What's Your Next Purchase? V5

I just priced out my dream Outdoorsmans tripod set up, it's fucking $1,100 USD.
<30>
Definitely going to have to wait until my tax return in the spring.

@bushman505, do you glass off of a tripod?

I do have an outdoorsman tripod lol, I got it at their shop a few years ago for ~ 30% off, I couldn’t pass it up.

I havnt used it with binos though, just a spotting scope.

m7S223c.jpg

LOL, almost forgot that I ordered this. Optics Planet had a coupon code earlier this month, on top of the Nikon Monarch discount that were spread across the dealers for October. I ordered it at the time to try to tie up some money so I wouldn't have such an "Alpha glass" craving, it didn't work.

Pretty cool rig though, image stabilization takes some getting used to, especially if you keep both eyes open. Kinda like fighting imbalance from intoxication at first.

Get a wind reader and a scope that has mil/mil measurements. Range it, twist it and kill it. That’s what I’ve been messing with lately with my 6.5cm

Get a wind reader and a scope that has mil/mil measurements. Range it, twist it and kill it. That’s what I’ve been messing with lately with my 6.5cm
If I ever start dabbling into long range precision again, I'll likely go with something with at least a 30mm tube, 50mm objective, FFP and mil/mil.

But my current focus is on the stuff that's easy to overlook when you get caught up in the newest rifles or bows. I kinda want to put more emphasis on the shit that keeps me in the field longer and helps me find critters; my gun and bow already outperform my skill level.

If I ever start dabbling into long range precision again, I'll likely go with something with at least a 30mm tube, 50mm objective, FFP and mil/mil.

But my current focus is on the stuff that's easy to overlook when you get caught up in the newest rifles or bows. I kinda want to put more emphasis on the shit that keeps me in the field longer and helps me find critters; my gun and bow already outperform my skill level.

Good plan, that’s basically what I’ve done over the years worked on hunting longer and harder. Look into getting some good quality clothing that keeps you dry and warm. I was on a trip several weeks back and my buddy was miserable in the rain and going to sleep damp, I didn’t have any issues.

I’m actually not really into long range precision shooting at all, I’m just working on extending the distance I can hunt at. In the past I’ve just used standard scopes and kept my shots within 3-400yds.

Lately I’ve added a few guns to my stable to help me hunt out to maybe 6-800 and I have no intention of ever hunting from farther than that.

I’ve basically “set up” a training range for myself on the side of a mountain where there isn’t anything but wilderness for miles. There’s a steeeeeeep trail that’s about 1000ft of vertical gain, I have a few small steel plates at the top and bottom of it and I practice shooting at uphill and downhill angles while climbing and defending the trail, it’s pretty fun. Lately about once a week I take just 20 rounds or so, shoot 10 up the Mountain from 500 to 650yds then hike up and shoot tmsinilar distances down the mountain, it’s really helped a ton.

I’ve been doing a miniature version of it also with my 22 but keeping shots about 100yds.

I’m not using any really fancy equipment or anything, just a few tikka rifles, one in 6.5cm with a nightforce 3-10 and I JUST got another tikka in 300wsm and a used SWFA 3-15 scope for. A cheap jester wind meter and my rangefinder. That’s it, nothing major. I just want to be a bit more prepared for when I see something I want to shoot that’s at 500+yds, I just want to be more comfortable with those shots.

As for being comfortable out there, I have a bunch of clothing from kuiu that covers pretty much any conditions I could possible encounter. Good packs and tents help too.

I’m actually not really into long range precision shooting at all, I’m just working on extending the distance I can hunt at. In the past I’ve just used standard scopes and kept my shots within 3-400yds.

Lately I’ve added a few guns to my stable to help me hunt out to maybe 6-800 and I have no intention of ever hunting from farther than that.

I’ve basically “set up” a training range for myself on the side of a mountain where there isn’t anything but wilderness for miles. There’s a steeeeeeep trail that’s about 1000ft of vertical gain, I have a few small steel plates at the top and bottom of it and I practice shooting at uphill and downhill angles while climbing and defending the trail, it’s pretty fun. Lately about once a week I take just 20 rounds or so, shoot 10 up the Mountain from 500 to 650yds then hike up and shoot tmsinilar distances down the mountain, it’s really helped a ton.

I’ve been doing a miniature version of it also with my 22 but keeping shots about 100yds.

I’m not using any really fancy equipment or anything, just a few tikka rifles, one in 6.5cm with a nightforce 3-10 and I JUST got another tikka in 300wsm and a used SWFA 3-15 scope for. A cheap jester wind meter and my rangefinder. That’s it, nothing major. I just want to be a bit more prepared for when I see something I want to shoot that’s at 500+yds, I just want to be more comfortable with those shots.

