What's your 2018 GOTY?

Eazy123

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I realize Smash comes in a couple of weeks so I won't make this a poll, but this year saw a lot of good releases. What are your favorites this year?

I'd have to say mine (In order) are RDR2, Celeste and Spider-Man.

AC Odyssey as runner up.

The Quiet man.

Runner up: Fallout 76

For me to poop on.

RDR2 easily.

I haven't played a lot of new games this year, but Red Dead Redemption easily.

I ran through doom 2016 again earlier in the year instead of buying a new game.

Nothing this year on a console got me to buy.

Pc is a different story though, but i don’t think anything I played on it was new for 18 either??

Yeah I’m old :(

Red Dead 2 by a long shot.

Smash can come out, it will be a good game of course but it won't do anything revolutionary on the level of RDR 2.

Oddly enough I've had more enjoyment from Kirby: Star Allies than any other game this year.
Waiting on Smash and Just Cause 4 though.

Mind you I need a pro-controller to actually get the most out of platformers on Switch so Mega Man 11 and Celeste have to wait (my thumb covers all four buttons (and then some), and no d-pad on the main switch controller. There are some good PC games, a few really good horror games like Remothered and Visage. Subnautica is good. Dragonball Fighterz is very fun. Octopath Traveller is excellent. Chuchel is a cool little game. Overload is great.

Don't own a PS4 but there's one in the house. Not into RDR 2 or really Rockstar games in general outside of their concepts, felt like a slog. Messing around in Spidey is fun, but it's not my game so I didn't play much of it (actual missions/story mode seemed like a drag though), my brief time with God of War was fine, but there wasn't really anything special about it (the franchise has always been a fun but nothing special beat 'em up franchise, though I despite Kratos as a character so it doesn't help things).

Haven't played AC: Odyssey, but the only thing that has ever really interested me about the franchise are the locations. Haven't played Far Cry 5. Haven't played Monster Hunter: World, but I always thought the combat was slow in MH games (same with the Souls franchise). Haven't played Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Haven't played the Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna dlc/individual game yet (not until I get Kos-Mos damnit). Haven't played the new Mario Party or Mario Tennis. Haven't played Soul Calibur 5. Haven't played Call of Cthulhu. I know Darksiders III is coming out very soon as well.

RDR2

Then FC5

MHW followed by RDR2. I have 880 hours in MHW so to say I don’t like the game would be a lie.

Hitman 2

Honorable mention: Frostpunk

I think RDR2 is the best game, but my favorite game of the year was God of War.

RE7 in VR is worth honorable mention for me.

1. astro bot
2. god of war
3. celeste
4. red dead redemption 2
5. thronebreaker

I've been incredibly disappointed this year so I'm going to pick Rust.

BFV has potential to be great but it's not there yet. I like the games-as-a-service model and this is the first major post-Fortnite game to do it. We'll have to see how things turn out next month with the Tides of War patch and the Battle Royale in March before I can really make a determination. Right now it's a great shooter with great graphics and maps, it's just a bit light on the content and the UI is mostly terrible, especially the menus out of the game. The singleplayer is also trash.

But the prospect of free DLC has me intrigued and I understand why it's content light at launch.. all the content is going to be added for free as the war progresses. Right now it's early war equipment and factions. I'm reasonably certain the first major patch will add USA if not the Japanese too with both of their gear. Eventually we'll see Russia, and probably France and Italy.

CoD was a major letdown.. I thought it was going to kill Fortnite but it seems like it's barely been able to handle finishing off PUBG let alone scratch Fortnite's armor.

It's just not very fun or balanced. Zombie mode sucks and their multiplayer is even more of a joke. Blackout can be enjoyable, but it's so cobbled together. A very rushed game that tried to do too much too quickly and everything suffers.

RDR2 is on console so it doesn't count for me.

Last edited:
BFV has potential to be great but it's not there yet.
Yeah, if BFV released in a more "finished" state (without so much content blatantly missing, from the battle royale mode to minor things like vehicle customization) there's a very good chance it'd be one of my picks for GOTY. I still wish they hadn't shoved it out the door so soon, because the game itself is incredibly fun.

Yeah, if BFV released in a more "finished" state (without so much content blatantly missing, from the battle royale mode to minor things like vehicle customization) there's a very good chance it'd be one of my picks for GOTY. I still wish they hadn't shoved it out the door so soon, because the game itself is incredibly fun.

EA probably just needed something on the book for Q4 so they just released what was ready and playable. I also think after all their marketing gaffs they had to get it out because the delays would just make them look worse... and they ended up saving face because the game itself even without all the proposed features and content is still damn good and a lot of fun.

The visuals and audio are top notch. No one is doing it better especially when you consider the performance of the game and the number of players on the maps. Most games that look this good run like crap. The game looks and sounds better on the lowest settings than running Call of Duty totally maxed out.

I’ve put triple the amount of hours into SFV:AE than I have any other game. Although the game was released in 2016, I feel Arcade Edition really brought the game up. Still plenty of work, but I think they’re heading in the right direction. I just enjoy the 1v1 aspect of fighting games in general. It’s a great outlet for me since I can’t wrestle anymore.

GOW so far has been the only game to take me away from SFV and I absolutely loved the game. I played it from start-to-finish non-stop and it was an amazing ride.

Dead Cells for the Switch was also a fantastic game I have sunk many hours into while on travel. If you haven’t picked it up, I recommend doing so.

I have RDR2 installed but haven’t fired it up and I doubt I will until I reach Plat in SFV.

Still needs to finish RDR2 and I only just got God of War. The only other contender is Spiderman which I enjoyed a lot. Right now I have RDR2 slightly ahead of Spiderman but I'm not counting out GOW.

Ever since I tried VR I bought one and only play VR. I am addicted to Pavlov for VR. Its basicly counterstrike. Its not made from the same people but its like the exact same thing. Same guns same menu same type of graphics and same type of setup. If anyone plays Pavlov on VR hit me up and we'll play together

I’d still put God of War above RDR2. Very close though.

Back