When boxers try MMA..

But even then we don't need to argue this because we already know that in mma multiple tactics or effective. A brawler like Chuck Liddel was able to use defensive wrestling to knock out many grapplers. The effectivness of boxing wouldn't make grappling ineffective just that boxing does have some effectivness.

This should probably read, "A D1 wrestler like Chuck Liddell was able to use defensive wrestling to knock out many grapplers."

The fact that Chuck had ~10 years of wrestling experience and was very good at it is really important to him being able to use defensive wrestling to keep fights standing, especially considering McGeezle's point is that you have to know how to grapple in order to keep fights standing.

Apparently you did not see Browne's fight this weekend?

wm83kR.gif

...but Dillian Whyte was also a pro MMA fighter before he became a pro boxer, so this proves nothing.

No one from boxing comes in and goes "Boxing is far better than MMA" it's usually insecure MMA nut riders who go "MMA IS BETTER THAN BOXING LEL BOXIN R GAY"

I love when people try to use the Mercer KO as proof of anything, like boxing being better than grappling because someone got knocked out who wasn't trying to grapple
At that time Mercer was a long retired old fat man and Tim Sylvia was a very recent near prime world champion..
It was originally supposed to be a boxing only rules match and it got changed to a full rules MMA match just hours before the fight. And Tim Sylvia started breaking the gentleman's agreement with kicks -- how do you know he wouldn't have gone for takedowns after 10 seconds into the fight when the KO happened?

Imagine Big Nog gaining 100 lbs and deciding to try boxing 15 years from now, and he beats a recent near prime world boxing champion from an MMA match turned to boxing only rules just hours before the fight..

You have to be kidding, jesus. The Floyd that turned up against Conor barely resembled the old Floyd, just plodded around like a Mexican journeyman. Part of that was by design, to make it seem like more of a fight than it was, but still, the point is no one in boxing would favour this 41 year old Floyd over the elite junior middles.

And lol at a win for MMA, no it was definitely a win for boxing. You'd have to be a McNuthugger of the highest order to think that was a "win" for Conor or MMA. The #1 striker in MMA got walked down and beaten up by a retired 40 year old, 20 pounds lighter, without even breaking a sweat. Floyd was barely trying, and was still far too much for Conor. Don't forget half of sherdog seemed to think the "170 pound Irish gorilla" would be just too powerful for little Floyd, and like Rogan said "He only needs to touch him with the left!" <Lmaoo>

Turns out in the boxing world, he hits like Paulie.

UepSTfZ.gif

KlutzyLegalEmperorshrimp-small.gif

aosECR9.gif

003_Floyd_Mayweather_vs_Conor_McGregor.0.jpg

xbu4k9l8yeq63wvzg.jpg

emfq0myyc76djnwzg.jpg

It doesn't matter that Floyd is old and small for the weight class, he's still the best in the world at that weight class and couldn't drop a guy with zero experience.

Imagine if Anthony Joshua took Stipe to a decision in MMA, losing 4 rounds out of 5.
Nobody would be saying "this made boxing look bad, Joshua is much younger and much bigger".
People would be amazed that he survived so long.

Tim Sylvia had an agreement to keep the fight standing, and was also just a fat blob by that point anyways, and don't forget how Ray Mercer lost to Kimbo fucking Slice...

Truth is we've never seen an elite (primarily) boxer go from being dominant in their sport straight into the ufc (and against elite, young, atheltic, competition). We have however seen Conor Mcgregor go into boxing, and honestly not do too bad all things considered.

At that time Mercer was a long retired old fat man and Tim Sylvia was a very recent near prime world champion..
It was originally supposed to be a boxing only rules match and it got changed to a full rules MMA match just hours before the fight. And Tim Sylvia started breaking the gentleman's agreement with kicks -- how do you know he wouldn't have gone for takedowns after 10 seconds into the fight when the KO happened?

Imagine Big Nog gaining 100 lbs and deciding to try boxing 15 years from now, and he beats a recent near prime world boxing champion from an MMA match turned to boxing only rules just hours before the fight..
He got knocked out trying to strike. He might've gone for takedowns afterwards. That's not what I said.
Your analogy is stupid because in boxing you are forced to fight to their strengths.
But if you are still clinging onto an idea that boxing could be better than MMA and people just train grappling for nothing when they could just box the whole time and (somehow) stop takedowns that way, then I won't bother

He got knocked out trying to strike. He might've gone for takedowns afterwards. That's not what I said.
Your analogy is stupid because in boxing you are forced to fight to their strengths.
But if you are still clinging onto an idea that boxing could be better than MMA and people just train grappling for nothing when they could just box the whole time and (somehow) stop takedowns that way, then I won't bother
It was supposed to be a boxing match and he'd already thrown kicks <45> A retired extremely old fat boxer legitimately beat a near prime MMA world champion in MMA on a few hours notice.

