What's Your Next Purchase? V5

That's a good question, in the past, I've never bothered with anything over 8 or 10x because I don't really hunt much past 400 or occasionally 500 this new rifle is really more of a long range hunting rifle compared to my others so a 3-18 would be awesome.

Right now I have a 308 with a 3-9 and a 30-06 with a 1.5-5 but this 300wby is sort of another thing entirely so I may as well get it set up to shoot long, I think it would be an awesome setup strictly for moose or elk hunting.

Figure you may get a kick out of this.

18620427_10154859060867968_5207014882697775672_n.jpg

18671074_10154859060872968_12083020308115562_n.jpg

18622371_10154859060877968_4716308957762855437_n.jpg

A hunter tripped and fell into the Alaskan Copper River delta, lost his rifle to the stream and it was found 3.5 years later in a beaver dam. Scope still works and it's at leupolds hq.

The VX6HD in 2-12 or 3-18 would be badass on a rifle like that. The 2-12 is 16.8oz 12.5" and the 3-18 is 20.4oz 13.5". Price difference is $200. I personally like the tmoa but they have a few different reticles.

I've always been a leupold fan, I'll take a serious look at the vx6 line up. A 3-18 would be sweet, I'm not terribly concerned with weight because the gun is 6.75lbs at least that's what the website says, and it's going to be a kicker so an 8lb + a few ounces is fine for this caliber.

All our other weatherby magnum rifles over the years have been 8-9lbs and that seems like a good balance because they do kick....this wont really be a high country rifle, I'll use a kimber when I hit the lake Clark area this year, hopefully I'll get a chugach or a Tok tag in the next few years.

Figure you may get a kick out of this.

18620427_10154859060867968_5207014882697775672_n.jpg

18671074_10154859060872968_12083020308115562_n.jpg

18622371_10154859060877968_4716308957762855437_n.jpg

A hunter tripped and fell into the Alaskan Copper River delta, lost his rifle to the stream and it was found 3.5 years later in a beaver dam. Scope still works and it's at leupolds hq.

I saw that, pretty amazing isn't it? There was another one that got left on mountain in Idaho or somewhere at like 10k feet for a number of years and the scope still worked.

Interestingly, losing guns isn't all that uncommon in Alaska, people trip during river crossings and flip rafts all the time. I know of a guy who actually burned his rifle, tent, bag and boots becaus he had just shot a massive bear and the plane was overweight, he figured buying new gear was cheaper than fuel for the plane.

I saw that, pretty amazing isn't it? There was another one that got left on mountain in Idaho or somewhere at like 10k feet for a number of years and the scope still worked.

Interestingly, losing guns isn't all that uncommon in Alaska, people trip during river crossings and flip rafts all the time. I know of a guy who actually burned his rifle, tent, bag and boots becaus he had just shot a massive bear and the plane was overweight, he figured buying new gear was cheaper than fuel for the plane.

It really is.

Yeah I guess depending on the spot losing some gear may be easier than one would think.

Haha that's crazy.

I've always been a leupold fan, I'll take a serious look at the vx6 line up. A 3-18 would be sweet, I'm not terribly concerned with weight because the gun is 6.75lbs at least that's what the website says, and it's going to be a kicker so an 8lb + a few ounces is fine for this caliber.

All our other weatherby magnum rifles over the years have been 8-9lbs and that seems like a good balance because they do kick....this wont really be a high country rifle, I'll use a kimber when I hit the lake Clark area this year, hopefully I'll get a chugach or a Tok tag in the next few years.

It's the 6.5-300?

It really is.

Yeah I guess depending on the spot losing some gear may be easier than one would think.

Haha that's crazy.

Especially in the copper river delta, that's some seriously rough and cold water. That water can be so silty that if you fall in your clothes are just going to fill with silt and drag you down. People fall into those rivers and are never recovered, just buried in silt in icy cold water.

I'd bet that guy was crossing a section and it was deeper than he should have been and lost his footing, dropped everything and flailed back to shore and called it a hunt and went home.

It's the 6.5-300?

I wish....no, it's a 300 weatherby. The vanguard back Country they switched out for me was a 300wby so they just sent the same caliber.

That would have been sweet if they would have given me a 6.5-300.....I should have asked.

I could probably re barrel it to the 6.5-300 and still be below the cost of the gun since I paid 989 for th vanguard backcountry and they just traded me across for the MKV.

Especially in the copper river delta, that's some seriously rough and cold water. That water can be so silty that if you fall in your clothes are just going to fill with silt and drag you down. People fall into those rivers and are never recovered, just buried in silt in icy cold water.

I'd bet that guy was crossing a section and it was deeper than he should have been and lost his footing, dropped everything and flailed back to shore and called it a hunt and went home.

Scary stuff, mother nature definitely needs to be respected. Rivers are probably one of the most underestimated things out there. Just messing around in random rivers up north here it always amazed me that even 1.5-2.5' stream/river is incredibly powerful. Add gear, cold, silt, fatigue and it definitely is a recipe for potential disaster.

I wish....no, it's a 300 weatherby. The vanguard back Country they switched out for me was a 300wby so they just sent the same caliber.

That would have been sweet if they would have given me a 6.5-300.....I should have asked.

I could probably re barrel it to the 6.5-300 and still be below the cost of the gun since I paid 989 for th vanguard backcountry and they just traded me across for the MKV.

Yeah thats a tough choice. The 6.5 is awesome but at the same time that 300 weatherby is a beast as well.

