What's Your Next Purchase? V5

The first episode they scared away about 2 females and 1 bull by whacking brush trying to get them to peek up.

2 Seasons of his show is on Netlix. I watched them all in a single day.

I need to get Netflix. I had moved abroad when that show came out, I've heard that guy on the JRE a few times though.

I try to catch Meat Eater when I remember it's on . . . but have yet to set the series to record. Ugh. Too many shows.

If you guys have subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu, etc. I recommend spending the extra $40 on a lifetime license for PlayOn. You can add dozens of other channels/apps and download pretty much all of your shows. Keep in mind that as usual, many of the apps require a cable subscription that includes the channel you're hoping to record.

@bushman505

Have you heard of this?

Kimber Subalpine

subalpine_main_5.png

Arguably the world’s best production elk rifle, the Subalpine combines all the best Kimber features to create a lightweight, stainless steel and carbon fiber package wrapped in GORE Optifade (Subalpine pattern) that guarantees performance.

• Approximate weight (pounds/ounces): 4/13
  • Overall length (inches): 41.25
.30-06
  • Approximate weight (pounds/ounces): 5/5
  • Overall length (inches): 43.75
.280 Ackley Improvedo

.300wsm

• Approximate weight (pounds/ounces): 5/12
  • Overall length (inches): 43.5

.300wm
  • Approximate weight (pounds/ounces): 6/7
  • Overall length (inches): 46.5

@bushman505

Have you heard of this?

Kimber Subalpine

subalpine_main_5.png

• Approximate weight (pounds/ounces): 4/13
  • Overall length (inches): 41.25
.30-06
.280 Ackley Improvedo

.300wsm

• Approximate weight (pounds/ounces): 5/12
  • Overall length (inches): 43.5

.300wm
  • Approximate weight (pounds/ounces): 6/7
  • Overall length (inches): 46.5

Yeah man and I want one. Seem like an ascent without a muzzle brake. Not sure I'd want one in 300wm but 30-06 would be sweet.

I've been shooting a kimber montana 308 lately and it's actually a really amazing gun, the trigger is as good as any timney I've tried and the stock as nice as any mccmilan ive ever handled, I've found a few loads that easily go like .8" with a leupold vx3i.

Kimber makes some absolutely killer rifles.

Yeah man and I want one. Seem like an ascent without a muzzle brake. Not sure I'd want one in 300wm but 30-06 would be sweet.

I've been shooting a kimber montana 308 lately and it's actually a really amazing gun, the trigger is as good as any timney I've tried and the stock as nice as any mccmilan ive ever handled, I've found a few loads that easily go like .8" with a leupold vx3i.

Kimber makes some absolutely killer rifles.

How do you feel about the 300wsm. With Nosler 190gr accubond long range it could be a 700+ elk gun, 1600fpe at 700. Definitely could take deer to 800+.

Found a local place that builds barrels. Gonna check with them to get a barrel. Support local and such.

Anyone hear of Benchmark Barrels?

How do you feel about the 300wsm. With Nosler 190gr accubond long range it could be a 700+ elk gun, 1600fpe at 700. Definitely could take deer to 800+.

I don't have a strong feeling on 300wsm one way or another, I know it's a well proven round that is well regarded. I have a friend that really likes it and at this point ammo availability is so so. I guess my first feeling when I look at the short magnums is: why not their full size counterpart? I know you can lighten the gun up some by going to ththe short magnum but you don't lose recoil, you reduce the variety of ammo availability to you (as the smaller cartridge allows less powder) but lastly, aren't the short magnums sort of known for having feeding issues?

Also, can you get short mag ammo at a Walmart??? I don't know....can you get 300wm ammo at a Walmart??? I also don't know, I've never tried but it seems more likely.

All that being said, I should probably bite the bullet and get over my irrational fear of not being able to find ammo. 300wsm is a proven round.

Last edited:
If only I had learned CAD and/or could afford a decent CNC machine.

If only I had learned CAD and/or could afford a decent CNC machine.

You could probably learn it fairly easily and learn machining at a local community college. I know a guy who did that and he came into some $$$ bought himself a lathe and a mill I believe....the dude can just whip up supressors in an afternoon.

He actually had a big thread on it in another forum where he sort of built a precision rifle because he was going to some long range shooting clinic, and he decided he wanted to do the clinic suppressed so he just made a suppressor.

