what's up with chanting/yelling OUS!!

teamventure09

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
my gym just recently started doing it. does yelling OUS in unison come from brazil or something?
where does it come from?

Last edited:
I'm confused. Please post a video of you doing this.

are you referring to when the crowd yells Oyy after a good kick or strike lands? It's a Muay Thai thing. If not, I've got nothing I've never seen that done or heard of it before.

are you referring to when the crowd yells Oyy after a good kick or strike lands? It's a Muay Thai thing. If not, I've got nothing I've never seen that done or heard of it before.

no like when a blackbelt gets on the mat or when you circle up at the end of practice everyone yells OUC! not Oyy!

no like when a blackbelt gets on the mat or when you circle up at the end of practice everyone yells OUC! not Oyy!

Never heard that one before, I have no clue in the slightest. Sounds like chant to end a class to me, but I have no idea where that would have originated from.

It's an old carry over from Japan, I think (we used to do it in karate, now we do it occasionally in BJJ)

I have absolutely no idea what it means but near as I can tell it's like saying yes sir/war cry/ready/giving respect all in one strange word. :redface:

isn't it just goodbye/thank you in japanese?

I guess some people use it just like strikers who breath out when throwing a punch so their lungs won't be full when they get hit, you don't want to land and get your air knocked out of you

I was told it's a way to "recognize" someone, or to say you understand

More than likely it's being used incorrectly in most places. Often I see players saying it when they bow to each other.

I'm seeing this more and more.

A lot of the BJJ guys I see on Facebook (Xande Ribeiro, people commenting on Andre Galvao's wall, and a lot of other places) are ending their comments with OSS or osssssssss or ossu.

I looked it up and it seems to be something derived from Japan that's technically being used incorrectly but can be used to end class or show respect.

It is from Karate.

Every time they meet each other they greet by saying Ous.

every time the sensei says something, then the student replie by Ous.

Lot of Carlson Gracie students uses the Ous!

some people even conclude their post in the forum with a Ous.

Regarding the Origin of "Osu!" two theories are prevailing.

The first one comes from Dr. Mizutani Osamu, a linguistics professor at the University of Nagoya and his work

haha! Ossss! The Atos team says it a lot, especially the mendes bros. Check their fan page

As above. It's "Osu", not "ous". The "u" at the end of a word is often nearly completely dropped in Japanese.

Edit: I had no idea any BJJ guys were doing this. For me, it's one of the more obnoxious parts of e.g. Kyokushin.

I was told it's a way to "recognize" someone, or to say you understand

More than likely it's being used incorrectly in most places. Often I see players saying it when they bow to each other.

Osu!

It's a word that means anything, mostly in a SIR YES SIR SIR NO SIR way. I know that from my King of Fighters days :p

Back