When was the First Interim title Belt Awarded ?

they stripped him off it, and hughes beat gsp for the vacant welterweight championship.
Ah that's right. For some reason I thought Penn/GSP 1 was for an interim because GSP said he would try to "keep dee belt in Nor' Tamerica." That must have been after beating Hughes although I thought I remembered his face being busted up when he said it. My memory is shit. Sucks getting old.

Yea but they were the first ever Interim champ for each weight class. I just forgot that Whittaker was the first and only ever Middleweight Interim champ. It’s been a long day.

Ah ok, gotcha

You mean the #1 contender belt? That is all it is nothing more, just a way to trick fans into buying PPV's

Man Randy won a lot of belts if you look at his record

Yep. Randy the OG two division champ. Now they give them out like candy for Halloween.
Before, champions had honor.
Now they are all looking for money, avoiding top contenders.

Before, it was for the sport.
Now it is ONLY for the money.

I can't fault them much, but I blame the greedy promotion who allowed this to happen and now lost control.

Only started to watch MMA when Gsp became champ.

I remember him refusing to take the interim belt because it wasn't the real one at UFC 79.

Any others before ?

That's the right attitude. Silly consolation prize. I get that it secures your title shot but honestly...interim belts are so lame

That's the right attitude. Silly consolation prize. I get that it secures your title shot but honestly...interim belts are so lame
yep, guys nowadays ask for a fake belt....

smh

Back