You guys don't wanna face it. Boxers would do very very very well in MMA. In the HW divisoin especially, top guys like Anthony Joshua could win the UFC HW championship title within a few years by just jumping in with no training and training on the fly. Just like Brock Lesnar did, but even more dominant.

I mean, come on. Guys with regional level boxing skills like Conor McGregor and Stipe make these MMA guys look like morons. I say this as a hardcore MMA fan that doesn't give a fuck about boxing. I'm just being real. Imagine a real boxer in there. He'd be so ownage.

We think striking sucks compared to grappling but we're wrong. It's the other way around. The difference is that we've had world class grappling go against bullshit levels of striking. We thought we'd seen world class striking with worldclass kickboxers. Wrong. Kick boxing is bullshit. Boxing is the world class level of striking and we haven't seen its highest levels compete against grappling yet. Just its regional levels are looking so dominant right now.

It was supposed to be a boxing match and he'd already thrown kicks <45> A retired extremely old fat boxer legitimately beat a near prime MMA world champion in MMA on a few hours notice.

You guys don't wanna face it. Boxers would do very very very well in MMA. In the HW divisoin especially, top guys like Anthony Joshua could win the UFC HW championship title within a few years by just jumping in with no training and training on the fly. Just like Brock Lesnar did, but even more dominant.

I mean, come on. Guys with regional level boxing skills like Conor McGregor and Stipe make these MMA guys look like morons. I say this as a hardcore MMA fan that doesn't give a fuck about boxing. I'm just being real. Imagine a real boxer in there. He'd be so ownage.

We think striking sucks compared to grappling but we're wrong. It's the other way around. The difference is that we've had world class grappling go against bullshit levels of striking. We thought we'd seen world class striking with worldclass kickboxers. Wrong. Kick boxing is bullshit. Boxing is the world class level of striking and we haven't seen its highest levels compete against grappling yet. Its regional levels are looking so dominant right now.
BECAUSE TIM TRIED TO STAND WITH HIM. How many times do you need to read something before it goes in? The guy got subbed by Kimbo for fuck's sake.
"Guys with regional level boxing skills" are called MMA fighters. And Brock Lesnar used his wrestling background, not a fucking boxing background. What do you mean I don't wanna face it? I'm stating obvious facts based on decades worth of evidence. If you were right then grappling would have been weeded out with all the bullshido arts

BECAUSE TIM TRIED TO STAND WITH HIM. How many times do you need to read something before it goes in? The guy got subbed by Kimbo for fuck's sake.
"Guys with regional level boxing skills" are called MMA fighters. And Brock Lesnar used his wrestling background, not a fucking boxing background. What do you mean I don't wanna face it? I'm stating obvious facts based on decades worth of evidence. If you were right then grappling would have been weeded out with all the bullshido arts
Tim broke the gentlemans agreement. It was a boxing match that got turned into an MMA match hours before the fight, and Tim threw kicks. He would have for sure gone for takedowns. He just got KOd in 10 seconds before he could break the gentlemans agreement even more.

James Toney got paid 500k for doing nothing. Pretty sure he got the last laugh.

Tim broke the gentlemans agreement. It was a boxing match that got turned into an MMA match hours before the fight, and Tim threw kicks. He would have for sure gone for takedowns. He just got KOd in 10 seconds before he could break the gentlemans agreement even more.
My god. I know he WOULD HAVE went for takedowns. But he got knocked out trying to stand with him. But you're right, boxing > MMA. Grappling is fake

My god. I know he WOULD HAVE went for takedowns. But he got knocked out trying to stand with him. But you're right, boxing > MMA. Grappling is fake
But he didn't get knocked out trying to box, as was the agreement, right? He got knocked out breaking the agreement and trying to MMA with him and just hadn't gotten around to the takedowns 10 seconds into the fight.

It doesn't matter that Floyd is old and small for the weight class, he's still the best in the world at that weight class and couldn't drop a guy with zero experience.

Imagine if Anthony Joshua took Stipe to a decision in MMA, losing 4 rounds out of 5.
Nobody would be saying "this made boxing look bad, Joshua is much younger and much bigger".
People would be amazed that he survived so long.

Honestly, no true boxing fans would give Floyd a realistic chance at someone like Charlo these days, or even Lara. Neither would bookies.

I don't mean this in a facetious but do you actually watch boxing? Have you followed Floyd's career?

Floyd is one of my favourite fighters, an amazing fighter from 130 to 147, but I think you're the first person I've seen to even suggest he's proved to be the best Jr Middle in the world, let alone the 40 year old version being the best Jr Middle in the world.