Pretty badass. And he learned it all at a local community college.

You could probably learn it fairly easily and learn machining at a local community college. I know a guy who did that and he came into some $$$ bought himself a lathe and a mill I believe....the dude can just whip up supressors in an afternoon.

He actually had a big thread on it in another forum where he sort of built a precision rifle because he was going to some long range shooting clinic, and he decided he wanted to do the clinic suppressed so he just made a suppressor.

Pretty badass. And he learned it all at a local community college.
Yeah, CAD isn't THAT hard to learn honestly. I took 2 trimesters of it at high school my senior year and probably could go back to making shit in it pretty quick.

I had a dragster frame 3-d printed (a small one admittedly).

I don't have a strong feeling on 300wsm one way or another, I know it's a well proven round that is well regarded. I have a friend that really likes it and at this point ammo availability is so so. I guess my first feeling when I look at the short magnums is: why not their full size counterpart? I know you can lighten the gun up some by going to ththe short magnum but you don't lose recoil, you reduce the variety of ammo availability to you (as the smaller cartridge allows less powder) but lastly, aren't the short magnums sort of known for having feeding issues?

Also, can you get short mag ammo at a Walmart??? I don't know....can you get 300wm ammo at a Walmart??? I also don't know, I've never tried but it seems more likely.

All that being said, I should probably bite the bullet and get over my irrational fear of not being able to find ammo. 300wsm is a proven round.

Yeah, I understand some of those for sure.

But you are talking about over 1/2 lb saved(over wm) and out preforming 30-06 by 200 yards.

Also in the 150-165gr bullets if you planned on doing closer hunts with it, it can actually have more fps than 300 wm but with a lighter gun that has a bit less recoil. Something about case and powder wizardry lol. Like the 150gr ttsx wsm is 25 fps and 165gr ttsx wsm is 10 fps faster than win mag. Once you move up to 180-200 the wm is better.

If you are curious to see the vor tx velocities.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/ammunition/vor-tx-rifle/

Also feeding issues depends on the rifle. Kimber has a good track record with wsm from what I've read. The problem is smaller mags found in Remington and some others apparently.

Yeah, I understand some of those for sure.

But you are talking about over 1/2 lb saved(over wm) and out preforming 30-06 by 200 yards.

Also in the 150-165gr bullets if you planned on doing closer hunts with it, it can actually have more fps than 300 wm but with a lighter gun that has a bit less recoil. Something about case and powder wizardry lol. Like the 150gr ttsx wsm is 25 fps and 165gr ttsx wsm is 10 fps faster than win mag. Once you move up to 180-200 the wm is better.

If you are curious to see the vor tx velocities.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/ammunition/vor-tx-rifle/

Also feeding issues depends on the rifle. Kimber has a good track record with wsm from what I've read. The problem is smaller mags found in Remington and some others apparently.

I should probably stop being so old school, im still hesitant to get into new calibers because and I'm sure I've said it here before, but a few years back I was always chasing bigger and bigger magnums, I spent thousands of dollars on weatherby magnums, ammo, range time and eventually started backing down back to more conventional calibers.

The issue is that aside from hunting, I do like taking my nice rifles to the range to shoot just for fun and practice, I even did a long distance race/target event with one of my hunting rifles and got 2nd out of like 25 people and they all trained specifically for the event.

The issue was that every time I'd take a 340wby mag to the range, isn't spend like 90 dollars on ammo, I do alright these days. It 90 bucks a weekend plus whatever other ammo I shoot in other rifles/pistols was adding up to like 6-700 dollars a month to shoot. I stopped shooting those specialty calibers and sold off most of them except for a few hat had sentimental value.

My dad goes and shoots weatherby stuff all the time but he's retired and financially set, I like the 06, 270 and 308 because I can actually get out and shoot a box or 2 on a Sunday afternoon and not feel bad about dumping a days salary down the range lol.

If I was going to get something new though, 300wsm would be a front runner. I'll check it out more and look at those tables, thanks for posting that.

I should probably stop being so old school, im still hesitant to get into new calibers because and I'm sure I've said it here before, but a few years back I was always chasing bigger and bigger magnums, I spent thousands of dollars on weatherby magnums, ammo, range time and eventually started backing down back to more conventional calibers.

The issue is that aside from hunting, I do like taking my nice rifles to the range to shoot just for fun and practice, I even did a long distance race/target event with one of my hunting rifles and got 2nd out of like 25 people and they all trained specifically for the event.

