Where can i learn catch wrestling or submission wrestling in the New York City area?

chamcham

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
The only legit catch wrestling classes in the US seem to be at Hammonton, NJ (Snake PIt USA Headquarters) and CSW in Fullerton, CA.

I am not sure if Joel Bane is one of the teachers there at the Hammonton school. He is the guy you see teaching in the official Snake Pit USA catch wrestling videos.

For example,

Are there any other schools that teach catch or submission wrestling in the NYC area that are good? Supposedly, there is a catch class at a school in Maspeth, NY. But i’ve read that it might not be so good.

Besides catch wrestling, are there other submission wrestling classes in the NYC area? NYC has tons of BJJ classes. But i’m surprIsed at the lack of submission wrestling.

Last edited:
Look up Boyd Ritchie. He's on facebook. Don't remember which gym he's at. I trained with him several times when he lived down south. Knows a lot of catch and sambo. Also look up stephen koepfer. He runs new york city sambo and is a cool guy to train with

Look up Boyd Ritchie. He's on facebook. Don't remember which gym he's at. I trained with him several times when he lived down south. Knows a lot of catch and sambo. Also look up stephen koepfer. He runs new york city sambo and is a cool guy to train with
I agree with new york city sambo. Sambo Steve is the place to go if you want high level submission grappling that isnt bjj. They do no gi sambo as well.

I'm interested in catch wrestling as well, I'm sure they have some bad catch gyms just like in sambo or judo or bjj. Look at the places close to you check them out, biggest diff is if it no gi or gi. I trained under a wrestler who didn't call his gym catch wrestling but it basically was, just a D1 wrestler who learned submission fighting. He didn't label himself as catch though. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Eddie Rolon classifies himself as a submission wrestler. He has handful of MMA fights, but mostly has been teaching for a decade now. He did start out in BJJ, but did not go far. Then he just worked out with some Judokas, did some seminars with Cecchine, and I think some sambo guys too.

http://www.teamendgame.net/

He is in NJ though, close to Manhattan.

Besides catch wrestling, are there other submission wrestling classes in the NYC area? NYC has tons of BJJ classes. But i’m surprIsed at the lack of submission wrestling.

But what is submission wrestling outside of catch and BJJ? Even one of the videos you posted, "Countering the De La Riva with leglocks" goes to show that these days: Catch = (nogi) BJJ = Submission wrestling...

The teaching style my differ, the overall philosophy may differ, but probably no more so than teaching styles and philosophies within an individual art.

The only legit catch wrestling classes in the US seem to be at Hammonton, NJ (Snake PIt USA Headquarters) and CSW in Fullerton, CA.

I am not sure if Joel Bane is one of the teachers there at the Hammonton school. He is the guy you see teaching in the official Snake Pit USA catch wrestling videos.

For example,

Are there any other schools that teach catch or submission wrestling in the NYC area that are good? Supposedly, there is a catch class at a school in Maspeth, NY. But i’ve read that it might not be so good.

I’m pretty sure Dan Bocelli teaches most of the classes at Snake Pit/Razor’s Edge. I don’t know about his catch wrestling, but he has legit BJJ and judo knowledge.

If you want to learn submission wrestling go to a bjj gym, The best subwreatling gym in the wolrd is right there... Renzo Gracie academy

Lulz at jabronis who walk by great gyms run by world champions so they can train at shitty crappling gyms and talk about how their techniques are too deadly for BJJ. Sad!

Come on TS... Don't you know that if you don't go to a BJJ gym, you won't even be able to out-grapple a small child?

How dare you want to try something different to what every other chump does!

How dare you want to try something different to what every other chump does!

He asked about catch or submission wrestling. He can learn submission wrestling from some champs in a BJJ gym or learn rebranded crappy BJJ from some chump in a catch wrestling gym.

As some people have said, Sambo Steve has a gym in NYC which will give you what you are looking for. Overall, if you really want to learn a catch-type grappling game and are in the NYC area, go to K Dojo in Fairfield NJ. That was Khabib's first gym upon training and fighting in the States and its all Caucasus based fighters. You can take the train from NYC if you need to. Also, and I cant speak to the level of this school/system, but there are a couple schools on Long Island that teach shootfighting (the kind that is practiced in the S Cup in Japan) that has been around for at least 20 years. I know they used to have CACC seminars all the time.

Which leads me to make a point others have already made. Let's say you were to end up training at say Weidman-Longo MMA in Garden City NY. You'd be learning from a high level wrester who parlayed his wrestling skills into highly effective sub grappling skills. Not catch by name but probably what you are looking for. It might also be worth mentioning that former UFC fighter Chris Wade has said that he considers his style that of a catch wrestler. Basically another high level wrestler who implemented Bjj into his style. His gym is on Long Island too.

Back