When will Dana and co. stop handing out fake belts?

Elcucringy

Awkward AF 100% of the time!
@purple
Reaction score
Seems like every other ppv they're handing out "interim" belts. We all know and realize that they're meaningless, but Dana and crew try and validate them.

No they need interim belts , thank god they put a interim belt in colby vs rda . now fucking tyquill will be forced to defend his belt and stop crying about "racism" "homophobia" and fighting nate and gsp

Agreed. It obviously isn't increasing ppv buys

I don't know when this Interim Championship Fetish started but I agree it needs to end.

5g7x03i.jpg

After WME sells the company to those that actually know/care about MMA

What UFC needs is a clear guideline when an interim belt will be handed out. I dont know why that is so difficult for them to come up with.

Since actual rankings don't matter, I think every division should have an interim champ. It forces top contender status.

- Interim champ in a division = actual #1 contender status (will get next title shot)
- In division without Interim champion, actual #1 contender ranking = nothing

Yeah, it looks stupid, but it indirectly forces some sensibility.

When champions become more active and the UFC can sell their PPVs

Since actual rankings don't matter, I think every division should have an interim champ. It forces top contender status.

- Interim champ in a division = actual #1 contender status (will get next title shot)

cause having the interim belt sure worked out for tony

When it is not profitable to do so -- in the Interim they will continue to hype multiple fake belts to generate higher PPV buys.

They've invented the fractional reserve system of fiat championship belts

They might as well go ahead and start handing out individual belts for the top 10...hell, why stop there? Why not the top 20? Participation medals are killing sports even at the professional levels.

Interim championships are for when a long-time, dominant champion is out for more than 12 months due to a serious injury/condition/illness. They're handing those damn things out like candy and it really cheapens it. It's rarely necessary, and it's certainly not for when the champ won't fight the number 1 contender. ..that's when the belt should just be stripped.

his fault for taking the retarded fight with khabib in the first place. he should have refused to fight until either conor fought him or they stripped conor and made him the official champ

I think its a good idea to keep the interim belts …its when they start making a Money Belt, Catchweight Belt, TV Belt, Specific Country Belt (like US HW Champion or Chinese HW Champion ), and \ or Double Champ Belt is when you should really be concerned

while we are on the topic .. When has the belts been updated ? design, weight ?
have they always weighed 10 pounds of gold ?

EDIT:
UFC belt history can be found here ..

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/u...gold-how-about-the-pride-belts.3247493/page-2

Last edited:

It worked the way it was supposed to.

He got his title shot and slipped on a banana peel.

they are dying

they need to

I completely agree with this.

Belts make fights exciting. Fact.

Remember when Nicco Montaño beat Roxanne Vincenta Modafferi?

(I literally had to google both those names. Who the fuck is Nicco Montano? I kinda remember Roxanne as being a good-natured nerd girl from somewhere.)

Back