What's Your Next Purchase? V5

High-end barrels are over-sized and need fitted by taking metal off of them. Or so I thought.

I believe so as well.

He made it sound like some of the cheap ones were just made so loose(or to a slightly different spec) that fitment could be an issue or not preform as it should for the cost.

Like I said, just repeating.

Gregolian is talking about spending around 1k in upgrades on a $400 1911. What I got from that sgc employee/instructor is it would be better to start with a quality Colt ( https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-1911-Rail-Gun-45-ACP-Semi-Auto-Pistol-p/o1980rg.htm) Springfield, etc and do an action/trigger job and leave the stock barrel alone (unless you can shoot consistent 3" groups at 25 yards and feel the barrel is holding you back). Depending on the model you could probably get the colt, work done, grips, etc for around the same price.

I'm far from an expert(or even that knowledgeable) on 1911's, just sharing my thoughts on what some gun shop employee said would be better in his opinion.

I believe so as well.

He made it sound like some of the cheap ones were just made so loose(or to a slightly different spec) that fitment could be an issue or not preform as it should for the cost.

Like I said, just repeating.

Gregolian is talking about spending around 1k in upgrades on a $400 1911. What I got from that sgc employee/instructor is it would be better to start with a quality Colt ( https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-1911-Rail-Gun-45-ACP-Semi-Auto-Pistol-p/o1980rg.htm) Springfield, etc and do an action/trigger job and leave the stock barrel alone (unless you can shoot consistent 3" groups at 25 yards and feel the barrel is holding you back). Depending on the model you could probably get the colt, work done, grips, etc for around the same price.

I'm far from an expert(or even that knowledgeable) on 1911's, just sharing my thoughts on what some gun shop employee said would be better in his opinion.

It's hard to argue that if you start with a better product you'll finish with a better one. Makes sense not to dump money into something that's already low end.

@RerouteToRemain @Cubo de Sangre

See, what I was thinking about doing was sending my Springer in that was like $700 or so to get some Night sights installed, maybe a trigger job, and then like crown the bushing to barrel ie this:
maxresdefault.jpg

And maybe have the feed ramp polished some since it STILL isn't fucking feeding hollowpoints all that well. I know I know 1911's and feeding issues blah.

Only thing that worries me is I have those old school GI staked sights so I am unsure if they can even be replaced without a bunch of expensive milling.

So I've periodically been looking for the availability of Winchester Ranger 64gr BSB (RA556B) and finally found in stock on a site that doesn't restrict it to LEO/MIL but they want $34 a box. Another store restricting it has it available for $26 a box.

Looks like I'll keep waiting, bullshit.

It's one of the last rounds(one I wanted most) I wanted to round out my mini hd ammo collection.

Edit the price and being in stock rustled me so I searched a little harder and gunbroker is my savior lol $25 a box.

Last edited:
Getting a SOG Powerassist and my buddy sold his spare Banshee Plate carrier with front, back, and side plates and some HSGI taco pouches too.

OD green Tavor x95 for sale local for $1200.

Probably not going to do it though. I need to buy a pressure washer more than I need another 5.56

OD green Tavor x95 for sale local for $1200.

Probably not going to do it though. I need to buy a pressure washer more than I need another 5.56
I miss having a pressure washer...lol

003-80269_2.jpg

689719_ts.jpg

69gr_sierra_match.jpg

I'm hoping this new Hornady Black 75gr match is accurate and consistent. At just over $0.50 a round it would be an awesome round to use at a variety of distances without breaking the bank.

Only rounds left that I'm thinking of testing are black hills 60gr Vmax, eagle eye 69gr otm and Federal GMM 73gr Berger.

Last edited:
I have a Springfield Champion Operator 1911, and one of the tritium vials on the rear sight fell out at some point. I ran it thru steel challenge yesterday, and since I shoot focused on the front sight, I didn't think it would throw me off much, but it made it tricky to pick up a sight picture quickly.

Im looking for a lower cost but decent rear sight replacement for it that can be a direct swap with no machining. Finding mixed info on what is compatible. I believe it's a Novak dovetail.

Well boys,

-2 pelican cases
-3 rifle scopes
-800 dollars of stuff from Kuiu
-400 dollars of stuff from first lite
-4 pairs of boots between me and the wife
-a brand new kifaru back pack set up
-2 pairs of Simms waders
-and a ton of other small shit....

I think we're ready for the upcoming hunting season in Alaska. Not to mention I'll probably end up spending 2k on groceries in anchorage before flying out.

Bush life.....

Well boys,

-2 pelican cases
-3 rifle scopes
-2 pairs of Simms waders

I think we're ready for the upcoming hunting season in Alaska. Not to mention I'll probably end up spending 2k on groceries in anchorage before flying out.

Bush life.....
400 dollars of First Lite is like what.. 2 jackets? And Kuiu it's like 2 jackets and a vest I bet. :p

Well boys,

-2 pelican cases
-3 rifle scopes
-2 pairs of Simms waders

Bush life.....

Do you have a lot of experience with the Kuiu and First Lite gear? I've considered getting a couple of there clothing in the past, but I can't really justify the cost. I just don't know what makes their clothing so expensive. I guess if I was a trophy ram hunter it would make more sense, but I don't really need to count ounces in a tree stand.

Back