What's Your Next Purchase? V5

The tube is the same but the buffer and spring aren't. I'm not up on the options for buffers. Springs you can get your standard DPMS and alike Springs or get something more high-end like Tubb precision.

I know JP makes a silent buffer set for .308.

I got a CZ P-09 .40s&w. It's polymer, which I'm not a big fan of. To me CZ is generally impressive so I took a chance. I also wanted a .40 because I like that round and have far more 9mm/.40acp.

My first grab of the pistol dashed my optimism. Not much contour. I don't care for the checkering (which is generally true on any pistol). But oh well, it's supposed to be a nice value and for $390 (plus shipping/transfer) it's not a huge blow.

Fortunately I see they hopped on this trend of supplying different backstrap options. Switching out to the next size up made a big difference in terms of fitting my hand. Still the same checkering, but it's a rare treat when none exists. Looking at it I wonder how much aesthetic damage I could do by taking the edges down a bit somehow. Of course nothing goes smoothly and the pin for the backstrap wasn't coming out. Being mechanically slow on the uptake as I am, it took some time and an owner's manual consultation to see that the pin also held the main spring so there was torquing issues. A fair bit of pressure fixed it and I was so happy I let the spring (and the lanyard/end piece) fly. Typical. :)

It's also got a decocker. I don't really get those. Maybe in a carry/duty situation there's sensible application, but that's beyond the scope of my use. Once again though CZ comes through by including a safety that can be switched out with the decocker. I'll figure that out one next.

The final issue on the agenda is seeing about switching the magazine release to the other side. It protrudes quit nicely, much to the discomfort of the trigger finger. I haven't confirmed yet that it's possible, but I'm hoping.

I found it interesting that the slide rails on the frame were so minimal, being mostly familiar with the steel models where the whole thing's a rail.

32a55508ad16c2306b81e7f9c67d9e41.jpg

EDIT: Swapping out the decocker for the safety was damn near literally a snap. The magazine release should have been, but I lost another pin. I had to have a beer break during the search. After about an hour, when hope was all but lost, there it was. Right below where I was sitting. At first I thought there was a problem because of the slop in the magazine, but then I figured it best to put the slide back on. That cleared up the slop and made for a happy trigger finger. The difference in overall feel is substantial. I might end up liking this one, depending on how it shoots.

hk vp9 would have been the better choice for a polymer pistol. it's ergonomics and trigger is arguably the best of the polymer pistols.

The new Beretta PX4 Storm full size 9mm got it's initial look-see today. It also came with three backstrap options. I switched them out and decided on the one that came installed. The switching sides of the magazine release went much smoother than the CZ. If anything, with the PX4, it was a pain prying the first backstrap off.

I like the gun. I'd shot a friend's compact in the past. Slide removal/install is the easiest ever. Just pull down on two small levers (one on each side) and push the slide forward. To put it on you put it on. Other than being a little pokey to my sensitive digits it's perfect.

Comparing triggers to the Beretta M9, I have to give it to the M9 overall. The DA feels more or less the same on both. In SA the M9 seems to have less takeup but most of that could be due to the PX4 having more curve on the trigger. Break seems about the same but the M9 brings the hammer down a bit more. Reset goes to the M9. Trigger pulls feels lighter on the PX4.

There's a tiny chirping noise on the PX4 when the hammer is going back. I need to figure that out next.

beretta-px4-full-size.jpg

EDIT: Hoping for magic, I threw some break free in a couple spots (a spring and a moving piece that might be rubbing the slide). Maybe a little. It's only noticeable when you thumb-cock the hammer. Maybe it's caused by sideways pressure from my thumb because there noise isn't there when instead it's the trigger causing the hammer to travel rearward. Strange. <shrug>

hk vp9 would have been the better choice for a polymer pistol. it's ergonomics and trigger is arguably the best of the polymer pistols.

Rather than the CZ P-09? I want a VP9 someday as well. :icon_chee

The HK would be another $100+ and a different caliber. If it's anything like the P30 it's well worth the money though.

