When I feel like I am not progressing...

Corso10tx

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been doing BJJ for more than a month now at Rillion Gracie Academy. I am training 3-4 per week at the fundamental group but I feel I am not progressing. Here's why I feel this way...

1) I train at two locations with two different instructors due to the schedule that fits me better.
2) Two instructors have slightly different technique. For eg. Closed guard sweep are different. One prefer to leverage closer to the chest and the other to the belly. I found out that I could sweep better with my knee on to the chest but I always get corrected by instructor and higher rank students who do it at the belly.
3) The fundamental class "syllabus" is not robust enough in my opinion. There are no focus on basic technique such as forward/ back roll. Most students suffer.
4) The techniques that I learn do not seem to help me progress from one lesson to another.

Is this normal for a WHITE BELT to feel this way?

just keep showing up and roll as much as you can, youll figure a lot of shit out on your own just rolling around

maybe not so much at the beginning, but in the future training in more than one place will have more than one set of training partners to roll with, which is very beneficial

You've only been training for a month man. Honestly, you can't really expect a ton of progress at this point. The more you roll, the more you will get better. It takes time.

If you have no point of refrence to where you are going you are not even lost yet my friend. At 12 classes it's like you are going on a cross country road trip and you are just packing the car at 1 month into jiu jitsu. It is very normal. It is also very normal for people in the same position as you just stop going because they get frustrated. Know where you are going and enjoy the journey. It's about to begin.

Hi all, I have been doing BJJ for more than a month now at Rillion Gracie Academy. I am training 3-4 per week at the fundamental group but I feel I am not progressing. Here's why I feel this way...

1) I train at two locations with two different instructors due to the schedule that fits me better.
2) Two instructors have slightly different technique. For eg. Closed guard sweep are different. One prefer to leverage closer to the chest and the other to the belly. I found out that I could sweep better with my knee on to the chest but I always get corrected by instructor and higher rank students who do it at the belly.
3) The fundamental class "syllabus" is not robust enough in my opinion. There are no focus on basic technique such as forward/ back roll. Most students suffer.
4) The techniques that I learn do not seem to help me progress from one lesson to another.

Yes. Train for a year or two at this many times per week and you will get better. Ask your question again then.

Ask the intructor why he says to do it at the belly and he will explain.

Why do you need to be taught how to forward and backward roll? That is stuff you can practice at home or before/after class.

Invest in training books, videos or even just youtube stuff (free) that covers what you learnt in class that day. That way you can be shown a couple more options for whatever technique you were taught.

I like ts post. Keep us post on the improvement.

Yes. It is indeed very normal.

The thing is that it takes a long time to improve. Look at training as just that - training - not a "performance". Measure success in your ability to use the moves you have learned in actual rolling, and to execute them with proper technique. That will pay off a lot more than spazzing and trying to "win" your rolls.

That early in is great, even the smallest revelations can make an impact but you can't expect to feel it right away. Focus on learning and using correct posture in each position and that alone will help immensely

One month in! Just keep showing up is all you need to worry about. Do drills with people outside of class if you want to get good faster.

Back