When boxers try MMA..

There are former professional boxers that transitioned into mma and actually found success. It is a bit surprising that they aren't brought up in discussions like this.

Eric "Butterbean" Esch had a professional boxing record of 77 wins (58 Ko's) 10 losses and 4 draws. His mma record was 17-10-1.

Jeremy "Half-Man, Half-Amazing" Williams had a pro boxing record of 43-5-1. His mma record was 5-0.

Raphael " The Silencer" Butler had a pro boxing record of 35-12-2. His mma record was 9-2-1.

Marcus Davis had a pro boxing record of 17-1-2. His mma record was 22-11-1.

Miirko Cro Cop had an amateur boxing record of 48-8. His mma record is 36-11-2.

Cody Gardbrandt had an amateur boxing record of 32-0. His mma record is 12-1.

Alessio Sakara had a professional boxing record of 8-1. His mma record is 19-12-2.

Fabio Maldonaldo had a professional boxing record of 25-0. His mma record is 24-11-1.

Chris Lytle had a pro boxing record of 13-1-1. His mma record was 31-18-5.

Holly Holm had a pro boxing record of 33-2-3. Her mma record is 11-4.

KJ Noons had a pro boxing record of 11-2. His mma record was 13-9-1.

Joseph Duffy had a pro boxing record of 7-0. His mma record is 17-3.

Damn didn't know all that. Crazy about Cro Cop having nearly 60 boxing fights wtf lol

trt randy vs old/fat/irrelevant for years toney
<puh-lease75>

When MMAers do boxing
1510095960439.jpg

Fuck boxing, limited sport is limited

Damn didn't know all that. Crazy about Cro Cop having nearly 60 boxing fights wtf lol

I was a bit surprised myself. I decided to do a bit of research and found it interesting that there were actually a number of successful mma fighters that had a professional or amateur boxing background.

I didn't know that about Cro Cop either but I guess it makes sense because his boxing is technically better than a lot of kickboxers. I wonder if it made his kicks more effective. That boxing experience probably helped with timing and even distracting his opponents. I would have to look through his fights but maybe he had his opponents worried about his boxing and when they focused on that it left them wide open for his head kicks.

When MMAers do boxing
1510095960439.jpg

Fuck boxing, limited sport is limited

Boxing is awesome. There are a ton of subtleties to it that can be difficult to appreciate and they produce epic knockouts that are often more devastating than the ones we see in mma.

By your logic you should also say fuck bjj, wrestling muay thai, karate, kickboxing and every other martial art as well. From the frame of mma as the measure of evaluation every other style is limited. Boxing is limited like all other styles but it is great to see boxers in mma. It is part of the sport evolution to incorporate the best of all styles. Boxing is one of the styles that mma fighters have borrowed the least from. But interestingly the best mma fighters for the most part are all starting to incorporate more boxing techniques and getting a lot of success.

Boxing is awesome. There are a ton of subtleties to it that can be difficult to appreciate and they produce epic knockouts that are often more devastating than the ones we see in mma.

By your logic you should also say fuck bjj, wrestling muay thai, karate, kickboxing and every other martial art as well. From the frame of mma as the measure of evaluation every other style is limited. Boxing is limited like all other styles but it is great to see boxers in mma. It is part of the sport evolution to incorporate the best of all styles. Boxing is one of the styles that mma fighters have borrowed the least from. But interestingly the best mma fighters for the most part are all starting to incorporate more boxing techniques and getting a lot of success.
In case you can’t tell, I was being sarcastic

Alexander Gustaffson also came from an amateur boxing background. Stipe Miocic was apparently a golden gloves boxing champion.

Top mma prospect Aaron Pico also comes from an amateur boxing background.

Sergei Kharitonov has an amateur boxing background and tried out for the Russian Olympic team early in his career.

Antonio Rogerio Noguera was an accomplished amateur boxer and won multiple amateur boxing championships.

