Your way doesn't take into account fights that actually happened where said fighter didn't win by KO/TKO because they didn't have the ability to pull it off. That needs to count against them negatively. Your part about getting a guy with 5 fights with 5 KOs being the supreme champion doesn't even make sense. Your logic will show the same thing. Mike Perry has 9 wins and all 9 are by TKO so that would make the supreme champion of KO'ing, neglecting that he has another fight in there where he couldn't KO or TKO the guy, in Jouban. For that, you just shouldn't include fighters with under 20 fights.

Great post TS....this is a question I ask myself all the time...it scrambles my brain.

Right now seems easier to answer (not all time) and I think you gotta say Rumble or Conor.....they just seem to win a higher % of exchanges. Rumble has never really lost any striking rounds on the feet but he also hasn't fought Aldo quality strikers or anyone as rugged and long distance as Diaz.....so to me, it's even.

Back