What's Your Next Purchase? V5

They're one of the top essentially custom 1911 companies out there.

That's the only reason I would even bother mentioning their finance option

Oh I know there are folks out there who don't mind paying for a quality product. My brother and brother-in-law have both spent quite a bit on various custom firearms.

Did you see that nighthawk/korth collaboration revolver??? It looks pretty sweet. Gsg9 and That other elite French spec ops team use korth 357 mag revolvers. They are hard to find in the USA and insanely expensive if you do.

Yes I did, the mongoose model looks badass.

Oh I know there are folks out there who don't mind paying for a quality product. My brother and brother-in-law have both spent quite a bit on various custom firearms.
@bushman505 as well... I've always wanted a custom 1911 and while I know there are Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, and other companies out there all of them just look/feel like safe queens to me.

Something about the Nighthawks, for me at least has the allure of being custom while at the same
Time I wouldn't care if it got holster wear or dinged a little bit, in fact, I'd be proud of it did.

@bushman505 as well... I've always wanted a custom 1911 and while I know there are Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, and other companies out there all of them just look/feel like safe queens to me.

Something about the Nighthawks, for me at least has the allure of being custom while at the same
Time I wouldn't care if it got holster wear or dinged a little bit, in fact, I'd be proud of it did.

If you want to go "semi"-custom like Nighthawk then this guy does great work. Was employed at Wilson Combat for years.

http://guncrafterindustries.com/

@Chesten_Hesten

What .223 bullets have you and buddies found to be most accurate.

I plan on testing a variety of different factory loads. I may not buy/test all of these but they are on my radar so to speak. Is there anything I'm leaving out or should look at. Will just be doing factory ammo, no handloads atm.

Black Hills 68-77gr match & smk
Federal gmm 73 gr berger
Federal gmm 69 and 77gr smk
Hornady 73 eld & 75 match
Nosler 60 bt, 69 & 77 custom
HSM 55 blitzkings
Eagle eye 69 otm

So far I think I am planning on getting the fgmm berger, hsm blitz, eagle eye otm, Hornady eld, Nosler bt. Not sure what brand smk's or heavy match I want to try.

@Chesten_Hesten

What .223 bullets have you and buddies found to be most accurate.

I plan on testing a variety of different factory loads. I may not buy/test all of these but they are on my radar so to speak. Is there anything I'm leaving out or should look at. Will just be doing factory ammo, no handloads atm.

Black Hills 68-77gr match & smk
Federal gmm 73 gr berger
Federal gmm 69 and 77gr smk
Hornady 73 eld & 75 match
Nosler 60 bt, 69 & 77 custom
HSM 55 blitzkings
Eagle eye 69 otm

So far I think I am planning on getting the fgmm berger, hsm blitz, eagle eye otm, Hornady eld, Nosler bt. Not sure what brand smk's or heavy match I want to try.

I shot a couple matches with Blackhills (77gr Sierra) It was prolly 1996. I won one of the matches, I liked them. After that I switched from reloading 69s to 77s.

Other than 2 boxes of Blackhills everything I've shot has been a reload of my own.

Of those I've used

69grn Sierra Matchking, (they shoot fine with multiple powder primer combos.
77grn Sierra Matchking, This is what almost all Highpower shooters use fro 2-300 yards. Loaded to just fit in the magazine, they shoot great with a variety of powders from AA.2520, Hodgen H 380, Varget, IMR 4995, Vhitavouri N140, Any Primer but Federal, as those are soft.

Hornady 68grn Match (They were so-so) Can't remember if I tried 75gr Hornadys or not. Overal I judge their match bullets less consistent to Sierra.

60grn Nosler Ballistic tip, (Great for Coyotes)
60gran Sierra FB Hollowpoint, Good on Hogs up close, or placed shots out to 150. They sometimes punch through Coyotes, Hence the nudge to Nosler for them.

That's it. I personally wouldn't buy 55grn anything anymore unless I was buying those whitebox winchers rounds with the 45grn bullets. Those where good for whacking crows.

