What's your honest reaction to drilling or sparring with a woman?

I did some TKD sparring with a friend's daughter recently.
She's tall, taller than me, with long legs.

I couldn't get close. It was high kicks and gi swishes with crisp technique.

Fast and accurate. If she puts her foot to someone's chin, and she easily could, it's lights out. Kid's no fucking joke.

In boxing I tailor my sparring to their skill level. I once had to do wrestling with a professional MMA star and it was great. I had never done wrestling in my life but getting sweating with an MMA star was great cause she good looking.

I'm often struck by how many people struggle to grasp the concept of rolling to your partner's attributes. There's a female purple belt in my gym, and when she and I roll I know it's going to be a scrappy double guard pull battle with lots of spider and lapel stuff; that's just where our games intersect. It's more fun and challenging to engage in that kid of battle, and if I can win on those terms then it is far more rewarding and instructive to my overall game.

Out of curiosity, how tall and heavy are you?
6'2 200lbs.

Hell, my first ever sub was against a 120lb girl with an ezekiel choke from mount.

In all seriousness, in the last 2 months I have rolled with two different girls wearing white belts, who were no more than 120lbs, and both were monsters. Easily on par with purple belt men the same size. They both train at the same club and had extremely high level de la riva guards and guard retention. Both were also extremely technical with their passing. One almost put me to sleep with a bow and arrow. (I let her start the roll with my back.)

Im like Berimbolow. I try to keep the score tied and gas them the fuck out. Its a good challenge for me, it gives them chances to move.

-If she's experienced and capable?
-If she's less experienced but not a total spaz?
-If she's smaller than you?
-If she's a total newb spaz?

Anecdotes welcome. I'm curious.

I act like it's just another day at the office. I feel a little awkward when I push off on a titty or something. It's only weird if you make it weird. Other than that, it's just another day at the office.

Going to have to disagree with the majority here. Every girl I've rolled with has been a serious training partner. I don't hold back.

I hold back as much as I would going against smaller dudes. But I don't go full blown gentle. The women I've trained with absolutely hate it when guys go easy on them. So I don't go ADCC on them, but I do roll with them the same way I'd roll with a smaller guy.

I act like it's just another day at the office. I feel a little awkward when I push off on a titty or something. It's only weird if you make it weird. Other than that, it's just another day at the office.

your office sounds more fun than mine

I don't mind rolling with them. I just don't use power, and sometimes I let them setup subs and work my defense. I work transitions. I try to match their speed. There are ways to really get a lot of benefit out of rolling with women.

Not sure about all the macho attitudes here. You can always train your B or C game, and keep things playful. Training with women made me progress in different ways, especially watching experienced women do things differently since they are smaller.

Plus the boob bonus. Yeah sometimes I like it, so what.

What do you mean by B or C game? If you mean like plan b or c, IE new techniques you haven't tried before sure, but I suggest not going out of your way to make errors lest you start building habits

-If she's experienced and capable?
-If she's less experienced but not a total spaz?
-If she's smaller than you?
-If she's a total newb spaz?

Anecdotes welcome. I'm curious.
I start out treating them equally but often times they don't understand how to actually protect themselves at all times and do clumsy shit. So I end up babying most women.

Fast and accurate. If she puts her foot to someone's chin, and she easily could, it's lights out. Kid's no fucking joke.

I hear these stories from time to time but never ever see these killer women in real life. And if I do it was way overblown and she is at best mediocre. In ground fighting ok but stand up not once in many years. Maybe your story is true but its very hard to believe.

Regarding training I have no problem at all training with women. Basic concept should always be to train at an intensity both can manage.

I hear these stories from time to time but never ever see these killer women in real life. And if I do it was way overblown and she is at best mediocre. In ground fighting ok but stand up not once in many years. Maybe your story is true but its very hard to believe.

Regarding training I have no problem at all training with women. Basic concept should always be to train at an intensity both can manage.
She's fast and accurate. I didn't say Olympic caliber.
But I guess those women are slow and sloppy since YOU'VE never seen them.

I'm a bigger guys, so when I roll with women, I go "hard" (not deliberately making errors) but aim to use virtually no energy and recharge my battery for the next rolls - keeps me technical too. I've been trying to strain less anyway lately and this helps me get in that groove. My gym spars a lot - sometimes up to an hour straight with minimal to no breaks - so this is fine with me, that can get pretty tiring. I go VERY slow and careful when going for a sub - women are often very flexible so you have to be careful.

For awhile I would give them sweeps and go for leg locks etc but that got old and I think they actually appreciate a real roll more.

She's fast and accurate. I didn't say Olympic caliber.
But I guess those women are slow and sloppy since YOU'VE never seen them.

Dont get offended so easily. I said I hear these stories from time to time and if I then meet the women its nothing like that. This over a time frame of many years. Once I watched a sparring session of a female world champ in boxing vs. a 2 year trained man without a fight (talented) in boxing and he was way more technical.

And I also did not meant olympic caliber. Just technical & powerful stand up. Happy to hear they are out there.

It’s TKD, just shoot a sloppy Royce Gracie take down and then pound her the fuck out!!!!

As a white belt female,125 pounds, new to bjj but mma junkie... it is interesting to read these opinions. I often worry that the guys don’t want to drill or roll with me, But it is hard to know if that is just in my head. Sherdog doesn’t help much.

I've had some great female drilling partners. They're not looking to teach me, not looking to prove my move doesn't work, they just go along with my drills and I give them the same courtesy.

I can't say if that's moreuniversal or just lucky. But I've also had the same luck with old people.

There's something about youth and testosterone that makes poor drilling partners. My experience anyway.

As a white belt female,125 pounds, new to bjj but mma junkie... it is interesting to read these opinions. I often worry that the guys don’t want to drill or roll with me, But it is hard to know if that is just in my head. Sherdog doesn’t help much.

It's the same even for men. Just in general, we've all got to accept that we're not going to get along with everyone. Don't over think it.

Back