What's worse? Belt stripped or defending belt and lost?

Can see why you might say this, but in reality when you look at the overall legacy of the fighter... a closely fought title fight doesn't seem to mean shit. People only ever remember the winner.

Bones/Gus was clearly close and many still argue the verdict to this day... but will the majority of people remember Gustaffson the "almost champ"? Or will they simply remember JBJ the undefeated LHW dynamo?
Also good point

What would you rather have happened to you? I'd rather take the loss. At least I actually attempted to defend my title/belt unlike someone..................you know. It's only a matter of time before we hear his loud mouth saying,

"I never lost the belt. I'm still the champ"

Even if you lose you still get paid. Since we are talking about a champion. That likely involves ppv money as well. Pretty simple question to answer.

Not sure how guys think getting stripped hurts your legacy and career less. Looking back at all the truly great champions, I can't recall any of them being stripped of the title in a scenario that would be more respectful than going out and leaving it all in the cage/ring. Guys that get stripped moving up a weight class are one thing, kudos to them in doing so. but other than that, you get stripped for not fighting a challenger in the wings/inactivity or drug failures... Conor fans now making being stripped a smart move?!

No you're totally right, going back a couple of years there are no major champs of those times who were ever stripped of the title. Because it was much less common for fighters to pursue belts outside their own weight divisions/sports. We have allowed that to become acceptable and are of course therefore partially to blame.

Regardless... if I address your point re Conor being stripped for not defending: To the average fan, Conor remains undefeated as an MMA champ - they don't necessarily look into the finer details re ducking of legit opponents or hand-picking of fights... EXACTLY the same applies to Floyd Mayweather. And look at how they're regarded. Like legends of the sport. I appreciate this applies to more uneducated fans, but they make up the majority of the populace at the end of the day. Conor being stripped is not a smart move necessarily, but at the same time... when you look at the facts... he remains undefeated. And both the guys who competed for the vacant 145 belt had previously been beaten by McGregor if dominant fashion. And McG won the 155 belt by dominating a guy who was long considered among the best 155 fighters in the world. In this instance... it's obvious that until McGregor is beaten in either of these divisions, the integrity of those belts are in huge doubt. Making McGregor the only real winner.

What would you rather have happened to you? I'd rather take the loss. At least I actually attempted to defend my title/belt unlike someone..................you know. It's only a matter of time before we hear his loud mouth saying,

it depends on the perspective you take.

1) if you lose: at least you gave it a shot. More importantly, at least you gave someone else the same opportunity you were given

2) a loss looks worse then not having that loss on your record. Period.

so it depends, I guess

defending and losing. getting it stripped shows you didn't deserve to be there in the first place

As far as your manhood goes being stripped is worse. If you lose fuck at least you tried.

I like the GSP vacation route.
*Vacation until someone comes up that is a blind senior citizen that you beat in practice and may beat again - if not, stay excuse ridden, retired and 'sick'*

"I, as a prime aged GOAT contender middleweight, am only interested in fighting handicapped senior citizens and featherweights" .

<{gspressed}>

#DuckSPGunnaDuckSP

hqdefault.jpg

<Fedor23>

Personally I’d rather go out on my shield, then running away from a fight with said shield on my back. At least they could say I’d had the courage to defend again and again. Conor will NEVER be close to a great at actual combat with 0 title defenses. When u have guys like Silva, GSP, and Mighty Mouse who just kept beating the best in the world year after year

Every fighter should just keep on fighting until every last Sherdogger says it's okay to take a vacation or retire. That's the only honorable thing to do

You're thinking like human. Conor is thinking like the representative of lifestyle brands associated with success.....

A loss would be way worse for business (especially a man-rape session from Khabib) than getting stripped.

Conor could give up fighting and say he never lost a belt. Its just better for his brand and his brands than the alternative....

If you're capable of fighting and you aren't because of smoke and mirrors, getting stripped without a doubt. This as far as a fighters fighter goes. I know the belt brings money but this is about fear, and Conor is afraid. Afraid of losing the prestige of being a champion because he's not going back to FW. This just looks bad.

Losing gives you a shoop thread on Sherdog.

Stripping gives you the eternal shame of being called a duck on Sherdog.

depends on why you are getting stripped. I would probably take the loss, but again, it depends on why I would be stripped.

Well normally when someone is stripped it's due to an injury/illness

in conor's case
he is scared of losing and loses out on a payday
he'd rather fight gsp and lose or another boxing match and lose that, make $, have an excuse (not my weight/not my sport)
then come back and defend his title
he loses that
instant rematch
then maybe a fight with nate

he loses out on $ so he is holding the ufc hostage

If I was a Superbowl winning quarterback and had millions in the bank and was up for a new contract I'd rather sit out than get low balled. If I bring money into the organization I would expect to get paid according to how much I bring in. On the other hand, If I signed a contract to get a certain amount of money then I would honor that contract and negotiate when the contract is over.

The worst is getting your shit pushed in by a skinny fat gatekeeper pothead, and still pretending you're a champ.

I swear the dudes with older accounts make the best posts.

Back