Where do *YOU* think *OTHER* War Room regulars sit on the U.S political spectrum?

They could have said "more equality" and "less equality" but the notion's still the same.

It's very different. The assumption, I guess, is that more "intervention" = "more equality"? That's not right, and I'd think you of all people would appreciate the problem, as you aren't deluded as many are about the nature of gov't intervention (for example, the existence of capital income requires and is a form of gov't intervention). It's not clear how it's less interventionist for the gov't to side with capitalists than for gov't to side with workers (or to go both ways).

But the libertarian left has no place here. Do you really think Anarchist Catalonia had any relationship with the Soviet Union? In the standard spectrum they do. They're right next to each other!

But, again, the difference isn't primarily ideological, which is what the spectrum is supposed to represent (and what proponents of the right-wing libertarian version also claim to represent).

So in a standard spectrum, Anarchist Catalonia could turn into the USSR (or the other way around, depending on who you consider to be furthest left) with just a few minor changes. That just can't be accurate.

I don't think the spectrum says anything about becoming. There's no reason at all to think that Catalonia would turn into the USSR just because the USSR was run by leftists and trade unions had a foothold in Catalonia.

It's very different. The assumption, I guess, is that more "intervention" = "more equality"? That's not right, and I'd think you of all people would appreciate the problem, as you aren't deluded as many are about the nature of gov't intervention (for example, the existence of capital income requires and is a form of gov't intervention). It's not clear how it's less interventionist for the gov't to side with capitalists than for gov't to side with workers (or to go both ways).

The freedom to which private power can exist (virtually none in the USSR, Maoist China, much greater in Thatcherite Britain, Singapore, Somalia etc.) is probably the biggest thing.

But, again, the difference isn't primarily ideological, which is what the spectrum is supposed to represent (and what proponents of the right-wing libertarian version also claim to represent).

Yeah, the difference is in tactics, like you said. And the Soviet tactic of idolizing the state, submitting to a vanguard party and engaging in a cult of personality, is vastly different from anarchist tactics of collective management, ownership and decision-making.

On the right, I also see a huge difference between US neocons who also worship the state, the military and think US imperialism is a wonderful thing, to the isolationist libertarian types who only give a damn about filling their seeing their bank account grow.

I don't think the spectrum says anything about becoming. There's no reason at all to think that Catalonia would turn into the USSR just because the USSR was run by leftists and trade unions had a foothold in Catalonia.

Of course there is. Progression and relationship is implied in any continuum. This is the whole point of inserting putting political concepts into a mathematical/geometrical one.

I just did a quick google image search of "standard political spectrum" and it is absolutely full of incoherent garbage. I suggest you try it. The Nazis are next to the USSR, next to Cuba. Ron Paul and "anarchy" (which the political compass site correctly points out as having historically been left wing) are way to the right as "complete freedom."

To me, this illustrates how incomplete and simplistic it is. Any idiot can put the good guys on the right (freedom!) and the bad oppressors on the left (the gubmint!). This is much harder to do in the compass. The standard spectrum was fine in the 1800s when the left was the worker's movement, secularism, humanism while the right was monarchy, capitalists and the church.

But starting in the 20th century and with the appearance of Leninism/Maoism and of secular free marketeers breaking away from the church, some new dimensions were needed.

The casted votes have been added to the OP. Feel free to look over them to get an idea of what the chart will looks like after the votes are tallied.

More votes and less chit-chat give TS something to compile. More votes means more noticed means most fitting. :)

Since this project started last Wednesday, I think I'll start tallying the votes in 3 days.

One whole week should be plenty of time for people who are actively participating in this thread to submit the assessment for their favorite WR posters, I think.

Remember folks: you don't get to complain at the results if you don't vote, just like in real life! :cool:

Last edited:
What's the difference between that and knuckle-dragger?
Lol, thames said im a far right nutjob. Im prochoice, pro gay marriage, pro affir action.

Just because i said he offers up his girl to muslim refugees and then offers his butthole to them because it is tighter than his girl, that doesnt make me far right, that just makes him a cuck

Lol, thames said im a far right nutjob. Im prochoice, pro gay marriage, pro affir action.

Just because i said he offers up his girl to muslim refugees and then offers his butthole to them because it is tighter than his girl, that doesnt make me far right, that just makes him a cuck
Just drop the far right part and he's got you pegged ;)

What the fuck man?

That would actually happen a lot because Anung is actually a right-winger, just like those other two.

Wouldn't @Anung Un Rama be a a leftist since he supports Bernie, and wouldn't @Charles Manson 's advocacy of legal drug use make him libertarian? His AV used to be a Molotov cocktail. Might as well of been an A for anarchy. I lived without a computer for a decade so I am new to this trolling thing. Thanks for the education Party Member O'Brien!

Wouldn't @Anung Un Rama be a a leftist since he supports Bernie, and wouldn't @Charles Manson 's advocacy of legal drug use make him libertarian?

Right-wing libertarians are on the right. And Anung supports Bernie for non-ideological reasons (I think he'd even admit that he doesn't agree with most of Sanders' platform). He supported Ron Paul in 2012, and still stands behind that.

I guess don't post here enough to be considered on any spectrum :p

Wouldn't @Anung Un Rama be a a leftist since he supports Bernie, and wouldn't @Charles Manson 's advocacy of legal drug use make him libertarian? His AV used to be a Molotov cocktail. Might as well of been an A for anarchy. I lived without a computer for a decade so I am new to this trolling thing. Thanks for the education Party Member O'Brien!
I'd like to think that it depends on the topic where I go down in definition.
But I definitely go mostly down the route of not caring for governments messing about when people are not harming others.

What is it you're saying I'm lying about? Nothing, right? Just that if you don't express fanatical hostility to someone once a day, you'll have a stroke, right?
425.gif

The problems is consistency. But you'll see that in anybody here that sides with a particular political party. I mean, just looks at the division within the Republican party. This is to be expected.

A lot of libertarians though, and it's frustrating to me, aren't just inconsistent in their beliefs... but they downright contradict themselves sometimes. The immigration issues is a big one too, how can you support the free market but not support an influx of cheap labor? Hell, even W at one point said that he supported immigration for this reason. Of course large MW increases will work in direct contradiction of this.. but I believe more business owners will be paying under the table as a result.

Or the legalizing of marijuana is another one.... I'm all for the decriminalization, but I'm not jumping on the "make a legitimate business out of it so the government can tax you" BS. I'm more about emptying out prisons and easing the burden on the court system and taxpayers, not finding another reason for the government to tax people.

The existence of the welfare state complicates the the immigration issue. Abolish that and it's a much different discussion.

I don't want the government to tax any person or activity. Taxes are theft.

Back