When talking about he GOAT, title defenses mean nothing

JoeyJoeJoeJr

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
It would mean something if title shots were consistently based on merit, but theyre not.

Holly Holm gets a free title shot every 2 weeks and guys like fitch tony etc had to go on huge streaks.

Belts mean nothing. Strength of schedule is everything. Dont be fooled by the illusion.

I saw peple claiming Bj was the lightweight goat because of his title defenses. No man, he didnt have to win 9 times before getting a title shot. He might be the LW goat but not because of title defenses.

No consistency on merit makes title defenses sonewhat irrelevant for goat conversations. Agree or disagree?

Well when DC is giving a title shot to a guy who hasn't fought in 2 years when he beat a 42 year old Mark Hunt and still pissed dirty afterwards, yeah sometimes title defenses don't do much for legacy.

I agree.

It’s 100% true.

But in the end, rank of opponent means little as well.
That can be manipulated through matchmaking and a little luck.
After all, Dan Hardy was once #4. Even though he wasn’t even Top 10.

I imagine you're trying to make a case for mcgregor?

Looking at someones resume is enough for me, which usually includes titles because you face then best in line (generally not the case anymore). DC has beaten the best aside from Jones at LHW and just beat Stipe who may be the best HW the UFC has had. MM beat the next in line for a while in his division but the depth is suspect. GSP, Anderson, and DC are at the top right now IMO with Jones surpassing them all if he comes back and looks the same clean. I can't imagine him not taking the HW title like DC did if he chooses to do so which he probably will with the DC/Jones sibling rivalry.

It would mean something if title shots were consistently based on merit, but theyre not.

Holly Holm gets a free title shot every 2 weeks and guys like fitch tony etc had to go on huge streaks.

Belts mean nothing. Strength of schedule is everything. Dont be fooled by the illusion.

I saw peple claiming Bj was the lightweight goat because of his title defenses. No man, he didnt have to win 9 times before getting a title shot. He might be the LW goat but not because of title defenses.

No consistency on merit makes title defenses sonewhat irrelevant for goat conversations. Agree or disagree?

Holly in my opinion does not deserve any title shot...her record sucks ass...she lost like 3 or 4 in a row...she's literally only looked good in one fight. out of every fight in the ufc...not counting ko'ing that down syndrome part time fighter bethe. no more title shots for holly...please...

Penn worked his way up and if he gets handouts its because hes a legend in the sport
In his era there was a different ufc

Goat is subjective, merit doesn't matter. It's like the rankings bullsh*t.

Back