I just wish the trigger guard was a little bigger on that CZ.....

The original p07 duty was the gun that turned me off CZ pistols completely, I couldn't stand the gun and when I took a 50% for selling it, I was overjoyed.

If I was getting into a new polymer platform (I have a dozen or so glocks already) I'd get a sig 320 (the reviews are outstanding) or an hk. The only real issue I have with hk is that mags tend to be pretty expensive.

I'd also consider getting into the xd line because it seems like they have some solid options for cc/EDC use.

All the same I hope you enjoy your new CZ, your 1911 looks great and I may grab one of those.

Not a fan of that beretta px4 either. Not trying to talk shit, just give an opinion. When it comes to beretta, I pretty much only like the m9/92 stuff and even those are big and heavy for 9mm pistols (same with the sig 226 although I like it better than the beretta).

In the end, for me, nothing beats the glock 17/19/26 pistols for 9mm stuff and I'm not really a big fan of the 40, I do t shoot it that well and I feel like 9mm has so many good options right now that there's no need for a tweeter between the 9 and the 45acp.

I'm looking at the sig sauer website now, I sort of have an itch for a new sig. The 229 sas gen 2 looks awesome as does the 220 carry sas gen2.

I'll get more serious about those after I finish my new hunting rifle project.

Oh, I got a line on a weatherby vanguard 375hh. If it works out, that will
Be my snowmobile gun that goes out with me.

I just wish the trigger guard was a little bigger on that CZ.....

The original p07 duty was the gun that turned me off CZ pistols completely, I couldn't stand the gun and when I took a 50% for selling it, I was overjoyed.

If I was getting into a new polymer platform (I have a dozen or so glocks already) I'd get a sig 320 (the reviews are outstanding) or an hk. The only real issue I have with hk is that mags tend to be pretty expensive.

I'd also consider getting into the xd line because it seems like they have some solid options for cc/EDC use.

All the same I hope you enjoy your new CZ, your 1911 looks great and I may grab one of those.

Interesting comment on the trigger guard. Glocks must be huge then because the CZ is bigger than the CZ75 and almost identical to the HK P30.

I wish I knew people selling half-off pistols. :icon_sad:

I'll keep my eye on the Sig. As I stated, the VP9 is already on my list. Someday I'll check out the Springfield and S&W pistols.

I couldn't pick up my CZ 1911 or my Canik yet, but I took a peak. There's something about the 1911 that looked sexy as hell, and that was seeing it through the plastic!! I can't wait to get that one home. :cool:

In case we haven't discussed it, it would be a real shame if you let a polymer offering dissuade you from investigating the CZ steel framed models. The CZ 75 is a great fucking gun. I understand different strokes for different folks, but there is no comparison between it and the P-09.

Not a fan of that beretta px4 either. Not trying to talk shit, just give an opinion. When it comes to beretta, I pretty much only like the m9/92 stuff and even those are big and heavy for 9mm pistols (same with the sig 226 although I like it better than the beretta).

In the end, for me, nothing beats the glock 17/19/26 pistols for 9mm stuff and I'm not really a big fan of the 40, I do t shoot it that well and I feel like 9mm has so many good options right now that there's no need for a tweeter between the 9 and the 45acp.

I'm looking at the sig sauer website now, I sort of have an itch for a new sig. The 229 sas gen 2 looks awesome as does the 220 carry sas gen2.

I'll get more serious about those after I finish my new hunting rifle project.

Oh, I got a line on a weatherby vanguard 375hh. If it works out, that will
Be my snowmobile gun that goes out with me.

I can understand as I'd take the M9 over the Storm (which I knew going in). And yeah, the M9 has more weight to it. But that's what gives it that awesome gun-nut-fetish feel. Especially with one of those 30 rounders sticking out the bottom.

I did buy my first Glock. The 43. I haven't inspected it fully yet.