You realise he's only had 2 fights at 154 right? Both against past prime fighters he was favoured to beat clearly.

And do you realise how warped your analogy is? For starters, Pillowfists McGregory did not take Floyd to a decision, he got stopped, after being beaten from pillar to post by a guy half the people on this forum thought would need to "dance to a decision" to beat the 170 pound Irish gorilla with the most powerful left cross in the universe.

Second, Stipe? Really? Stipe is the best heavyweight in the world, and in his prime, and the same weight class as Joshua. Floyd is a guy who who started his career at 130 and walks around at least 25 pounds lighter than Conor.

A better analogy would be Golovkin or Alvarez fighting Faber, a retired fighter pushing 40, and Faber outstriking either of them and stopping them, in which case I think that would make boxing look pretty fucking bad tbh, yeah.

Let's not forget, Conor is not a wrestler, he's a striker, and one that uses his hands 90% of the time. He was made to look like a clueless amateur by a small, 40 year old fighter who was barely trying, just plodding forward, smirking, and landing lead rights.

To be fair though, didn't Mercer and Silva have a gentlemen's agreement to stand and bang? And not going to the ground? Because they were supposed to have either a Boxing or Kickboxing match that didn't pan out, so they went the MMA route, but Mercer said that he should honor the original agreement to either Box only or KB only.

If it was Boxing only, then that totally explained why Silva got starched.....did he even kicked at all? I don't claim to know the for sure, just glanced over this somewhere.

But he didn't get knocked out trying to box, as was the agreement, right? He got knocked out breaking the agreement and trying to MMA with him and just hadn't gotten around to the takedowns 10 seconds into the fight.
What the hell is 'trying to MMA'? You can't 'MMA' all at once. Do you know what MMA stands for?

Honestly, no true boxing fans would give Floyd a realistic chance at someone like Charlo these days, or even Lara. Neither would bookies.

I don't mean this in a facetious but do you actually watch boxing? Have you followed Floyd's career?

Floyd is one of my favourite fighters, an amazing fighter from 130 to 147, but I think you're the first person I've seen to even suggest he's proved to be the best Jr Middle in the world, let alone the 40 year old version being the best Jr Middle in the world.

You realise he's only had 2 fights at 154 right? Both against past prime fighters he was favoured to beat clearly.

And do you realise how warped your analogy is? For starters, Pillowfists McGregory did not take Floyd to a decision, he got stopped, after being beaten from pillar to post by a guy half the people on this forum thought would need to "dance to a decision" to beat the 170 pound Irish gorilla with the most powerful left cross in the universe.

Second, Stipe? Really? Stipe is the best heavyweight in the world, and in his prime, and the same weight class as Joshua. Floyd is a guy who who started his career at 130 and walks around at least 25 pounds lighter than Conor.

A better analogy would be Golovkin or Alvarez fighting Faber, a retired fighter pushing 40, and Faber outstriking either of them and stopping them, in which case I think that would make boxing look pretty fucking bad tbh, yeah.

Let's not forget, Conor is not a wrestler, he's a striker, and one that uses his hands 90% of the time. He was made to look like a clueless amateur by a small, 40 year old fighter who was barely trying, just plodding forward, smirking, and landing lead rights.

I'm from a boxing family and I'm even named after a boxer. I've been a boxing fan for over 20 years. The first event I went to was Lewis vs Botha in 2000 and last event I went to was Joshua vs Wlad in 2017, but I've been to plenty others in between. I was born and raised in Greater Manchester - the same county as Ricky Hatton, Tyson Fury and Amir Khan.

I've never been to an MMA event, but the first MMA broadcast I remember "marking my calendar" for was a stream of Fedor vs Werdum in 2010.

• Floyd was the last lineal 154 champion and the last Ring 154 champion. 4 of his 5 biggest fights were at 154.
  • Floyd looked as good as he's ever looked against Berto and Pacquiao.
  • Floyd "retired" after the Berto fight as the consensus p4p number 1 and consensus best fighter of his generation.
  • Floyd would absolutely be the favourite against Lara/Charlo/Hurd today, or at least he would've been on 26 Aug 2017.
  • For the McGregor fight, Floyd's physique looked great on the scale and in the ring.
  • McGregor's game heavily relies on leg kicks and teeps and his game isn't designed for 12 rounds of boxing in big gloves.
  • Going into the fight, I didn't think Conor would win a single round. He won several.
  • Floyd took the early rounds off to figure McGregor out and make him gas, it wasn't to make it exciting for fans. Floyd wasn't deliberately getting tagged to keep us on our toes or to "feel-out McGregor's power".

Last edited:
There are many boxing techniques and styles that translate well into mma.

Back