When did Max Holloway suddenly become the best fighter on the planet?

Ok TS, your logic is a bit crummy.

When Hollloway lost against Poirier/Conor he was 20-21 years old. Conor got smashed by Joe Duffy when he was 22. Conor still gets humiliated against Duffy today, right?

He got destroyed by Poirier, who got destroyed by Conor.

Conor destroyed Holloway as well.

I just can't see him as the best featherweight. Sorry.

Out of curiosity, do you know what year it is?

he's tough, young, and he's got size over his opponents.

Conor had 50% more fights than Max at that time. And he certainly didn't destroy him.

I'm going to spit pure, cold, hard true facts in this post.

The facts I'm about to say will INFURIATE some of you. I dont give a fuck you virgin nerd. Facts are facts.

Max Holloway IS the best current FW in the world!

But.....that's only because Conor is letting him be. If Conor had the incentive he could easily, yes easily, cut down to 145 again and take that belt away from Max easier than taking a light jog.

Maz is riding an insane hypetrain right now because he beat Aldo in two slugfests. Meanwhile Conor beat Aldo so fast people missed it when they went to get another beer.

Look what Pehead did to Max.....Look what Conor did to Peahead.

And then we always have the head to head fight between Conor and Max...

Inb4 OMG MAX WAS ONLY 9 YEARS OLD YOU FUCKING CONER NUTHUGGER!!Q!11!

"Inb4" is usually followed by a legit retort that you can't refute, so you say it first in a funny way.

Conor had 50% more fights than Max at the time. That matters a shit ton in the early part of a career.

Poirer beat him in 2012..... Conor beat him in 2013.... it’s 2018 buddy.
Both were older and more experienced at the time.
You must believe that Conor can’t be be very good either,given who he lost to back when he was fighting in Europe right? Otherwise talking about Holloway’s losses from 5 and 6 years ago would make no sense.

Ok TS, your logic is a bit crummy.

When Hollloway lost against Poirier/Conor he was 20-21 years old. Conor got smashed by Joe Duffy when he was 22. Conor still gets humiliated against Duffy today, right?
Yeah, I don’t get how the Conor fanboys don’t see this hole in their logic whenever they bring up who Holloway lost to when he wasn’t even old enough to buy a beer lol

Im more impressed by Brian Ortega than I am with Max to be honest. Never seen an mma fighter develoupe elite striking in just one year. So many mma fighters needs 5+ years to even get close to Tcitys level of striking imo. And he has that super high level jits which is hes bread and butter. Ill get on the Max train if he finishes Ortega. If Max wins by close decision Ortega is still my favourite Flyweight.
I like Ortega, but he doesn't have close to elite striking and I amazed anyone thinks he does...

Holloway mans up and fights ….defends his title and doesn't duck anyone!!!

He would maul the little Leprechaun at this point, lucky charms is so lucky he fought Max when he was still developing as a fighter!!

Real champions fight all comers no questions asked

So because he lost when he was still green, his current resume and winning streak doesn't meet the requirements to be considered one of the best because he lost in the beginning of his MMA Career?

<bball1><bball1><bball1><bball1><bball1>

That logic makes no sense, TJ Dillishaw got KO'ed by John Dodson and is now a 2x Bantamweight Champion.

Max lost to Dustin and Conor and is now the Featherweight Champion with two back to back wins over the Greatest Featherweight in the past decade in Jose Aldo.

Dustin Poirier is good, but you'd think since he beat Max Holloway at such a young age that he'd be doing better than Max right? WRONG, I haven't seen Dustin touch gold not once.

If and when Holloway runs through Ortega you'll have no choice but to accept Holloway as one of the Greatest to ever do it in the 145 pound division.

Thats nice

What level of striking are you talking about?He gets outstruck almost every fight.

Thats the beauty, he accumulates info while being good defencive. When he has enough info he starts to take over the striking battle. The numbers dont tell the story of a fight if ur refering to he getting outstruck in terms of copybox nr? Getting hit with a strike in the face that u roll perfectly with gets counted as a sig strike while in reality it dose nothing. Im talking about the level of striking he displayed against Frankie. Im not saying he will dominate Holloway but if he can strike with Max for 4+ rds hes elite imo.

I like Ortega, but he doesn't have close to elite striking and I amazed anyone thinks he does...
When I say elite Im talking about mma elite, not striking in general. Who do you think have elite striking in the UFC?

When I say elite Im talking about mma elite, not striking in general. Who do you think have elite striking in the UFC?
He doesn't have close to elite striking in MMA either, i'm not even sure he'd me in the top 20% of UFC strikers.