As for being comfortable out there, I have a bunch of clothing from kuiu that covers pretty much any conditions I could possible encounter. Good packs and tents help too.
Yeah, my rekindled interest in long range precision stemmed from my most recent pistol qualifier, where shooting a bow out to 70-80 yards made a 25 metre pistol stage feel close and easy by comparison. That interest has kind of waned since then, though who knows? Maybe I'll eventually get into it on the cheap.

Thing is, I realize I already have guns that are hunt-capable and can be practiced at longer ranges, but I don't own a good sleeping bag or tent and I was running entry-level binoculars. Granted, I don't yet do the kind of hunting that requires a good tent or sleeping bags, but optics are still a good investment.

Most of my clothing is pretty good, I whore First Lite because of MeatEater, but I'm willing to try other stuff. I'm thinking adding a base layer bottom and a light rain layer; mostly to help cut wind.

Yeah, my rekindled interest in long range precision stemmed from my most recent pistol qualifier, where shooting a bow out to 70-80 yards made a 25 metre pistol stage feel close and easy by comparison. That interest has kind of waned since then, though who knows? Maybe I'll eventually get into it on the cheap.

Thing is, I realize I already have guns that are hunt-capable and can be practiced at longer ranges, but I don't own a good sleeping bag or tent and I was running entry-level binoculars. Granted, I don't yet do the kind of hunting that requires a good tent or sleeping bags, but optics are still a good investment.

Most of my clothing is pretty good, I whore First Lite because of MeatEater, but I'm willing to try other stuff. I'm thinking adding a base layer bottom and a light rain layer; mostly to help cut wind.

Yup. I like nice hunting rifles but honestly it’s probably the least important piece of equipment. Optics, boots, packs, tents and clothing are far more important. Whenever I talk to people who want to get a new rifle, lately I’ve just been suggesting either a browning xbolt or a Winchester 70 extreme weather as a better than average, lifetime rifle in 30-06 it will work on anything.

I like my tikkas because i can beat on them and I’m not dinging up expensive rifles, I think both of them were about 600 dollars each. They get rained on, snowed on and bumped around and I don’t even care. The nice thing about them though is they are stupid accurate out of the box, very smooth, triggers are good and they weigh under 6lbs so I can put bigger scopes with more robust mounting systems and they still weigh under 8lbs.....and they are relatively inexpensive.

First lite makes nice shit. I do t really use it though because it dosent fit me. Their xl is super baggy on me but their L is tight.

The kuiu stuff fits me perfectly.

I just ordered a Caldwell Deadshot Fieldpod which was on sale for $99 CAD. I guess I really hate my Primos trigger sticks because I bought them for all the wrong reasons and I think the Caldwell will serve as a better stopgap to when I can buy my glassing tripod rig.

I ordered a rugged ridge bipod, should be nice and sturdy. I got sick of the javelin spartan and ended up leaving it behind and just using a Harris bipod. Sold the javelin.

Not sure I mentioned it but I got a tikka t3x lite (not superlite) in 300wsm used for 400 bucks. Looks new. I’ve had it out a few times but I’ll get it out on my mountain shooting range tomorrow since the weather has finally been good.

Went to the store to grab a Ruger GP100.. walked out with a pre-lock S&W 686-4 plus (7 rounds) 6’’ barrel.

3rd time I’ve tried to buy that damn Ruger and wound up with something else lol. I’ve been in the market for a while on a pre-lock Smith tho, and for only 600$ I couldn’t pass on it.

Went to the store to grab a Ruger GP100.. walked out with a pre-lock S&W 686-4 plus (7 rounds) 6’’ barrel.

3rd time I’ve tried to buy that damn Ruger and wound up with something else lol. I’ve been in the market for a while on a pre-lock Smith tho, and for only 600$ I couldn’t pass on it.
I dunno how pricing is down there, but when I bought my GP 100, like 6 years ago, they were significantly cheaper than a 686. Up here, while the exchange has made all guns more expensive, they're damned near the same price and if I were in a position to choose between the two when there's less than an $80 difference, I'd go with the Smith.

Just so I don't clutter the thread, I had just enough time to pick up my newer crutch, just before rifle season started:

2ayBMhE.jpg

While it's bulkier, it attaches to my pack better than my Primos sticks; those were just too damned long, yet to flimsy to be used as a walking stick and fuck if I'm just going to carry them.

SJzCHYu.jpg

I dunno how pricing is down there, but when I bought my GP 100, like 6 years ago, they were significantly cheaper than a 686. Up here, while the exchange has made all guns more expensive, they're damned near the same price and if I were in a position to choose between the two when there's less than an $80 difference, I'd go with the Smith

Brand new I’d roll with the Ruger -they’re making the best .357’s right now imo. I also already own a newer 686 (which I love) -but it has the locking system on it. I’ve never had an issue with it personally, but a revolver with a lock/safety on it.. meh

So, a few years ago I started researching older 686’s thinking I could grab one for a solid price used. Problem is, the pre-locks are now collector items and the -4’s are considered possibly the best S&W’s ever made in some circles. You’re also mostly limited to what you find online meaning you can’t inspect before you buy. So I put the idea on the back burner and picked up some other stuff.

