When exactly did UFC jump the shark

They jumped the shark when they Ducked the Funky

This. They literally offered him the biggest contract they had ever offered anyone at that point (reportedly 30 mil for 5 fights, although the Fedor fanboys deny it), and Fedor turned it down and took less money to fight elsewhere.

TBF, it was not guaranteed.
It was if he drew big on PPV
but i don't fault UFC for not co-promoting with M1 after Fedors horrible PPV numbers with Affliction.

Around the time of signing Lesnar and the action figure announcement.

This. They literally offered him the biggest contract they had ever offered anyone at that point (reportedly 30 mil for 5 fights, although the Fedor fanboys deny it), and Fedor turned it down and took less money to fight elsewhere.

So Dana just said "Hi Fedor, we're not going to co-promote but here's a contract of 30 million for 5 fights"? One would hope people don't believe idealized stuff like this after all his shady bullshit with contracts and how he treats fighters. Vadim is definitely no saint either.

Aside from co-promotion issues Dana didn't want Fedor competing in anything else, including combat Sambo, and there were issues with ownership of rights. No one was surprised they couldn't come to terms. Money isn't the main thing Fedor is concerned with, he cares a fair bit about growing the sport especially in Russia. Overall there were things that were important to both sides and neither wanted to budge.

0-0 lightweight McGregor getting an unearned title shot vs. Alvarez.

JJ did it for me. I get CM Punk. For the same reason I get Pride. If a few freak show fights mean you are going to get, say, Fedor vs Cropop, fine with me.

I have been bitching about the same things everybody else, but this crossed a line that cannot be crossed. This time Dana shoved his dick in our faces telling us the UFC does whatever the hell it want to do. The UFC doesn't even pretend any more. I do get that too.The UFC realizes it is now so big that no scandal can hurt it. It's not just the UFC, but the whole machine around it that is dependent on it. Media, people who make a living from merchandising and so on. If the UFC goes broke, a lot of people are going to go broke with it.

MMA fans are fussy little bitches. If you like fights, the UFC is as good and bad as it ever was.

0-0 lightweight McGregor getting an unearned title shot vs. Alvarez.
If we're trying to find the "first shark" wouldn't it be 0-0 featherweight Frankie Edgar getting a title shot off of two straight losses? Because that happened several years prior.

What was Couture's record at LHW when he fought Lidell the first time? And wasn't BJ Penn 0-0 at welterweight when he took the title from Hughes?

If you think fighters getting title shots in new divisions after proving themselves in other divisions is killing the UFC, then didn't it die back in 2004?

Shortly after Brock F5'd it.
Brock+lesnar+vs+shark_03a266_5443378.gif

<This7>

MMA fans are fussy little bitches. If you like fights, the UFC is as good and bad as it ever was.

Just got through 15 days of Sumo, and Hockey season starting up.. The positivity you get from those fans (not everyone) only made me realize how talking to Sherdoggers is like being in some sort of teenager rehabilitation center. And all their favourite bands just went main stream.

It is when they started hyping personalities over and above martial artists and individuals over and above whole divisions. It used to be very interesting to see the movements within divisions and the differing styles put above shallow hype.

I think it was when Brock Lesnar had his first fight against Mir

What say you

5fe2ebe0-7f7f-11e6-baf9-1fe915594de1_Fonzie-Shark.gif
It definitely wasn’t Lesnar. It’s hard to say because most of what a lot of people are referring to “jumping the shark” is a natural progression of business. Move, adapt or die. I think the only things that I can think of that would constitute jumping the shark would be the abundance of “interimn” titles or these “champ vs champ” matches.

To be fair jumping the shark and not having good fights don't necessarily mean the same thing but I suppose it depends on how you use the term. I usually take it to mean when a "gimmick" is used to keep something relevant in the mainstream. The fighters themselves are continuing to evolve and are getting better.

If we're trying to find the "first shark" wouldn't it be 0-0 featherweight Frankie Edgar getting a title shot off of two straight losses? Because that happened several years prior.

What was Couture's record at LHW when he fought Lidell the first time? And wasn't BJ Penn 0-0 at welterweight when he took the title from Hughes?

If you think fighters getting title shots in new divisions after proving themselves in other divisions is killing the UFC, then didn't it die back in 2004?

You mean Edgar, who held the belt at 155 as a guy who cut little to no weight, lost two very close decisions then a series of injuries and rescheduled fights put him in at a lower weight class?

You mean Couture, the former HW champ, all 220 lbs of him, dropping down to fight for the INTERIM belt?

And you're talking about BJ and Matt, 200 numbered events ago, when the LW division was about to be abolished due to lack of fighters? The same BJ who had the balls to fight Machida at HW?

Inga I used to respect you. Dana saw the weakest champ of the modern era in Alvarez, tailor made for his cash cow/mancrush Conor, and gave him an unearned title shot. When did you become a McMark?

ufc 1 as real as it gets no rules, head butts and groin strikes allowed, two men enter one man leaves the cage mentality. i mean the entire fucking thing is marketed as a freak show and it hasn't been until recently that they've tried to sell it as a legitimate sport

Back