When were you ready to fight?

RelentlessT

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi.

I didn't see a forum for MMA specifically, so I am posting this here.

I did a search in the forums already and I didn't find anything answering what I wanted to know. If threads about this already exist, then I apologize.

My situation is that I'm nearly 28 years old and my body has been through the wear and tear of the military. I have quite a few chronic conditions that I deal with.

Reading about the greats, I have come to one conclusion- holy shit they started young, I have some big shoes to fill if I want to be like them. And, to me that means training smarter and harder in a shorter amount of time just to catch up to where they were at my age.

So, I was at the gym today and having some experience in yaw-yan, I figured, no one has said anything so far, so my footing must be right. I have had no formal training regarding correct footing for kicks prior to this. Well, the instructor who was filling in at my MMA gym was telling me that I was doing my kicks wrong and that my foot (supporting leg) should be pointing towards the direction I am kicking for more power.

Prior to this, I felt like I was really starting to get the hang of things, but then I realized that I don't even have the fundamentals down and to be honest it's discouraging and leaves me a bit confused.

I had plans to fight within a full year of training in bjj + muay thai, but now I almost feel overwhelmed as if all my progress has only shown me how little I really know.

I'm a novice and prior to coming to this gym I've had only a few months of training between bjj, yaw-yan, and wrestling.

I want to have my first amateur fight within a year. Am I disillusioned?
If I train SERIOUSLY at least 4-12 times a week am I going to be ready?

TL;DR: I'd like to know how much training you had before entering your first bout and whether or not my goal is reasonable. (Fighting after a year of training)

Thank you

Last edited:
Naw its fine. If you're dedicated and really want to be a competitor its fine. I went 2 years in before starting to compete. When I first started I was a bit of a wuss, sparring scared me, and I tried to avoid it. Things felt very wrong, I liked MMA, and combat sports, and it took a chunk of my time, so how could I say I like it, but don't spar, thoughts like that plagued me. Eventually my ego drove me to compete. There people who were new, after 6 months in, competed and some did well. I felt like "WTF am I doing" and decided to buckle down and compete.

Probably the best decision I did, my only regret was not competing earlier.

its never too late, there are competitors who start in their 30s or even later. I remember at a big Muay Thai tournament, there was the senior's division (masters), and one guy was 67, and it was his first event.

Will you be a top tier national MMA/MT/BJJ champ? Probably not, maybe you will, who knows, but if you commit, really want to compete, and have a good coach to look out for you, you'll be fine. A good coach takes care for their fighters, makes sure they're well equipped for their fights. They also look out for their fighters in the ring as a corner-man, and don't let them get injured or beaten savagely out of pride. With a good coach, Its possible to lose fights, but not be beat up.

For your chronic conditions, you'll have to see about it. Even if its not medical its possible it can deter you from competing. A training partner of mine has a chronic wrist problem, and its held him back from competing.

Anyways, all the best in your journey.

Last edited:
I love training martial arts and getting better. Testing myself in sparring and rolling is great, so I never felt the need to get into a 'real' fight and actually have to hurt someone. However, after 3 years of training I realized some things can't be simulated in sparring, so I applied for a fight.

Opponents canceled, I got injured, 2 years went by. So after 5 years martial arts training, I finally had my first MMA bout. The purpose was just to see if I could fight as good as I could spar in training. Well I could, the guy didn't stand a chance, I learned some lessons and went back to training.

So I can recommend fighting as a tool to get better. If you want to fight for the fight's sake, you might be in for a rough ride.. I feel best results are achieved if you enjoy training and improving first, and fighting second.

I wasn't ready to fight until my opponent punched me in the face.

lol @ DoctorTaco's response. I used to get in a lot of fights growing up, but have only had two barfights as an adult. I mean pain isn't fun, but, I enjoy fighting.

I love training martial arts and getting better. Testing myself in sparring and rolling is great, so I never felt the need to get into a 'real' fight and actually have to hurt someone. However, after 3 years of training I realized some things can't be simulated in sparring, so I applied for a fight.

Opponents canceled, I got injured, 2 years went by. So after 5 years martial arts training, I finally had my first MMA bout. The purpose was just to see if I could fight as good as I could spar in training. Well I could, the guy didn't stand a chance, I learned some lessons and went back to training.

So I can recommend fighting as a tool to get better. If you want to fight for the fight's sake, you might be in for a rough ride.. I feel best results are achieved if you enjoy training and improving first, and fighting second.

I'm in it for the challenge + growth, both intellectually, (learning) and mentally/physically. (sparring and fighting)
I'm a personal trainer, so I don't find much challenge in general physical training as compared to MMA.
You simply aren't pushed past your 'limits' like you would be going against an opponent. (I suppose the threat gives you no choice, but to give everything.)

I've ran a half-marathon, for instance, but it's over distance/time and the intensity is just not the same.

Back