When exactly did UFC jump the shark

Sometime around the boy band era

oqlrm2e.jpg

I still laugh at how fucking dumb this is. Dana wants to be a tough guy so bad.

Doesn't fight when he has something to lose? If he had lost to Aldo, he would have went home without the Featherweight Title. Losing to Alvarez would have meant going home without the Lightweight one. So would losing to Khabib.

Just because he's challenging for a belt instead of defending it doesn't mean he has nothing to lose. If he loses, he's taking a L and going home without the championship around his waist either way.

Lol ok neophyte. Going home without the belt he never had anyway, wow that's really something to lose.

1. You don't speak for Igor.
2. Of course McGregor is getting preferential treatment. When did I suggest otherwise. It's simply that he isn't the only one to receive such preferential treatment. It's the way it works in MMA, because it revolves around individuals rather than teams.
3. So you were against Frankie getting the shot, but that wasn't when the UFC jumped the shark in your eyes. To you, they jumped the shark three years later when the UFC did something almost exactly the same thing, but now it involved McGregor, who you can't stand. But it was OK when they did with Penn/Hughes, because they didn't make much money on it?
4. Not making fighting about TMZ style drama is exactly why I continue to like the UFC. It's everyone who is fussing and stamping their feet who are buying into melodrama. I couldn't care less about McGregor throwing a dolly or Khabib yelling at Artem or any of that. But Khabib vs McGregor is a very intriguing match up. At the end of the day, it's a great fight. And that's what matters to me.

Nah, you don't jump the shark when you give a non draw ex champ from a higher division a title shot. You're making in essence a super fight. Conor got the shot for marketing, based not on merit but on dollars. It's pretty sad you claim to dislike the TMZ style MMA but fail to see the difference. Apologists gonna apologize, Igor agrees.

The Reebok deal really ruined the individuality in the promotion. It has felt a little stale since that point. The roster seems a little saturated as well. There has always been upcoming talent that was fun to watch, but much of it feels like filler. Not every fight is going to be a barnburner, but there are some major snoozers even on main cards at times. That was much more rare years ago and primarily due to poor matchups. Now I'm not so sure that is always the case.

I think it was when Brock Lesnar had his first fight against Mir

What say you

5fe2ebe0-7f7f-11e6-baf9-1fe915594de1_Fonzie-Shark.gif
Matt Lindland will get the next shot at the title...
---> Matt Lindland has been cut by the UFC for a sponsor he had featured on his short.

Then again, we could go Hughes vs Gracie while GSP was clearly the best and cleaned out the division as a contender and Dana even indirectly admitted to pondering trying to script fights, but realizing with Chuck vs Couture that you can't do it.

The beginning of this started long ago. At this point you have fuckheads here who think it's perfectly reasonable to favor fighters based on popularity for pay and title shots. That's in part because it's very old news.

When Ronda Rousey was being hyped as a "once-ever" athlete; a feminist heroine who could beat many of the top MEN. That shark jump led to the purchase by WME, and changed the UFC forever.

You mean Fertitta's
It is still Zuffa. That is what WME bought (ZUFFA LLC)

Remember when everybody wanted them to sell the UFC, because they where not professional enough?
There where shit loads of threads about how UFC should be sold to some one that was able to grow the sport.

The proposed Dana vs Tito fight they were teasing. Couldn't find the promos and training footage on You Tube, they were on Fight Pass though.

Its gotta be this.

Brock, for whatever his history is, was a legit competitor.

Plenty of hackey shit has gone on over the years, but it doesn't count because it still in the game being done by fighters who are fighters.

CM Punk is not a fighter and had no business being there.

Man you guys are whiny bitches.

UFC still puts on good fights.

The James Toney/CM Punk stuff is a bit silly but it's easy to tune out.

Back