When grapplers try to be strikers.

dmwalking

Sapateiro Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I'm saddened by Gunnar's loss today. This is a fight he could've easily won by taking it to the ground. But for some reason he played with fire. Didn't even panic wrestle. Smh.

Just came here to vent.

I'm disappointed too , history shows us people should just stick to their roots

I'm disappointed too , history shows us people should just stick to their roots

People should stick to what they're good at. Guys like Frankie Edgar and Chad Mendes have become very good strikers, and GSP became one hell of a wrestler despite starting out in full contact karate. But if you're someone like Demian Maia who has tried and failed to rely on a primary discipline other than your core skill set, by all means, don't bang your head against the wall trying to make it work. Instead, figure out how to take what you need from other disciplines to make your primary discipline Octagon effective.

Gunnar started out as a striker.

So did I. But now I'm a better grappler than striker. Stick to your strengths. Especially when it's an advantage over your opponent.

One word: Hendo

Two words: lost decisions. Two more words, Jonny Hendricks. Hendo could've won more decisions had he stopped looking solely for the KO. Also, Hendricks is another wrestler who fell in love with their KO power and came up short on UFC gold.

History shows it's best to use your advantages.

So did I. But now I'm a better grappler than striker. Stick to your strengths. Especially when it's an advantage over your opponent.

Two words: lost decisions. Two more words, Jonny Hendricks. Hendo could've won more decisions had he stopped looking solely for the KO. Also, Hendricks is another wrestler who fell in love with their KO power and came up short on UFC gold.

Nelson's wrestling is weak, he doesn't have the Damien Maia ability to force it. Additionally he has the classic characteristics of the super athletic talent, that is very good at cool looking things but who's fundamentals and ability to grind through tough fights like Storey will be suspect until he shows otherwise, given that he comes from a similar background and early training situation as BJ Penn, this is not surprising. He needs to address many many issue before worrying about striking vs grappling

how much more money do you reckon hendo is worth because of his exciting fighting style? He lost more, but he earned more.

Spamming takedowns is not the way to do it, you need to make the opponent respect your striking, this is not 90ies mma.

He did the same thing against a very dangerous Tumenov and he got the takedown, Ponzinibbio did great and caught him.

No reason for croc tears.

He got tagged.

Lucky hit and there was no time for him to recoup...Something like 4 seconds from that first hit to final KO.

Shit happens.

Grappling is set up by striking. If anything, he should work on defensive striking rather than fans blaming on not grappling enough. Welcome to 2017.

Andy-Wang.jpeg

Gunnar has knocked people out before with his striking skills. He just got caught... shit happens.

This is strange to me as Hendricks won the title. And his fight with GSP (despite the fact that GSP is my favorite fighter ever) probably should have gone his way.

Johnny's problem is that he fell in love with BBQ and steaks.

This is strange to me as Hendricks won the title. And his fight with GSP (despite the fact that GSP is my favorite fighter ever) probably should have gone his way.

Johnny's problem is that he fell in love with BBQ and steaks.

Is that the Dolce way?

Hendricks_Excuse_Maker.jpg

Is that the Dolce way?

Hendricks_Excuse_Maker.jpg

I almost literally assume Hendricks has a shoebox full of steaks and pulled pork in his closet that Dolce never knew about. Fuck it, not almost literally. I think that literally is the situation.

I almost literally assume Hendricks has a shoebox full of steaks and pulled pork in his closet that Dolce never knew about. Fuck it, not almost literally. I think that literally is the situation.

With the amount of training he does (or did) during training camps, i'm sure that's the case.
During a high-performance training camp, any athlete needs to eat a lot just to stop losing weight.
So my guess is he was eating exactly what Dolce was telling him to, plus whatever he was eating before the training camp times 2 and then some.

With the amount of training he does (or did) during training camps, i'm sure that's the case.
During a high-performance training camp, any athlete needs to eat a lot just to stop losing weight.
So my guess is he was eating exactly what Dolce was telling him to, plus whatever he was eating before the training camp times 2 and then some.

So you think he thought the Dolce diet was just a supplement to his existing diet?

I buy that.

Back