What's Your Next Purchase? V5

My dad has a pair of those and they are solid. I've had vortex and leupold, but now that I'm actually living in Alaska, in like 9 months I'll have residency hunting rights so sheep and goat, over the counter licenses, no ma distort guides....I also found out that if I want I could get a position in the lake and peninsula bourough and they have subsistance rights so I could hunt year round.
So you need something pretty specialized then.

So you need something pretty specialized then.

I don't know about specialized but something more than a basic pair. Just something with awesoeme light transmition, something durable...like something with a good rubber coating.

True, I'm interested if Leupold and Vortex or that matter will start futzing with the 30 and above ranges at some point.

I know MOA is "the thing" for how to measure shots at range and make adjustments but there HAS to be a reason that the military uses MIL measurements and adjustments. It's a big reason my scope for my 6.5 will have both. I want to fiddle with it.

I know part of the reason for MOA is at 100 yards it's super simple to make adjustments. I ALSO know however with mil dots anything OVER 100 yards the adjustments are also very VERY simple... it's as simple as counting the fucking dots on the reticle.

I want to be able to consistently get 1"-2" groups from 300 yards (the longest range in my area). Long distance shooting has always fascinated me. I know my folks would not be a fan of me spending what could be the equivalent of a down payment on a brand new Super Duty for a rifle and scope BUT I bet my dad would be more down with it if I told him what my goal is as he'd get to participate in it.

OOOOOO, the Razor HD Gen II comes with MRAD adjustments and MRAD reticle.

Well with moa you can finer tune your zero.

You are talking .26"(1/4 moa) vs .36"(mrad) or 4 adjustments(moa) vs 3(mrad) adjustments per inch at 100. So at 500 yards for example each mrad adjustment click is 1.8" and moa is 1.2".

So that math to use moa on mil scopes is somewhat easy. So 1 mil at 100 yards is 3.6". With a 1/10 mil adjustment scope it is obviously 10 clicks. Well moa is .26" so 14 clicks is almost exactly(3.64 to be exact, so .04" over) 1 mil.

They use it because it is easy and fast. For bench shooting without doing random range estimates I don't think it matters. The finer adjustments may or may not interest you.

I don't know about specialized but something more than a basic pair. Just something with awesoeme light transmition, something durable...like something with a good rubber coating.

I used some game and fish guys Swarovski binos for a couple minutes. They looked great, glass was very clear and bright. Said they were very expensive lol.

I used some game and fish guys Swarovski binos for a couple minutes. They looked great, glass was very clear and bright. Said they were very expensive lol.

Yeah Swarovski stuff is very nice....and you pay for it. The big thing is that I want something that's not just good for sheep hunting but for being in the flats when the light isn't great.

Something in the 1k dollar range would be good. I don't think there's many Swarovski, Leica, maven options for 1k.

Maybe zeiss, trijicon higher end vortex etc.

Last edited:
Yeah Swarovski stuff is very nice....and you pay for it. The big thing is that I want something that's not just good for sheep hunting but for being in the flats when the light isn't great.

Something in the 1k dollar range would be good. I don't think there's many Swarovski, Leica, maven options for 1k.

Maybe zeiss, trijicon higher end vortex etc.

Definitely look out on dvor for stuff. I'm pretty sure I've seen zeiss victory binos for like 1200.

I'd spend over 1k for a sweet deal like that.

DVOR actually has quite a few at a great price. Their victory price isn't great atm. It could have been a 1 time thing for that price. I've seen that before with some of the high end stuff on there, where it randomly goes for crazy cheap.

However cabelas actually has a "decent"(good but still expensive) price.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Zeis...gclid=CIvJ78Lq3tECFQuifgodH-cDeQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Others

http://www.dvor.com/vortex-razor-hd-8x42-binoculars.html

http://www.dvor.com/minox-hg-10x52-br-waterproof-binocular-62192.html

http://www.dvor.com/zeiss-10x42-conquest-hd-waterproof-binoculars.html

Those razor HDs would be cool. Not sure about minox, I've never used anything by them or known anybody who has.

Zeiss is good shit, a bit mainstream though lol. Sounds dumb, everybody up here has zeiss. I used to really want zeiss stuff, I'm not opposed to it but I need to look into them
More.

Well with moa you can finer tune your zero.

You are talking .26"(1/4 moa) vs .36"(mrad) or 4 adjustments(moa) vs 3(mrad) adjustments per inch at 100. So at 500 yards for example each mrad adjustment click is 1.8" and moa is 1.2".

So that math to use moa on mil scopes is somewhat easy. So 1 mil at 100 yards is 3.6". With a 1/10 mil adjustment scope it is obviously 10 clicks. Well moa is .26" so 14 clicks is almost exactly(3.64 to be exact, so .04" over) 1 mil.

They use it because it is easy and fast. For bench shooting without doing random range estimates I don't think it matters. The finer adjustments may or may not interest you.
I'm also admittedly probably going to go with Mil as a former Marine is going to help me learn. And it's what he's used to.

Interesting new carbon barrel from black stone firearms. 416R sub moa. Definitely keeping an eye out for these. I really like Proof Research's marbled carbon though.

Black-Stone-Firearms-Carbon-Fiber-Barrel-1.jpg

Black-Stone-Firearms-Carbon-Fiber-Barrel-2.jpg

Black-Stone-Firearms-Carbon-Fiber-Barrel-3.jpg

Last edited:
I want one of those Cold Steel Tomahawks....

My wish list is getting too long.

Lol what do you need that for???
Fucking around with a friend in Utah in a couple weeks and going to be using my AR for hunting so I want something other than my backpack to help carry some ammo and shit.

I'm also an American so... well... I can?

Back