When was the last time Conor had a fight that he SHOULD be winning?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by elcj, Sep 14, 2018 at 5:00 AM.

1. elcj

elcj Blue Belt

What I mean by this is, when was the last time Conor had a fight where most recognised the odds were in Conor's favor and it should be a fight he wins comfortably enough, because he is THE BEST?

The reason I ask this, is because I've noticed (and it seems most haven't), that most of Conor's fights follow the same pattern.
    - Conor is the greatest ever, yet his opponent is mightiest of all and Conor shouldn't be winning the fight

So basically, he goes into every fight as an underdog, taking on a challenge that only someone as great as him could face head on.
    However, almost all of his most notable fights, he actually goes in with some serious advantages over his opponent.

Khabib follows the exact same formula.
    Nate Diaz didn't exactly follow this formula and look how those fights went. Nate freaking Diaz.

This is also why, as things are, you will probably never see Conor face Tony Ferguson or Kevin Lee (and I can almost guarantee he won't fight both during his career). 2 opponents that don't fit his favoured narrative but also don't have the key disadvantages all his other opponents have.

2. Chain Saw

Chain Saw Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

3. jojoRed

jojoRed Brown Belt

Conor seems to be the favourite in terms of odds once the fight starts but he'd usually open as an underdog.

So I fully agree, he usually comes in as the underdog but his huge fanbase move the odds.

Conor is a case of - "The next guy is gonna fuck him up", and that rarely happens.

But he was a strong favourite going into Diaz 1.

The_Buckanater and elcj like this.
  4. RockyLockridge

RockyLockridge Red Belt

Most people expected him to blow through diaz. But they gave him ZERO chance against rda

5. Gilday

Gilday Red Belt

Diaz 1.

No way a supposed GOAT should be losing to a gatekeeper who hasn't evolved in years

6. Rum

Rum Champion of Champions

Nate was on a shitty 2-3 skid in his last 5 fights when he came home from vacation in Cabo to throw down with Conor for the first time.

So probably that one to be fair.

ZOD66, Fthehaters and elcj like this.
  7. elcj

elcj Blue Belt

Yep I agree, Nate Diaz 1 is the only time he strayed from the formula.

I don't think he'll ever do it again. He won't fight someone he doesn't at least has significant size &/or at least reach advantage over and he can't spin them as the greatest challenge a fighter has ever faced.

The_Buckanater likes this.
  8. Chain Saw

Chain Saw Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

He was supposed to beat RDA too.

I had him winning vs RDA.

Its a very tough fight for him, but he was coming off the Aldo KO so his stock was at an all time high.

9. elcj

elcj Blue Belt

Losing out from the RDA fight almost derailed his whole plan.
    RDA fight was classic Conor Method of Operation.

Underdog, going up against the odds vs an absolute beast. When really, Conor had a great reach advantage over him and it's a very winnable fight for Conor.
    A classic Win - Win scenerio that Conor loves.

10. jojoRed

jojoRed Brown Belt

Then why is he fighting Khabib? Riddle me that....

FightGuyOpenMind likes this.
  11. elcj

elcj Blue Belt

I could see him beating RDA too.

The general narrative was/would have been that Conor was the huge underdog though.

12. FightGuyOpenMind

FightGuyOpenMind Orange Belt

Nate Diaz 1

Nate came in as late notice for their first fight to replace Rafael Dos Anjos.

Despite all the rhetoric, and fiery statements I honestly feel that the powers at large making the fight expected Diaz to lose. Diaz was supposed to be an opponent to make Conor look good. But when he stopped Conor………..wow.

Conor gets a rematch in 5 months which goes to the scorecards. 5 months??!! What does Nate get? Their rematch was in 2016, we have yet to see anything pointing to them having another go. Out of the two fights Nate had the more decisive victory via stoppage.

The fact that he got an immediate rematch says to me that they expected Conor to win the first time. It's like when you play a game of pick up basketball, and someone loses and before the ball even stops bouncing from the last play they holler "run it back!" lol. You can't even enjoy the victory that they didn't expect you to have.

Conor is a cash cow, Nate is not. A rematch was a smart money decision, and necessary to maintain his spotlight, and image in the public eye.

Conor v Nate Diaz 1 was a fight Conor was expected to win.

13. flowoftruth

flowoftruth Blue Belt

All except chad were good stylistic matchups for him, guys who come in looking to strike and brawl for the most part. On paper someone giving an educated opinion had to give conor an edge in those fights. This one coming up, however, is quite a different story.

elcj and Mysterio like this.
  14. elcj

elcj Blue Belt

Because he fits the formula perfectly. It's a Win - Win scenario he loves so much.

Khabib is a huge favourite and nobody expects Conor to win.
    If it goes how everyone thinks it will, Conor doesn't really lose image. "Oh Khabib is an unstoppable beast. Conor is so brave and a true warrior for even challenging him. Blah blah blah".

However, Conor also does have a decent enough chance to win.
    He has a significant reach advantage and Khabib is terrible on his feet.

Same as 5 of his last 6 opponents. Only Nate Diaz didn't fit that mold.

15. Sapp

Sapp Red Belt

He was the favorite in every one of his UFC fights.

John makfresshi likes this.
  16. jojoRed

jojoRed Brown Belt

This tells me youre quiet new to the sport. Dustin Poirier was meant to wipe the floor with him, once he faced a good striker with good ground game, Frankie was meant to destroy him, the bean pole didnt even make it to the fight, Aldo was meant to destroy his legs and wide base, Chad was gonna guillotine him in round 1 etc etc.

17. jojoRed

jojoRed Brown Belt

He has 1-2 inch reach advantage (only good strikers can use these 1-2 inches, which Conor is), he's significantly smaller in terms of weight. Khabib walks around 90kg etc.

18. John makfresshi

John makfresshi Wartega Train Conductor! All aboard!!

I dont like conor, for the record. But i am not blind to his skill. I have only picked against him 1 time in his ufc run. Aldo! Now i never doubt him. He is incredible. I think hes toast in 3 weeks but he likes to prove me wrong so we shall see. Im a huge khabib fan, but people who count conor out are dumb as fuck. He always defies the odds! Can he do it again against an undefeated phenom? Time will tell. Hoping for a war, predicting a beat down

jojoRed likes this.
  19. FightGuyOpenMind

FightGuyOpenMind Orange Belt

Khabib has been calling Conor out for two maybe three years now. Nothing has changed, he was undefeated then and he is undefeated now.

I respect Conor for finally fighting him but two years is a long training camp to prepare for the guy. He also had Dillon Danis, who is a black belt under Marcelo Garcia in his corner.

Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if Conor's grappling game has drastically improved. I think he took the fight when he was ready. It's not a bad thing, but call a spade a spade.

Now if he would have looked at Dana, and told him "make the fight happen" against Khabib initially then yeah he would get all the props. lol

elcj and John makfresshi like this.
  20. Fight Professor

Fight Professor Gold Belt