When is the last time you used a payphone?

I got hit in the feels about three months ago when we took the last pay phones out at work.

I'm old but I have never used a payphone in my life. We didn't have a phone at home until I was 12.

I'll tell you about something most people nowadays have never even heard of. When I was a kid I used to go see my grandmother and her phone, which was a rotary phone, was on a party line with 2 of her neighbors. A party line is when all of you share 1 phone line. So if you picked up the phone and heard the neighbor talking you just politely hang up and wait your turn. Basically you could spy on their phone conversations if you wanted to.

Late 90's maybe, I dunno they always used to put them outside of nightclubs so they always smelt like piss & vomit.

Going to find out which sherdoggers are drug dealers.

As for me, 2001 at Laguardia. Flights were cancelled and all of the airport hotels were booked. My nokia was out of battery charge.

"That's a stupid expression, isn't it? "I'm sorry, I can't talk now; I'm on a payphone." What other bloody sort is there?!"

- Victor Meldrew

I'll tell you about something most people nowadays have never even heard of. When I was a kid I used to go see my grandmother and her phone, which was a rotary phone, was on a party line with 2 of her neighbors. A party line is when all of you share 1 phone line. So if you picked up the phone and heard the neighbor talking you just politely hang up and wait your turn. Basically you could spy on their phone conversations if you wanted to.

Our first phone was a party line. There was a particular ring for each party on the line. My grandparents had one of these phones until I was 6.
TelephonePictureFrame-5894eaa53df78caebcf96d76.jpg

One of my relatives lived in a small town. They had phones like the one below only without a dial. They picked the phone up and told the operator who they wanted to call. I think it was like that until 1972.

Don't know but I'm confused by the is in your title.

Our first phone was a party line. There was a particular ring for each party on the line. My grandparents had one of these phones until I was 6.
TelephonePictureFrame-5894eaa53df78caebcf96d76.jpg

One of my relatives lived in a small town. They had phones like the one below only without a dial. They picked the phone up and told the operator who they wanted to call. I think it was like that until 1972.

Haha, cool, got in the way back machine for that phone. You bring up party lines and most people are like, party wut? Can you imagine if you told people of today with all the cell phones that they were going to have to share a line with 3 other people, oh and by the way, only one of you can use the line at a time, and also if someone picks up the line to make a call they can hear your conversation.

Back