Some examples of elite MMA strikers for me are.

Conor
Anderson
TJ
DJ
Thomson
MVP
Pettis
Aldo
Jones
Barboza
Holloway
Adesanya

And there will be plenty more, but Ortega hasn't shown anything close to elite striking, although he is definitely improving quickly.

He doesn't have close to elite striking in MMA either, i'm not even sure he'd me in the top 20% of UFC strikers.

Some examples of elite MMA strikers for me are.

Conor
Anderson
TJ
DJ
Thomson
MVP
Pettis
Aldo
Jones
Barboza
Holloway
Adesanya

And there will be plenty more, but Ortega hasn't shown anything close to elite striking, although he is definitely improving quickly.

Whats interesting about Ortega is that I think he just became elite.. Im not basing my oppinion on hes previous 2,3,4 fights, Im basing it on what I saw in hes last fight. Hes movements, hes distance managment, hes way of gathering info on the fly and adapting, hes way of staying cool and relaxed. and so on.
So you think Ortega would get beat up in a striking match against Aldo? or Pettis? I actually dont. Pettis can only fight effective inside the kicking distance, hes strikes are loopy and slow and lacks dynamic Power. It looks like he has one way of throwing a hook, one way of thorowing a left and so on. Pettis imo is an example of a fighter that stopped to improve and that the game passed him by. Sure he has elite single strike techniques, but that dosnt mean that hes elite in terms of of putting Things together and fighting in a dynamic way. As for Aldo, he strikes With a 100 percent ang gets sloppy as the fight goes on. In hes reign hes opponents got even more tired than him so he got away With sloppy loppy strikes as the fight went on. Are u an elite fighter when a dude can predict youre pattern, telling it to the world and then finish u With a counter to that exact pattern of attack in 13 secs? I dont know.... Ive also heard that Aldo after hes 2nd Max loss is Learning how to put together dynamic combinations rather than 100% pre rehersed combos.. I think there was a Clip out there where a boxing Coach corrected hes way of going full blast and Learning him to preserve energy and be effiecient.
How well do Ortega have to fair against Max to be regarded as an elite fighter in youre oppinion?

Whats interesting about Ortega is that I think he just became elite.. Im not basing my oppinion on hes previous 2,3,4 fights, Im basing it on what I saw in hes last fight. Hes movements, hes distance managment, hes way of gathering info on the fly and adapting, hes way of staying cool and relaxed. and so on.
So you think Ortega would get beat up in a striking match against Aldo? or Pettis? I actually dont. Pettis can only fight effective inside the kicking distance, hes strikes are loopy and slow and lacks dynamic Power. It looks like he has one way of throwing a hook, one way of thorowing a left and so on. Pettis imo is an example of a fighter that stopped to improve and that the game passed him by. Sure he has elite single strike techniques, but that dosnt mean that hes elite in terms of of putting Things together and fighting in a dynamic way. As for Aldo, he strikes With a 100 percent ang gets sloppy as the fight goes on. In hes reign hes opponents got even more tired than him so he got away With sloppy loppy strikes as the fight went on. Are u an elite fighter when a dude can predict youre pattern, telling it to the world and then finish u With a counter to that exact pattern of attack in 13 secs? I dont know.... Ive also heard that Aldo after hes 2nd Max loss is Learning how to put together dynamic combinations rather than 100% pre rehersed combos.. I think there was a Clip out there where a boxing Coach corrected hes way of going full blast and Learning him to preserve energy and be effiecient.
How well do Ortega have to fair against Max to be regarded as an elite fighter in youre oppinion?
His performance against Edgar was excellent, I just think i'd need to see more of that before I could truly call him an elite striker, I think his size played a big part in that victory.

As for winning a striking match against Aldo and Pettis, no I wouldn't pick Ortega in that situation, I would pick him in a standard MMA fight though and I do regard him as an elite fighter overall.

It would not surprise me at all if a Ortega beats Max, but it would surprise if he got the job done striking.

I've been reading all kinds of media headlines describing him as an unbeatable force of death, and ignored it because I remember him getting bullied hard by people like Poirier and McGregor

But then I watched this video by the UFC and I'm just like wait, are they serious right now?

(starts at 23:59).

Like where in the world does this even come from? I don't think any serious MMA fan thinks Max Holloway is the best 145 pounder on the planet, and he's gotten punked by a lot of guys.

Dustin was too much when he was green in ufc. Conor vs Max was competitive. Conor was better, and has been the best fighter 145 has ever seen. Max is the best current fighter at 145. You’d answer your own question if you stopped reading headlines and start watching fights

Back