As for Sig, I see they're running a special on their .22lr conversion kits. If I had me a Sig already I'd definitely be buying because even without one I'm considering it for future use. :icon_lol:

I will say the quality of the Mosquito has tempered my enthusiasm for picking up one of their more serious offerings. The CZ Kadet conversion kit crushes it.

http://store.sigsauer.com/sale/conversion-kits-sale.html

We're issued the Px4 Storm Type D, DAO at work. Can't say I'm crazy about it, but that said, the rotating barrel does provide a near straight feed ramp and it tames recoil pretty well, though it's not that necessary for a 9mm. Don't have to worry about bullet setback as much, especially when potentially loading the same round in the chamber for every shift, for a year. Probably my biggest issue with the pistol, isn't anything mechanical per se, it's something I can get used to. What I dislike is how poor the support for it is, because it was such a commercial flop. There are a grand total of two certified armourers in the entire country, who can actually fully service my pistol, should it ever shit the bed.

But if you like it, cool.

We're issued the Px4 Storm Type D, DAO at work.

I've got Type F. SA/DA where the decocker also acts as a manual safety but not returning to the firing position each time. And I've got a hammer (which I like). Maybe those things would make a difference for you in terms of everything other than repair service?

It's not a favorite, but I think it's a quality handgun and especially for the price I paid ($425 with shipping & transfer). I do really like the shape/contours of it.

EDIT: I'm not that familiar with the purpose of rotating barrels. But they do make field stripping a little more interesting.

I was being sarcastic about the trigger guard, the one on that CZ is massive haha!!!

Yeah the sig mosquito sucks as do most 22 caliber guns that try to mimic other guns (mosquito, 1911s, Walthers), lots of them tend to be jam o matics and they usually use cheap pot metal for the slides.

The ruger sr22 is probably the exception for that type of gun but for 22 pistols, I'll stick to my ruger marks.

Basic 1911s are good. Many years ago, I worked for the state land commission, a real joe job but we got to carry for security stuff, we only had old refurbed 1911s but the boss was a big gun guy so we got to shoot A LOT....pretty cool job but it was like 10 dollars an hour lol.

Anyways I also really like the look of that CZ 1911. For awhile I wanted a cz75 limited edition which was a brushed steel frame, not that terrible chrome one they have but it was like matte brushed. I doubt you can find them any more, it was around the same time that the russiannone came out that had a big red star on the slide.

I also remember when you could get CZ pistols for like 150 dollars back in ~ 1999-2000.

I was being sarcastic about the trigger guard, the one on that CZ is massive haha!!!

Yeah the sig mosquito sucks as do most 22 caliber guns that try to mimic other guns (mosquito, 1911s, Walthers), lots of them tend to be jam o matics and they usually use cheap pot metal for the slides.

The ruger sr22 is probably the exception for that type of gun but for 22 pistols, I'll stick to my ruger marks.

Basic 1911s are good. Many years ago, I worked for the state land commission, a real joe job but we got to carry for security stuff, we only had old refurbed 1911s but the boss was a big gun guy so we got to shoot A LOT....pretty cool job but it was like 10 dollars an hour lol.

Anyways I also really like the look of that CZ 1911. For awhile I wanted a cz75 limited edition which was a brushed steel frame, not that terrible chrome one they have but it was like matte brushed. I doubt you can find them any more, it was around the same time that the russiannone came out that had a big red star on the slide.

I also remember when you could get CZ pistols for like 150 dollars back in ~ 1999-2000.

You got me. It's been a long day of slowly drinking. The thought of $10/hr is sobering though. :eek:

I bought my 85 Combat close to 10 years ago and the best deal I could find was $500.

Which ltd ed are you talking about? One of the anniversary editions? I like the new 40th but I just can't handle the $1400 price tag.

CZ14_75B_40thaniv-L-e1416945912273.jpg

It was a matte silver finish, like a brushed finish, it was silver with black rubber grips.

It looked awesome.

