What's your favorite REM song?

In a Jan 1988 issue of Musician magazine, he said that the song was "incredibly violent" and added, "It's very clear that it's about using people over and over again".[4]

To be fair to you, this works with your assertion too. Either way, brilliant song.

Ultimately it’s about what it’s about to you. For you it’s about a head case. To me it’s about giving your heart to a soulless whore even though you promised you wouldn’t.

I'd go with, "Daydreamer" and "Find the River"

It's all in jest, the man is talking about how women are basically toy props he uses to 'occupy his time.'

The brilliance of this song is that it is so soothing and romantic sounding, people overlook the true meaning of it.

Unless you're contending the lyrics are spoken from the whore's point of view. That's interesting.
I don't believe he's talking about women. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

How has this song not been mentioned yet??

And for the kid inside of you....

Amanita is the name, they cover over everything

Don't go back to Rockville
Orange Crush
Circus Envy

no problem, before their first album was wack, and to be honest me hate all indie music.

Unless you're contending the lyrics are spoken from the whore's point of view.

I listened to it again a couple of times and yeah I guess I always have taken the view that it is being sung about the listener not that it is a narration of the listeners thoughts. So yeah its about being mocked by a sloot to me. I love the lack of love, love song aspect of it.

I Believe from Life's Rich Pageant, I think. But I was a big REM fan in my teen years and played this album, Murmur, and Reckoning countless times. They have tons of great songs. Maybe Shaking Through from Murmur?

Last edited:

How has this song not been mentioned yet??

And for the kid inside of you....

I don't know why Stipe hated Shiny Happy People and regrets ever recording it

Stand hasn't been mentioned and it's pretty good. I know it's a Roy orbison cover but they still did a good job with it

Anything off of Life's Rich Pageant, great album. Also am a big fan of Oddfellows Local 151

Back