Where do we stop?

Darth_Inv1ctu5

Yellow Card
@Black
Reaction score
My first post in this sub, and pretty much first real post on fitness forums in general, I lurk and read a lot but haven't really posted much.

I've been lifting for exactly ten years now, I started with P90X the first year and went through a variety of strength training protocols over time, with a ten month stint in crossfit sandwiched in between some three years ago. I went from being 200lb unfit at the outset, to 155 at my leanest at 25, to now being 215 and the strongest I've ever been at 33.

T-Nation, for better or worse, has been my Bible since 25, that place has encyclopedic variety of good content and training information and advice. They have a phenomenal crew of high caliber coaches well respected in the industry. Some of my favorites have been Christian Thibaudeau, Jim Wendler, Charles Poliquin, Alwyn Cosgrove, Chad Waterbury, Chris & Dani Shugart etc.

I've been thinking a lot lately about where I want to land with weightlifting - what's the end game. It started as means of getting lean, but then it switched to getting strong, and this is where the conundrum begins - where do you pull the brakes and start working on getting more well-rounded?

There's no error in picking strength as the primary goal - it's the hardest thing to get and the most meaningful, in my mind - but as I'm getting through my 30s, where do I start thinking about going a bit easier on my body? When do I say "this is it, this is as strong as you'll ever be, now maintain and/or work on physique" or whatever?

At 33 I got to a 435 squat, 475 deadlift and 255 bench. My sort of arbitrary goal back in the day was a 400 squat, 500 dead and 300 bench. I'm reasonably close to making this happen, so now my question is, given my age, should I push further, or hit these numbers and work on work capacity and body comp? More of a philosophical quandary than biological, perhaps.

Thoughts?

I'm 28, and have a very similar journey. I also think about the very same thing you do fairly often. I think 33 is still fairly young in the lifting game, and you still have room to improve, you just need to be smarter about it than at 23 imo. I'm the same weight as you and have similar lifts. My ''ultimate goals'' would be the following:

Being able to hit these numbers easily on any given day

Bench 5 x 5 x 275
Squat 5 x 5 x 365
Deadlift 5 x 5 455
Press 5 x 5 x 185
Weighted Chin Ups 5 x 5 x BW+90

You really don't need to be stronger than that. With these numbers you're stronger than 99.9999% of gym goers. The only people stronger is the 1 in a 100 millions genetic freak or juicers.

You're only 33. That's not old when it comes to strength training.

I'm 35 and still making good progress.

You're only 33. That's not old when it comes to strength training.

I'm 35 and still making good progress.

Kinda my thinking still. I do feel like I'm undercutting my progress a bit by not working on my core in a dedicated fashion, and my eating isn't sufficient, all of which makes me feel like I'm hitting my limits sooner than I actually should

Just keep on trucking. You have plenty of years left to improve your strength across a variety of rep ranges - don't just focus on the 1RM unless you are intending on competing in powerlifting, find your 2RM, 3RM etc, sod it, find a 20RM every now and then.

Set conditioning challenges for yourself, bodyweight challenges, chin up, dips, there's plenty left to conquer, even if eventually your absolute strength levels go down....but I'd say that's a way off yet.

I was thinking about making a similar thread because I'm 41 and I'm wondering if there is an end game to this lifting journey. I know it's not close for me. I'm still making strength gains, I just have to be careful because there are some joint issues I have to monitor. I'm currently running Greyskulls LCI program. It's brutal but it's not running me into the ground.

I say all that as an "old man" who is still progressing and as long as you stay on a good program or even start getting some personal training from a legit coach I think you'll be ok.

if it's just a hobby, have fun and don't do it if it hurts.
age changes everything. sooner or later.

I'm 39, I lift to play football. I ain't stopping ever, I just modify and accommodate as a result of injury etc.

It's enjoyable in itself also, hit bench, pulls and squats last night and it felt good! I guess I'll tail off when it doesn't.

There is no end game.
Uncover your next weakness or weakest aspect and make it your best attribute.

Whenever the stress and recovery needed to keep on improving on attribute compromises your ability to pursue more important attributes, or your quality of life in an unacceptable way.

I read once that even at 70 you can still make some gains so the end is when dead. If is something that you love you´ll keep lifting around the problems and injuries.
I am 32 but is nice to see older people wih good attitude and not the typical "when I was young" or " I´m too old for that thing" ...

At 33 I'm for sure one of the younger guys at my gym. Some guys are still moving some serious weight into their 50s. It seems like if you are consistent and continue to workout in a reasonable manner you can progress to a degree and at the very least maintain a decent physique/strength.

Back