I've got Type F. SA/DA where the decocker also acts as a manual safety but not returning to the firing position each time. And I've got a hammer (which I like). Maybe those things would make a difference for you in terms of everything other than repair service?

It's not a favorite, but I think it's a quality handgun and especially for the price I paid ($425 with shipping & transfer). I do really like the shape/contours of it.

EDIT: I'm not that familiar with the purpose of rotating barrels. But they do make field stripping a little more interesting.

Those things would make a difference, I'd end up really hating the gun, lol. I can't stand slide mounted safeties and DA/SA is my least preferred type of trigger.

Pics for the sake of pics:

It was a matte silver finish, like a brushed finish, it was silver with black rubber grips.

It looked awesome.

Like this?

KSC-GBB-CZ75-2.jpg

Those things would make a difference, I'd end up really hating the gun, lol. I can't stand slide mounted safeties and DA/SA is my least preferred type of trigger.

lol. DA/SA is my most preferred. I'd take SAO over DAO. I see yours isn't an ambi decocker (which doesn't work so well for me as a lefty). And isn't your decocker also on the slide anyway? The difference would be that on the F Type you can keep it in the decocking position.

I'm not trying to talk you into anything. Just shooting the breeze. :)

Like this?

KSC-GBB-CZ75-2.jpg

lol. DA/SA is my most preferred. I'd take SAO over DAO. I see yours isn't an ambi decocker (which doesn't work so well for me as a lefty). And isn't your decocker also on the slide anyway? The difference would be that on the F Type you can keep it in the decocking position.

I'm not trying to talk you into anything. Just shooting the breeze. :)

It's a DAO with a spurless hammer, there is no decocker or safety at all, just point and shoot.

I really can't stand the subcompact version of the PX4 Storm

I want to like the Beretta 92, it's a handsome pistol and iconic, but there are too many "features" which in combination, make me dislike it. Kinda the same way I feel about Moisin-Nagants; straight bolt handle, rough bolt, ridiculous OAL. I could deal with one or two of those things, but not all of them together. I know, I know, there's the carbine length M44, but they're double the price (I won't pay that much for a milsurp) and obnoxiously loud with the 20" barrel. I could probably warm up to a Taurus 92, though.

Thanks Jlagman. I forget not all guns have a safety/decocker. And being spurless it sure looks sleek. Now I'd kinda like to try yours. lol

This is the Tisas Zigana Sport 9mm. I got drawn in by the looks and the price was acceptable (~$500 all in). They'd been cheaper but I missed the boat and there were practically none to be found online that weren't being sold locally.

411552923_2.jpg

Yes, the barrel is also ported. Two slots. I read this and the slide/frame ports will make the gun get quite dirty. Whatever. I clean after every range trip anyway. This also has the (abhorred) slide-mounted safety/decocker. Again, not my first choice but for my purposes it's just fine.

One real issue though is magazines. I don't see that they make 10 rounders and I live in a neutered state. Research had me believing it would take Sig P226 mags from MecGar but that doesn't appear correct. No match with CZ. The PX4 looked to be close on everything but it's a little wide. Worst case scenario is blocking off one of their standard capacity mags.

The grip actually fits pretty well. There's a right side palm-swell on it that makes it more comfortable to hold right handed, but still doesn't feel awkward holding lefty.

As for size, it's hefty. Think Beretta M9, but the slide shape makes it seem a little bigger.

Trigger is heavy on the DA but smooth. The SA is short, with a fairly clean break, and not too light. Reset seems very short. I'd say it's pretty good. Much cleaner than the CZ triggers but much heavier DA.

Build quality seems good. I like that the front/backstrap have vertical lines rather than checkering. I'll see what I can do to get a 10 round mag and find how this puppy shoots.

EDIT: After running some snap caps through via the P226 mag I'm thinking it might work fine, other than it doesn't fit flush or drop free. It ain't perfect, but it' ain't a felony! Maybe I just need to remove a little metal from the notch on the mag.

Back