what's up with chanting/yelling OUS!!

Yeah, it's a Japanese thing.

A general respectful acknowledgment.

My Shotokan instructor in college had us saying it when we bowed and such all the time.

It's a Mauy Thai thing after a good leg kick or knee. From my gym anywhay.....

osu is more like hey or yo. i dunno why people would do it all the time though.

Funny this showed up.
Robson Moura would always say this after he instructed us on a technique. Like the mindless robots we are we repeated it back.
One day somebody asked him what it means because he always says it and ends emails and posts with "ossssss!".

He said in Brazil it is like saying what's up? or hey! if you run into somebody on the street. In class it means understand? or understood!

Got it? Ossssss!

The times I use osu:
1. Tough workouts and I need a pickmeup
2. When my sensei tells me to do something
3. Every once in awhile before a randori session

this gets me to thinking about kiai's... most judo people I know kiai when going for a throw to help explode.. why don't bjj'ers kiai when going for sweeps or submissions?

It's actually "Osu!"
It significes something along the lines of being in readiness and willing.
It's commonly used in kyokushin karate and other japanese martial arts.

Do people here even know how to read other posts?

no, most of us are all self absorbed and figure that even if we do post the same thing others post, what i type is more important.

no, most of us are all self absorbed and figure that even if we do post the same thing others post, what i type is more important.

yes and most of us are all self absorbed and figure that even if we do post the same thing others post, what i type is more important.

To add an anecdote. When I was in Japan I would have some young people say this to me in a sort of "sup?" manner. Also, I saw it used in BJJ competition when people would prepare themselves to take a grip in tachi waza (stand up) and were trying to encourage themselves and express that they were willing to continue.

The other theory to the origins of this word has been taken from the kanji used to write the word in Japanese. The first kanji is the Japanese verb osu which means "push." It symbolizes the combat spirit, the importance of effort and the necessity to overcome all obstacles, push them aside and advance with a steady positive attitude. The second kanji is the Japanese verb shinobu which means "endure" or "hide." It refers to the notion of pain and expresses the idea of courage, the spirit of perseverance and the resistance to withdrawal.

Sauce: Kase Ha Sh

Last edited:
We say it in Judo when sensei tells us to do something, or asks us if we are ready for randori or a drill, or if we understand a technique.

Whether or not thats how they do it in Japan or Brazil, I couldn't tell you.

yes and most of us are all self absorbed and figure that even if we do post the same thing others post, what i type is more important.

like i was saying... :icon_chee

Took a traditional full contact karate when I was younger and I was told it was also used as a form of military greeting.

In my academy it's sort of a war cry, sort of like kiai but a little different. Near the end of the rolling session, we're all tripping over our tongues and dead tired, and someone will always yell "OSSSSSSU!" to indicate willingness and the spirit of never giving up.

After the sensei finishes explaining something we either say "Hai" which means yes in Japanese. It's not a question of being a japanophile any more than Judokas usually say juji-gatame instead of armbar. Most japanese expressions in BJJ are carried over from judokas who take pride in the tradition of their sport. When we say "ossu" after the sensei has finishes explaining something, it's not a "I understand!" but more like a "I'm ready to do it!"

Back