Aside from those many notable mma fighters train regularly with boxing coaches or high end boxers. Freddie Roach has trained GSP, Anderson Silva, Shogun, and Gegard Mousasi. King Mo spars at Mayweather boxing gym and spent time with James Toney. TJ Dilishaw has sparred and done some training with Lomachenko. The Diaz brothers work with Andre Ward. Cub Swanson trains with Timothy Bradley. Mark Hunt apparently sparred with David Tua back in the day.

Diaz says it best. MMA fighters should know how to box and respect it as a training style.

You can also see here where a professional mma fighter who tried out for the ultimate fighter was outboxed by a 15 year old. Being competent at boxing is a good thing and actually helps mma fighters.

In case you can’t tell, I was being sarcastic

My bad. It can be difficult to tell on Sherdog because some people legitimately think boxing is garbage and completely ineffective in mma.

I love when people try to use the Mercer KO as proof of anything, like boxing being better than grappling because someone got knocked out who wasn't trying to grapple

I am confused by your post.

Boxer > Grappler on the feet
Grappler > Boxer on the ground

If you are comparing boxing to grappling and attempting to understand which is more effective then you would want to run 100's or 100's of trials. Take a series of pure boxers and take a series of pure grapplers and have them fight each other. If you did that you would find many examples of a boxer knocking out the grappler and many examples of a grappler submitting a boxer. With enough trials you would be able to get a reasonable probability of the success rate of each style.

Part of what makes mma interesting is that it has demonstrated that no individual style is perfect or the best. On average a fighter that has some competency in both boxing and grappling tends to beat a pure boxer or grappler. There aren't many examples of this so it is more of a theoretical argument but it is at least logical.

My bad. It can be difficult to tell on Sherdog because some people legitimately think boxing is garbage and completely ineffective in mma.
Is cool bro, boxing like MMA is awesome and the lack of it on free to air tv is damn shame.

Is cool bro, boxing like MMA is awesome and the lack of it on free to air tv is damn shame.

I don't know what it is like in the UK but I have been noticing that there are a lot more notable boxing events being aired for free on TV here in Canada lately. The most recent fights by Deontay Wilder, Danny Garcia, Srisaket Sor Rungvisai, Miguel Cotto, Mikey Garcia and Vasly Lomachenko have all be on sports channels. These were all title fights and they were great. They were actually better then a lot of UFC pay per views. It makes me wonder if the UFC will dish the PPV model or offer better fight cards.

I don't know what it is like in the UK but I have been noticing that there are a lot more notable boxing events being aired for free on TV here in Canada lately. The most recent fights by Deontay Wilder, Danny Garcia, Srisaket Sor Rungvisai, Miguel Cotto, Mikey Garcia and Vasly Lomachenko have all be on sports channels. These were all title fights and they were great. They were actually better then a lot of UFC pay per views. It makes me wonder if the UFC will dish the PPV model or offer better fight cards.
We don’t get names like that for free here to my knowledge, I’m a little bit jelly

Remember when Arlovski was training with Roach to be a professional boxer.... Dude might have the best loss to knockout loss ratio in history....

I am confused by your post.

Boxer > Grappler on the feet
Grappler > Boxer on the ground

If you are comparing boxing to grappling and attempting to understand which is more effective then you would want to run 100's or 100's of trials. Take a series of pure boxers and take a series of pure grapplers and have them fight each other. If you did that you would find many examples of a boxer knocking out the grappler and many examples of a grappler submitting a boxer. With enough trials you would be able to get a reasonable probability of the success rate of each style.

Part of what makes mma interesting is that it has demonstrated that no individual style is perfect or the best. On average a fighter that has some competency in both boxing and grappling tends to beat a pure boxer or grappler. There aren't many examples of this so it is more of a theoretical argument but it is at least logical.
Well there have been plenty of examples of pure boxers/kickboxers getting owned by anyone with any grappling skill. Ray Mercer knocked someone out who didn't try to take him down, which proves nothing. It's common knowledge by now that pure grappling > pure striking. It's not subjective

Back