I'd be curious what that 6.5-300 would do with hand loads because the weatherby select ammo isn't using any of the g1 .600+ bc so the data they have with the rounds they choose start losing steam at range.

@bushman505 I was reading that the throat is completely gone in 600-700 rounds. 26 nosler is shot out in like 500 rounds.

It would be interesting to see what kind of life a Dracos straight jacket barrel would get.

Yeah rivers are dangerous for sure, I always work really hard to make sure I don't go morenthan waist deep weather it's crossing a river or when I'm fishing or anything. Even like 2 weeks ago I walked across one that was only about 18" deep and it was so cold we ended up stopping and making a fire and sitting there for like 30 minutes just getting our feet movin again.

It is a tough choice between 6.5-300 and the 300, I generally really like the 300wby, I think it's probably one of the more useful calibers they make, I also like the 257 and 240 weatherby cartridges for pronghorn hunting but the 300 makes a realmnice package. After that you're getting into the 340, 30-378, 378, etc and those are cool but not fun to shoot and very expensive to shoot.

Id imagine that after more people start playing with the 6.5-300 we will see what it's real potential is.

@bushman505 I was reading that the throat is completely gone in 600-700 rounds. 26 nosler is shot out in like 500 rounds.

It would be interesting to see what kind of life a Dracos straight jacket barrel would get.

I've read that too, those race car quarter bores are barrel burners for sure. If you don't reload though 600-700 rounds would cost some serious money lol....80 bucks a box x 35-40 boxes.....

I've read that too, those race car quarter bores are barrel burners for sure. If you don't reload though 600-700 rounds would cost some serious money lol....80 bucks a box x 35-40 boxes.....

Yeah true, if it's just a hunting rifle you'll confirm zero/get comfortable with it + hunt and maybe shoot 10-20 rounds a year.

I grabbed a few havalon piranta hunting knives, they are pretty awesome, theybuse scalpel blades and you just put a new one on when they dull.

I got 2 of them and a box of 100 extra blades (plus the 12 that come with each knife). I think these will save weight and bulk in my pack versus a full size knife.

My Dad just hooked me up, he showed up and gave me his weatherby PA-08 12 guage shotgun, nothing amazing, its only like a 400 dollar shotgun but I was about to buy a 12g hopefully get a goose with it and he just hooked me up so that saves me the cost of a gun.

He also gave me his old Orvis 9 foot 9 weight fly rod, this thing is probably like 10 years old but its an awesome all around addition to my/ fly rod quiver. I was using a 9 foot 10wt for kings and a 9 foot 5 for graylings. I told him I wanted a 9-9 and he was like "hold on" and gave it to me. Pretty sweet.

Probably the most functional gifts ive ever received.

I grabbed a few havalon piranta hunting knives, they are pretty awesome, theybuse scalpel blades and you just put a new one on when they dull.

I got 2 of them and a box of 100 extra blades (plus the 12 that come with each knife). I think these will save weight and bulk in my pack versus a full size knife.
I've enjoyed mine, I just wish I had gotten this one instead:

http://www.havalon.com/double-blade-hunting-knife-hydra-red-xt-hydbrbs.html

hydra-red-double-bladed-hunting-knife-1.gif

Instead of buying a Piranta and Baracuta separately.

I've enjoyed mine, I just wish I had gotten this one instead:

http://www.havalon.com/double-blade-hunting-knife-hydra-red-xt-hydbrbs.html

hydra-red-double-bladed-hunting-knife-1.gif

Instead of buying a Piranta and Baracuta separately.

Those are cool, they didnt have one at the store I was at though and my wife was getting grouchy from visiting hunting shops all day so I just grabbed a few pirantas.

I still cant believe how light they are, its going to save a ton of weight in my pack lol, my hunting knife up until now is like a custom 8/32nd thick 5" blade.....its badass but its a fucking beast.

Those are cool, they didnt have one at the store I was at though and my wife was getting grouchy from visiting hunting shops all day so I just grabbed a few pirantas.

I still cant believe how light they are, its going to save a ton of weight in my pack lol, my hunting knife up until now is like a custom 8/32nd thick 5" blade.....its badass but its a fucking beast.
When I hunt I have two blades. My Hogue for camp work/the big shit and a Benchmade Backcountry I think it's called? I want to add an SOG multi-tool to my kit though.

Marine I work out with has one and I used it today and I literally needed like ONE other tool in order to completely deconstruct his hunting rifle and replace the rings and shit.

That one other tool?

When I hunt I have two blades. My Hogue for camp work/the big shit and a Benchmade Backcountry I think it's called? I want to add an SOG multi-tool to my kit though.

Marine I work out with has one and I used it today and I literally needed like ONE other tool in order to completely deconstruct his hunting rifle and replace the rings and shit.

That one other tool?

SOG multi tools are nice, I just have a shitty old leatherman thats over 20 years old...like the most basiic leatherman they ever made.

SOG multi tools are nice, I just have a shitty old leatherman thats over 20 years old...like the most basiic leatherman they ever made.
My dad has a standard Leatherman that's about a decade old that I could probably use but I have sliced my finger open rather deep on it so I have an unfriendly relationship with said tool

My dad has a standard Leatherman that's about a decade old that I could probably use but I have sliced my finger open rather deep on it so I have an unfriendly relationship with said tool

Mine has dried peanut butter in the hinges lol. Its basically pliers with a knife, a flathead screw driver/bottle opener and a can opener. I think it has a file too.....why the fuck do you need to carry around a fucking file????

Back