A good barrel will shoot most any of the above rounds really well.

My experience is if I get a barrel that feels like its finicky about the load, I'll chunk it and get one I don't have to dick with for it to shoot good.

Don't know if this helps too much in your case, but that's all I got.

24.5grs of any of those powders is about the standard charge for rifle length barrels.

And By Far Vhitavouri is the cleanest burning of all those powder bar none. A consideration I feel for gas guns and suppressors.

WhiteOak has a reload page with loads Ol what's his name uses.

http://precision.whiteoakarmament.com/info-reloading.html

And He kicks Ass. (mind you he's not loading for velocity only for the accuracy he's looking for)

Champions Choice has few different brands of ammo, not sure if price is best:

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=CategoryBody&c=APRCCH

Last edited:
I shot a couple matches with Blackhills (77gr Sierra) It was prolly 1996. I won one of the matches, I liked them. After that I switched from reloading 69s to 77s.

Other than 2 boxes of Blackhills everything I've shot has been a reload of my own.

Of those I've used

69grn Sierra Matchking, (they shoot fine with multiple powder primer combos.
77grn Sierra Matchking, This is what almost all Highpower shooters use fro 2-300 yards. Loaded to just fit in the magazine, they shoot great with a variety of powders from AA.2520, Hodgen H 380, Varget, IMR 4995, Vhitavouri N140, Any Primer but Federal, as those are soft.

Hornady 68grn Match (They were so-so) Can't remember if I tried 75gr Hornadys or not. Overal I judge their match bullets less consistent to Sierra.

60grn Nosler Ballistic tip, (Great for Coyotes)
60gran Sierra FB Hollowpoint, Good on Hogs up close, or placed shots out to 150. They sometimes punch through Coyotes, Hence the nudge to Nosler for them.

That's it. I personally wouldn't buy 55grn anything anymore unless I was buying those whitebox winchers rounds with the 45grn bullets. Those where good for whacking crows.

A good barrel will shoot most any of the above rounds really well.

My experience is if I get a barrel that feels like its finicky about the load, I'll chunk it and get one I don't have to dick with for it to shoot good.

Don't know if this helps too much in your case, but that's all I got.

24.5grs of any of those powders is about the standard charge for rifle length barrels.

And By Far Vhitavouri is the cleanest burning of all those powder bar none. A consideration I feel for gas guns and suppressors.

WhiteOak has a reload page with loads Ol what's his name uses.

http://precision.whiteoakarmament.com/info-reloading.html

And He kicks Ass. (mind you he's not loading for velocity only for the accuracy he's looking for)

Champions Choice has few different brands of ammo, not sure if price is best:

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=CategoryBody&c=APRCCH

So what I plan on doing is 100 yard and 200 yard testing( 4 groups, 5 each) on everything I buy. From there, the best loads will see 300+ later on.

The reason I am trying the 55gr blitzkings is that I've read handloaders get tremendous accuracy from them at 100.

I'll get into hand loading later on. Too much money and time investment atm.

I plan on testing black hills 5.56 77gr tmk out to 700-900+ at some point.

So what I plan on doing is 100 yard and 200 yard testing( 4 groups, 5 each) on everything I buy. From there, the best loads will see 300+ later on.

The reason I am trying the 55gr blitzkings is that I've read handloaders get tremendous accuracy from them at 100.

I'll get into hand loading later on. Too much money and time investment atm.

I plan on testing black hills 5.56 77gr tmk out to 700-900+ at some point.

I had barrel chambered up with a short lead, 12 twist once for lighter bullets like 50s 55s, etc. It shot those Alright. Barrels chambered for 69s and 77s usually shoot 60s well enough, plus the bullets are better in the wind.

What I ran into all the time with 223s (for hunting scenarios) was ultimately wanting more ass to the round. Crows at 175 yards in wind with the 223, turned into 250 yards with a 22-250. That sort've thing.

For plinking the 77s are alright passed 600, but they're going to start feeling like shooting a 22 rimfire at 200 yards.

