When boxers try MMA..

ironball

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

James Toney gets merked by Randy Couture
Ray Mercer KTFOs Tim Sylvia
lol

Toney was paid to take a dive to restore mma’s dignity after what Mercer did to Tim.

I love how Randy goes for that ankle pick. lol.

Pictured: Tim Sylvia after fighting Ray Mercer, thinking "Why the fuck didn't I go for the TD"

tim-sylvia-in-a-wheelchair.jpg

Tim violated the "gentleman's agreement" about not kicking in the first few seconds of the fight.

Mercer took the kick, angled his head like "what the fuck" and uncorked that monster punch.

Lol that Toney vs Couture fight, they both laughed all the way to the bank. Quick payday for both.

I love how Randy goes for that ankle pick. lol.

I don't remember it perfectly but iirc it was more of like a low John Smith single (not really but in ways) than an ankle pick.I do the same thing if i'm grapping or fighting with a much larger person if I don't like them,but instead of coming up with a single I pull the foot toward me holding the Achilles while driving forward pushing just under the knee with my shoulder and keeping my forearm running along side the foot so they can't spin.Being that off balance makes it almost impossible for them to attempt a strike it's pretty much full defense mode at that point.It's so nasty on the knee hence why I said I only do it if I really dislike someone,I have fucked some people up with that td and I pretty much always land it.Anywho I remember thinking the Couture td was very similar to that td.

Pictured: Tim Sylvia after fighting Ray Mercer, thinking "Why the fuck didn't I go for the TD"

tim-sylvia-in-a-wheelchair.jpg

Gentlemen's agreement to stand and strike iirc.Can't remember if that was fact or what.

Gentlemen's agreement to stand and strike iirc.Can't remember if that was fact or what.

Heard about that. I remember the fight looking bizarre cause Sylvia was so big and it looked like they used a smaller cage lol

Tim violated the "gentleman's agreement" about not kicking in the first few seconds of the fight.

Mercer took the kick, angled his head like "what the fuck" and uncorked that monster punch.
My fav part is ray shooting for the takedown after he drops him.

I love when people try to use the Mercer KO as proof of anything, like boxing being better than grappling because someone got knocked out who wasn't trying to grapple

Steve Jennum beat Melton Bowen, a fairly high level boxers.

Mayorga lost every fight including Level, a backyard fighter from Dawg Fight.

Botha was a boxing HW contender and got walked through by Sexyama when he was still just a judoka.

You can see when Sylvia throws a kick, Mercer looks at him like, "That wasn't the agreement, Tim."

There are former professional boxers that transitioned into mma and actually found success. It is a bit surprising that they aren't brought up in discussions like this.

Eric "Butterbean" Esch had a professional boxing record of 77 wins (58 Ko's) 10 losses and 4 draws. His mma record was 17-10-1.

Jeremy "Half-Man, Half-Amazing" Williams had a pro boxing record of 43-5-1. His mma record was 5-0.

Raphael " The Silencer" Butler had a pro boxing record of 35-12-2. His mma record was 9-2-1.

Marcus Davis had a pro boxing record of 17-1-2. His mma record was 22-11-1.

Miirko Cro Cop had an amateur boxing record of 48-8. His mma record is 36-11-2.

Cody Gardbrandt had an amateur boxing record of 32-0. His mma record is 12-1.

Alessio Sakara had a professional boxing record of 8-1. His mma record is 19-12-2.

Fabio Maldonaldo had a professional boxing record of 25-0. His mma record is 24-11-1.

Chris Lytle had a pro boxing record of 13-1-1. His mma record was 31-18-5.

Holly Holm had a pro boxing record of 33-2-3. Her mma record is 11-4.

KJ Noons had a pro boxing record of 11-2. His mma record was 13-9-1.

Joseph Duffy had a pro boxing record of 7-0. His mma record is 17-3.

I love when people try to use the Mercer KO as proof of anything, like boxing being better than grappling because someone got knocked out who wasn't trying to grapple
Exactly, like saying BJJ is better than boxing if a BJJ black belt rolls with and taps Canelo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back