When will games start to look like this?

• Thread starter Deleted member 391673
  • Start date
Would take rock solid 60fps for every console game over super textures and fabric detail and the stuttery 30fps or below we usually get.

It's going to take longer and longer if they keep pushing the resolution up

They should just stop with 4k and focus on making the actual graphics better, not just adding more pixels to render

It takes so much power to render a clean native 4k image

If they took something with about the power of the Xbox One X but dropped it down to 1080p they could probably get close to rendering something the quality of that image

The problem is they keep upping the resolution of displays before the GPU's are really capable of delivering that native resolution

We will probably have 8k TV's soon, and the whole thing will repeat itself

It’s funny you say that because I’ve been gaming for like 25 years and I remember all the advancements in graphics in the late 90s on PC (glide, OpenGL, Direct3D etc) and none of the focus was on resolution, instead it was on things like lighting and shadows, particle effects, anti aliasing etc. Fast forward 15 years and it’s all resolution and I couldn’t care less. My eyes are so bad I see the real world in 640x480 with 16 bit colours.

It’s funny you say that because I’ve been gaming for like 25 years and I remember all the advancements in graphics in the late 90s on PC (glide, OpenGL, Direct3D etc) and none of the focus was on resolution, instead it was on things like lighting and shadows, particle effects, anti aliasing etc. Fast forward 15 years and it’s all resolution and I couldn’t care less. My eyes are so bad I see the real world in 640x480 with 16 bit colours.

The analogy I always use is compare a live action movie @ 720p and a video game @ 4k

The 4k video game looks sharper because the pixels are smaller, but the 720p movie looks more realistic because ________ (more polys, better shading/lighting, everything that goes into making something look real)

Not saying games should render @ 720p but imagine if you took something like Xbox One X and targeted a resolution of 720p, imagine how much horsepower you would have to run your shaders, you would be able to make something that looks damn near photorealistic

When you target a resolution of 4k so much of your horsepower is used up just on rendering thar many pixels, so you need to compromise on your lighting effects etc..

I'd rather see horsepower put to use in more complicated open worlds (imagine a large open world game where you can enter every building and fully interact with everything and everyone in them) and more complex AI than see games go more linear just to push graphics.

For what it's worth, that original video has dense photogrammetry assets. They're becoming more viable in games now and look really lifelike because.. well.. they're constructed from photos of real life objects.

Back