All in what level of accuracy at what distance you're comfortable living with given the amount of horsepower you get with a 223.

For a knocking holes in a paper target, they're fine at 600. For killing shit, I don't shoot at anything past 300 with one.

Overall I still really dig a 308 with 125grn Ballistic tips. 3190fps

Shoots flat, accurate, light recoil, barrel lasts a long time.

Plenty wallop on the business end.

Preferences, lots of just preferences... Gnome say'n?

I had barrel chambered up with a short lead, 12 twist once for lighter bullets like 50s 55s, etc. It shot those Alright. Barrels chambered for 69s and 77s usually shoot 60s well enough, plus the bullets are better in the wind.

What I ran into all the time with 223s (for hunting scenarios) was ultimately wanting more ass to the round. Crows at 175 yards in wind with the 223, turned into 250 yards with a 22-250. That sort've thing.

For plinking the 77s are alright passed 600, but they're going to start feeling like shooting a 22 rimfire at 200 yards.

All in what level of accuracy at what distance you're comfortable living with given the amount of horsepower you get with a 223.

For a knocking holes in a paper target, they're fine at 600. For killing shit, I don't shoot at anything past 300 with one.

Overall I still really dig a 308 with 125grn Ballistic tips. 3190fps

Shoots flat, accurate, light recoil, barrel lasts a long time.

Plenty wallop on the business end.

Preferences, lots of just preferences... Gnome say'n?

Yeah I have no intention of hunting with this particular rifle. Just a target, paper and steel gun.

The 5.56 77gr TMK has a G1 of .420 and should stay super out to 1000.

I've seen tests of modern 55(like blitzking) through 1:7 and it's stabilized fine and will make tight groups. We'll see.

That seems to just be for the milling/customization work . . . right? Doesn't include the actual slide?
I think so but I saw online they're talking about being able to buy slides direct from them. I shot them an email about it.

Feel like VDI has the best deal with their slide as it comes with a match grade barrel, optic cut if you want an Xs Big Dot sights.

Absolutely there's a lot of combos that work. Not denying.

and take those bullets and drive them from a 22-250 and they're even mo betta.

I remember old benchrest shooters talking up 308s with 1/14 and 1/16 twist barrels shooting 168s and 180s and getting fantastic groups out to 200.

I myself got great accuracy with 125grn 30 cal bullets from 1/10 twist barrels.

(yet to try 110grs, as they're a bit short))

50-55gr bullets in ARs do get more pushed around the farther out past 100 you go, so concentration and effort shooting tends to need to be greater than the heavier stuff.

Being lazy and keeping things simple trends towards the 60+grn stuff for most.

I think a 50grn hollowpoint in a 223 would make a great indoor murder weapon. Better than any 9mm.

I get a lot more Suppressor blow back with 77grn rounds from my Carbine than rifle so I like the 60s in the carbine. (more opinions)...

Absolutely there's a lot of combos that work. Not denying.

and take those bullets and drive them from a 22-250 and they're even mo betta.

I remember old benchrest shooters talking up 308s with 1/14 and 1/16 twist barrels shooting 168s and 180s and getting fantastic groups out to 200.

I myself got great accuracy with 125grn 30 cal bullets from 1/10 twist barrels.

(yet to try 110grs, as they're a bit short))

50-55gr bullets in ARs do get more pushed around the farther out past 100 you go, so concentration and effort shooting tends to need to be greater than the heavier stuff.

Being lazy and keeping things simple trends towards the 60+grn stuff for most.

I think a 50grn hollowpoint in a 223 would make a great indoor murder weapon. Better than any 9mm.

I get a lot more Suppressor blow back with 77grn rounds from my Carbine than rifle so I like the 60s in the carbine. (more opinions)...

Yup that's why I intend on trying a variety of stuff and seeing what works best for me.

Don't have any at the moment. Have considered looking at pelicans, etc. Can get them at a decent price from most of my distributors.

The pelicans I've seen/friends have are pretty huge. I don't think I've seen their smallest rifle model in person though. I'll try to see it in person but wanted other options.

Back