What's Your Next Purchase? V5

I'd love to do it as an M40 clone but what I've seen from Boyd's and such is you get the stock but there will always be a tiny amount of sanding and bedding you'll need to do to truly make the thing badass.

What I have read/seen of the MDT LSS you can basically just take your barrel and action, drop it in, screw it in to the proper torque level.. and then you're good to go.

That's how I understand the chassis things to be, just torque it down properly and your ready to go.

Probably not, the most popular stock among the pros is manners. They might laugh it not being 6mm or 6.5 lol

Manners-Tactical-Stocks.jpg

Manners stocks are nice, if I do that tikka build that's probably what I'd put it in.

22 Nosler

The 22 Nosler yields nearly 25 percent more capacity than the 223 Rem/5.56 NATO, making the round capable of pushing a 55-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet at 3,350 fps out of an AR-15 fitted with an 18-inch barrel and a 77-grain Custom Competition bullet at 2,950 fps.

Requires a barrel swap, uses standard bcg and requires 6.8 spc mags.

I was hoping for a bit more tbh. Hornady Superformance isn't that far away.

22 Nosler

The 22 Nosler yields nearly 25 percent more capacity than the 223 Rem/5.56 NATO, making the round capable of pushing a 55-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet at 3,350 fps out of an AR-15 fitted with an 18-inch barrel and a 77-grain Custom Competition bullet at 2,950 fps.

Requires a barrel swap, uses standard bcg and requires 6.8 spc mags.

I was hoping for a bit more tbh. Hornady Superformance isn't that far away.
The simple fact I need a completely separate upper just to get 25% more (according to the manufacturer of said bullet) performance out of it.... Not worth it IMO and I like using Nosler bullets for reloads. That's just me though.

It's probably because of my ability but I have taken basic Federal American Eagle and pumped that out of my Weatherby and then thrown the high-end Nosler and Hornady super match grade stuff and have never seen a huge performance difference but like I said, that could potentially be down to my ability levels.

If I'm going through the trouble of buying another barrel and mags then I'm building in a different caliber period, not just a hotter 223 load.

The simple fact I need a completely separate upper just to get 25% more (according to the manufacturer of said bullet) performance out of it.... Not worth it IMO and I like using Nosler bullets for reloads. That's just me though.

It's probably because of my ability but I have taken basic Federal American Eagle and pumped that out of my Weatherby and then thrown the high-end Nosler and Hornady super match grade stuff and have never seen a huge performance difference but like I said, that could potentially be down to my ability levels.

With hunting ammo, the difference is usually
More about how well the bullet stays together.

I know what you mean, I used to shoot federal red box out of my rifles to practice with but for hunting I like a more reliable bullet that is sure to retain more of its weight.

With hunting ammo, the difference is usually
More about how well the bullet stays together.

I know what you mean, I used to shoot federal red box out of my rifles to practice with but for hunting I like a more reliable bullet that is sure to retain more of its weight.
I'll admit I use Barnes Vor-Tx to hunt but that's at the suggestion of a friend as he uses it to take down elk.

I'll admit I use Barnes Vor-Tx to hunt but that's at the suggestion of a friend as he uses it to take down elk.

I like Barnes bullets for hunting. They retain more weight than most other bullets.

I've been messing with a 308 more lately because I wanted a short action for a mountain rifle. The 150g ttsx is my new thing for the kimber montana.

I'll still take an 06 with 200g for moose though.

Last edited:
I like Barnes bullets for hunting. They retain more weight than most other bullets.

I've been messing with a 308 more lately because I wanted a short action for a mountain rifle. The 150g ttsx is my new thing for the kimber montana.

I'll still take an 06 with 200g for moose though.
I have a friend that only uses magnum level stuff for moose simply due to the size of the animal.

I have a friend that only uses magnum level stuff for moose simply due to the size of the animal.

Lots of people do, I've only shot 2. One was with a 270 and the other was with a bow. The next one though will be with a 375.

Moose shots are generally not that far away and moose are so big that it's easy to hit a vital area.

Lots of people do, I've only shot 2. One was with a 270 and the other was with a bow. The next one though will be with a 375.

Moose shots are generally not that far away and moose are so big that it's easy to hit a vital area.

It's amazing how close moose seem to let you get. I've only ever seen one in Yosemite, and some dumbass tourist got within about 25 feet of a huge bull. I was fully expecting to watch him get gored but the bull just went about his business without a care.

It's amazing how close moose seem to let you get. I've only ever seen one in Yosemite, and some dumbass tourist got within about 25 feet of a huge bull. I was fully expecting to watch him get gored but the bull just went about his business without a care.

Yeah that's usually how you kill them, scrape trees and make noise and they walk right in. I've even seen people take big paper cut outs of other moose and wave them around to attract moose.

Yeah that's usually how you kill them, scrape trees and make noise and they walk right in. I've even seen people take big paper cut outs of other moose and wave them around to attract moose.
Watch the first episode of Meat Eater that is on Netflix. Moose let you get close but also are skittish as fuck.

And they're powerful as Steven Rinella shot one, in a decent spot but it still charged him:

Watch the first episode of Meat Eater that is on Netflix. Moose let you get close but also are skittish as fuck.

And they're powerful as Steven Rinella shot one, in a decent spot but it still charged him:

IVe my seen 1 or 2 meat eater shows, one he was going after elk in Montana and didn't get one, the other was the blue berry bear one.

I guess it all depends, when I killed one with a bow, it wasn't being skittish at all, the one I shot with the rifle I was well under 75yds.

Here's an article about the biggest moose ever killed.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/g...12/02/top-40-biggest-moose-ever-taken/#page-2

I'm pretty convinced at this point that with modern ammo and good shot placement you don't really need a magnum, I've heard of lots of them being killed in the bouroughs in Alaska with 223 and 22-250 fairly regularity.

The only reason I'll be using a 375 when I go next time is that I'll be solo so I won't have a buddy with a 12g to get my back. And plus you don't really have to cover "mountainous" terrain to go after moose so no reason to take a 6lb rifle.

That was a crazy video, he almost got trampled by that thing.

Yellowstone, not Yosemite. Whoops

lol I knew what you meant. I have a memory of seeing pretty much that exact same thing at Yellowstone on a family trip when I was probably like 12-13 years old....some dumbass had hopped a wood fence and had a camera.

IVe my seen 1 or 2 meat eater shows, one he was going after elk in Montana and didn't get one, the other was the blue berry bear one.

I guess it all depends, when I killed one with a bow, it wasn't being skittish at all, the one I shot with the rifle I was well under 75yds.

Here's an article about the biggest moose ever killed.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/g...12/02/top-40-biggest-moose-ever-taken/#page-2

I'm pretty convinced at this point that with modern ammo and good shot placement you don't really need a magnum, I've heard of lots of them being killed in the bouroughs in Alaska with 223 and 22-250 fairly regularity.

The only reason I'll be using a 375 when I go next time is that I'll be solo so I won't have a buddy with a 12g to get my back. And plus you don't really have to cover "mountainous" terrain to go after moose so no reason to take a 6lb rifle.
The first episode they scared away about 2 females and 1 bull by whacking brush trying to get them to peek up.

That was a crazy video, he almost got trampled by that thing.
2 Seasons of his show is on Netlix. I watched them all in a single day.

Back