What's your favorite way of passing the half shield guard (aka 93 guard or z guard?

kenpeters8

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's your favorite way of passing the half shield guard (aka 93 guard or z guard)?

The three best methods i've seen are the cradle pass, reverse sit, and davis pass.

Last edited:
What's your favorite way of passing the half shield guard (aka 93 guard or z guard)?

Stand, bring the knee shield as vertical as you can, hands on knees, thrust knees backwards at the same time as you baseball slide forwards. Marcelo Garcia

Phil Davis blew Liam McGeary's half guard to kingdom come and it was pretty sweet to watch.

Maia's success against multiple guys speaks for itself.

Cradles are secret op for passing knee shields, you heard it here first folks.

Last edited:
If the shield leg is too low, you can smash it down and pass to the back side.

If the shield leg is too high, you can enter into the over/under pass.

If the shield leg is just right, I'd back out of that guard. Then when you come back in, don't let him trap your leg again. Then you're not really dealing with knee shield guard anymore so it's easier to pass.

In the gi, I like to knee slide with long step grips. Without the gi, generally either pick up the bottom leg and go to Maia tripod, or reverse sit guillotine threat. I knee slide without the gi too but it's a lot looser.

Back