What's this type of body shot defense called?

Draper

Bronze Bomber
@purple
Reaction score
I've seen Mayweather do this in a couple of his fights, where he kind of jumps away from a body shot, sometimes throwing a jab when his feet land. What's the technical term for that and who else uses this technique in boxing?

Do you mean they way he shucks his hips backward while keeping his arms aloft for balance? Cos if it's that then I don't know that it does have a name. He's just doing a pullback with his hips. It looks like what a Matador does to avoid the bulls charge.

Incidentally, you see this technique used a lot in Muay Thai to avoid body kicks.

Last edited:
Step back i guess? You better be moving out of range if you do it because the other person will likely double up the hooks (body-head) and if you lean in as your hips go out, you'll get clipped. Gotta have fast feet for this.

Lol just saw that in an instruction vid on unorthodox defense moves

(But i don't know how unorthodox it really is tbh)

Just a hopstep to bounce out of range and fade away from the body shot attempts. You can pivot away to be more efficient or do a quick hop-pivot to get out of there and get an angle.

I've seen Mayweather do this in a couple of his fights, where he kind of jumps away from a body shot, sometimes throwing a jab when his feet land. What's the technical term for that and who else uses this technique in boxing?

Can't really stand this guy but by god he is one of the most skilled boxers I have ever seen. At his peak He made A level boxers look amateur.

It's called "Stuff that only Floyd Mayweather does"

camacho used to do that and the critics tore him apart for it. can't think of any other fighters who've done it so it's not a common move.

Back