Fast forward to a week ago, I go into my local shop to pick up a GP 100 but decide to browse the used case just in case they had a Colt Python or Browning High Power (2 other guns I’m in the market for) laying around. They didn’t, but they did have a pre-lock 686 that just happened to be a -4 plus (meaning 7 shot rather than 6) making it even more rare.. and they only wanted 600$ for it. I inspected it and found it to be in great shape so I pulled the trigger (pun sort of intended). I’ve seen these in great shape online for 2 grand.. so I’d say I got a steal.

I can always go back and grab the GP 100 (I plan to do so this week most likely) as it’s still in production.. but I may never see a pre-lock 686 -4 in my life again.

The more you know

Brand new I’d roll with the Ruger -they’re making the best .357’s right now imo. I also already own a newer 686 (which I love) -but it has the locking system on it. I’ve never had an issue with it personally, but a revolver with a lock/safety on it.. meh

So, a few years ago I started researching older 686’s thinking I could grab one for a solid price used. Problem is, the pre-locks are now collector items and the -4’s are considered possibly the best S&W’s ever made in some circles. You’re also mostly limited to what you find online meaning you can’t inspect before you buy. So I put the idea on the back burner and picked up some other stuff.

Fast forward to a week ago, I go into my local shop to pick up a GP 100 but decide to browse the used case just in case they had a Colt Python or Browning High Power (2 other guns I’m in the market for) laying around. They didn’t, but they did have a pre-lock 686 that just happened to be a -4 plus (meaning 7 shot rather than 6) making it even more rare.. and they only wanted 600$ for it. I inspected it and found it to be in great shape so I pulled the trigger (pun sort of intended). I’ve seen these in great shape online for 2 grand.. so I’d say I got a steal.

I can always go back and grab the GP 100 (I plan to do so this week most likely) as it’s still in production.. but I may never see a pre-lock 686 -4 in my life again.

The more you know

My dad is a S&W guy, I’ve always been partial to rugers, I really like their stout overbuilt designs even if their stuff is heavier. A gp100 was one of my first guns ever, I also have an sp101 which I’ve had for about 15 years. My favorite though is my 4.2” redhawk 44mag.

I’d wanted one for a long time after reading a book about a guy skiing solo to the North Pole who chose one for protection from polar bears. Ruger stopped making these for a lot of years for some reason and you couldn’t find them anywhere, finally a few years ago I was In the right shop with $$$ in my pocket and they had one. I carry it with Buffalo bore 360g+p hardcasts.

I dunno how pricing is down there, but when I bought my GP 100, like 6 years ago, they were significantly cheaper than a 686. Up here, while the exchange has made all guns more expensive, they're damned near the same price and if I were in a position to choose between the two when there's less than an $80 difference, I'd go with the Smith.

Just so I don't clutter the thread, I had just enough time to pick up my newer crutch, just before rifle season started:

2ayBMhE.jpg

While it's bulkier, it attaches to my pack better than my Primos sticks; those were just too damned long, yet to flimsy to be used as a walking stick and fuck if I'm just going to carry them.

SJzCHYu.jpg

You’re going to carry that thing with you in the field??

My dad is a S&W guy, I’ve always been partial to rugers, I really like their stout overbuilt designs even if their stuff is heavier. A gp100 was one of my first guns ever, I also have an sp101 which I’ve had for about 15 years. My favorite though is my 4.2” redhawk 44mag.

I’d wanted one for a long time after reading a book about a guy skiing solo to the North Pole who chose one for protection from polar bears. Ruger stopped making these for a lot of years for some reason and you couldn’t find them anywhere, finally a few years ago I was In the right shop with $$$ in my pocket and they had one. I carry it with Buffalo bore 360g+p hardcasts.

Nice. Yeah, I love what Ruger is doing in the revolver market right now in both single and double action. The Vaquero is the standard for cowboy quick draw competitions right atm, no one touches them outside of perhaps some custom builds.

The sp101 is nice but I have large hands and my pinky slides off the bottom of the grip on those so I dig the gp100 more. That, and the GP100 has a stronger frame -while the sp101 is lighter, but most likely better for concealing. Both are great high quality pieces tho. My prediction is if Colt and S&W don’t step up their games Ruger is going to run the revolver market and eventually go up in price. But right now, as much as I love Smiths.. Ruger is just better. Especially when they can be had for almost 200$ less.

You’re going to carry that thing with you in the field??
I have a few times already, with the rifle slung on one side and the tripod on the other, it actually balances quite nicely. That said, when I eventually pull the trigger on an Outdoorsmans, it will likely end up being a range toy.

Probably won't be making any black Friday purchases unfortunately. Next year however I will likely make some nice purchases.

Back