When a fighter signs to a bout, does he/she knows who the potential replacement opponents are?

MMAart

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
When a UFC fighter signs to a bout, does he/she knows who the potential replacement opponents are in case the main opponent couldn't fight because of, let's say, injuries?

The reason I'm asking this question is because it just occured to me that if a fighter signs to fight a specific opponent and trains for that particular opponent's style, and then at the very last minutes, the opponent drops out and someone else - someone with a different fighting style - steps in as a replacement, it would give the replacement a huge advantage in winning a fight that he/she normally would not.

Only alphas like Conor don't give a fuck who the replacements are.

If they're a true "mixed martial artist," it shouldn't matter. This whole "I need two months to prepare for one specific opponent and if I'm not 100% on fight day I'm going to pull out" bullshit has got to stop.

Well not if the replacement wasn't expecting the call and was not in any kind of 3-5 round shape. I'd think the guy who spent months preparing his body for battle would have the advantage.

I don't think they plan out replacements for every fight... Certain cases though. DC vs Jones 2 for current example. Jimi being the replacement.

Most of the time the answer is no, but sometimes promoters ask guys to be on stand by just in case when they don't have anything for them. Basically just keep training and stay in shape and we'll hook you up when we need you.

If they're a true "mixed martial artist," it shouldn't matter. This whole "I need two months to prepare for one specific opponent and if I'm not 100% on fight day I'm going to pull out" bullshit has got to stop.

The game has changed unfortunately. I always am envious of oldschool boxing. You could literally see a top guy in your area fight and maybe even get upset by another dude because they were so active.

They don't have to take the replacement fight but usually do because if they don't they likely don't get paid.

Jones not accepting Sonnen as a replacement causing ppv to get canceled is an example.

One problem with your reasoning is that the replacement opponent has an unfair advantage and has been training for months in preparation.

Isn't fairness an important part of martial art competition?

One problem with your reasoning is that the replacement opponent has an unfair advantage and has been training for months in preparation.

Well in this scenario the other guy also went through a training camp. So it's two fighters who both went through a camp. Perfectly fair unless one guy's only training for a specific type of opponent, in which case he just shot himself in the foot for not being well rounded.

This might be the dumbest post written here in a while. Besides the obvious fact that the other fighter will have also been training for months, replacement fighters rarely get full training camps. You think mma fighters can afford to pay trainers for camps all year round in case someone drops out of a fight?

This might be the dumbest post written here in a while. Besides the obvious fact that the other fighter will have also been training for months,

The main fighters train for their specific opponent. The replacement fighter can have a totally different style, which nullifies the training of the main fighters.

replacement fighters rarely get full training camps.

Unless we are talking about a fight where the UFC don't have a backup plan, replacement fighters do get full training camps. The best example of this would be Ray Borg. He was planned by the UFC to be a standby replacement for TJ Dillashaw in case he couldn't make weight against Demetrious Johnson. Had the bout been signed, Ray Borg could have started his training camp specifically for Demetrious Johnson at the same time.

You think mma fighters can afford to pay trainers for camps all year round in case someone drops out of a fight?

Who said anything about training all year round? See the Ray Borg example above.

You started your reply with, "this might be the dumbest post written." Look who is talking!

Back