When you play games wrong your whole life

There are so many high profile players playing on pad at this point that anyone pretending you have to play on stick is going to sound like he hasn't been paying attention. Capcom Cup has been won by a pad player for two years in a row.

Yep! Controller is 100% viable but more than that I was getting at these odd contraptions

all_button_2_1024x1024.jpg

Where your movement is buttons as well. I mean, for a D-pad, they're just small buttons that you manipulate with one finger - these you get the dexterity of the whole hand.

I played a few FGs on kb with WASD as Dpad and 489 & 156 num pad imitating LMH punch and kick - was surprised how easy it translated. Not enough to get me to buy a box like that because I already have a controller I like but yeah.

Pinky goes to shift/CTRL/Tab/etc. Middle finger is for W and S. Thumb for alt/space. Index finger for D and other button interactive buttons like E and F.

When I was playing Duke 3D/etc. on the PC, , I would use Mouse 2 to move forward, and Enter to jump.

The WASD strafe strategy didn't come in until Unreal Tournament or Quake III. Stuck ever since.

That would be a great advantage since you don't need to use more than two buttons at a time anyway.

But you do have to move from strafing left to right and vice versa, while moving forward or backward. That would not be efficient with only 2 fingers.

Pinky goes to shift/CTRL/Tab/etc. Middle finger is for W and S. Thumb for alt/space. Index finger for D and other button interactive buttons like E and F.

When I was playing Duke 3D/etc. on the PC, , I would use Mouse 2 to move forward, and Enter to jump.

The WASD strafe strategy didn't come in until Unreal Tournament or Quake III. Stuck ever since.
It was a popular mod to change to WASD in quake 2,
First game with WASD implementation out of the gate was half life

Cool article.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-wasd-became-the-standard-pc-control-scheme/

Pretty delightful article. He has carried it well with a sense of self-deprecation.

He uses a weird setup but it makes sense from a typist perspective.

First FPS game i ever played on the PC was CS back in 1999 at my cousins house. Soon as i got myself a copy of Half Life i immediately changed the movement keys to QWES. Holding your fingering in the triangle position for AWDS is uncomfortable.

Iirc, there's an esports personality who uses only two fingers for wasd. Can't figure out who, though

Its Coldzera.

But you do have to move from strafing left to right and vice versa, while moving forward or backward. That would not be efficient with only 2 fingers.
One of the things I rembered missing the most playing later versions of doom on consoles was being able to straight strafe left and right.

But yeah strafing and moving at the same time with only two fingers would be awkward if effective at all?

Having trouble wrapping my head around it since it’s been so long since I played doom or quake on a pc

He uses a weird setup but it makes sense from a typist perspective.

First FPS game i ever played on the PC was CS back in 1999 at my cousins house. Soon as i got myself a copy of Half Life i immediately changed the movement keys to QWES. Holding your fingering in the triangle position for AWDS is uncomfortable.

Its Coldzera.
Now I know you weren't forced to take piano lessons as a kid.

I used to play doom with arrow keys to move, Z and X to strafe, left CTRL to shoot. shift run. space to use.

I learned to type talking shit on counter strike beta 6. WASD is normal for me.

Middle finger has always been on W and S, ring on A, pointer/index on D. The length of my fingers and width of my hands has always made WASD a pain though as I end up pressing two buttons at once often, so I just use a Playstation Move Nav controller for my left hand and mouse for my right.

I do ring finger on A, middle finger on W/S, index on D. Didn't know there was another way to do it.

Back