The issue was that every time I'd take a 340wby mag to the range, isn't spend like 90 dollars on ammo, I do alright these days. It 90 bucks a weekend plus whatever other ammo I shoot in other rifles/pistols was adding up to like 6-700 dollars a month to shoot. I stopped shooting those specialty calibers and sold off most of them except for a few hat had sentimental value.

My dad goes and shoots weatherby stuff all the time but he's retired and financially set, I like the 06, 270 and 308 because I can actually get out and shoot a box or 2 on a Sunday afternoon and not feel bad about dumping a days salary down the range lol.

If I was going to get something new though, 300wsm would be a front runner. I'll check it out more and look at those tables, thanks for posting that.

Definitely makes sense. The addiction is real.

Well if you were interested in the wsm, the cheapest quick search was $1.08 a round. Not the cheapest gun to shoot but not devastating either. Would fill that lightweight gun that could drop deer at distance though.

http://vizardsgunsandammo.com/fed-pwr-shok-300wsm-180-sp-20/

Nosler 190 ABLR info

https://fusiontables.googleusercont...+col4+=+60106+order+by+col0+asc&tmplt=1&cpr=1

Definitely makes sense. The addiction is real.

Well if you were interested in the wsm, the cheapest quick search was $1.08 a round. Not the cheapest gun to shoot but not devastating either. Would fill that lightweight gun that could drop deer at distance though.

http://vizardsgunsandammo.com/fed-pwr-shok-300wsm-180-sp-20/

Nosler 190 ABLR info

https://fusiontables.googleusercontent.com/fusiontables/embedviz?viz=CARD&q=select+*+from+1C5o2xk_hWmBsTsTUWwoZ262XZOtOsNloF2QDW28+where+col4+=+60106+order+by+col0+asc&tmplt=1&cpr=1

A dollar a round is fine and I could probably get set up to reload it. I mean if I went to the range and shot a box a week, that's just 20 bucks and perfectly acceptable.

Its funny the other day I was drinking a few beers with some hunting friends and they were asking me why I get animals every year and I basically asked them: how often do you shoot? How often do you do training hikes with a loaded pack? How often do you go do scouting trips to places you plan to hunt?

Their answer was basically that they start preparing and "getting in shape" a month or 2 before the season. I had to explain to them it's a year round thing that culminates with the actual hunt.

A dollar a round is fine and I could probably get set up to reload it. I mean if I went to the range and shot a box a week, that's just 20 bucks and perfectly acceptable.

Its funny the other day I was drinking a few beers with some hunting friends and they were asking me why I get animals every year and I basically asked them: how often do you shoot? How often do you do training hikes with a loaded pack? How often do you go do scouting trips to places you plan to hunt?

Their answer was basically that they start preparing and "getting in shape" a month or 2 before the season. I had to explain to them it's a year round thing that culminates with the actual hunt.
Tell them to follow Cameron Hanes

Tell them to follow Cameron Hanes

Lol yeah. He's a pretty rare individual running 200 mile races and training his ass off. Most people can't do that not for physical reasons but work related stuff. I mean the dude has a 150k a year job and a wife with similar income, now that he's famous he gets to take time off work and they don't care. Not just that but with books, endorsements and stuff like that I'm guessing money isn't something that worries him lol. I also really really doubt he pays for any of his equipment.

My friends are just sort of lazy, we all work but they just get fat and out of shape all year and try to kick it into high gear a few months out. I like to lift and run year round (no 200 mile races for me though, I have done some 50 mile trail runs before).

I still remember in one trip to Alaska there was a guy who had a new rifle, new gear and had mentioned how it had taken him 5 years to save enough $$$ for the trip but after the first day he was done, he couldn't hunt anymore, his knees were hurt, back was bothering him, blisters on his feet. The guy clearly should have lost 50+ lbs and it was clear that he just basically got off the couch and went to Alaska. I felt bad for him he was crying and shit.

Nice gear is cool but if you aren't fit enough to be in the mountains none of that gear is going to help you.

Sounds about right, as with anything practice and prep helps lead to success.

Sounds about right, as with anything practice and prep helps lead to success.

the biggest complaint I've ever heard from guides isn't about the gear or the rifle, it's always the fitness of the clients that make or break a hunt. Guys showing up who can't hike or carry heavy packs. Ruins things every time.

Back